GrahamU

GrahamU's 2.0 TFSI with DSG

Todays main job was to fit the moonroof

First job, colour the sliding cover black to match the rest of the interior

I was going to recover it but it didnt easily want to come out of the frame so I got sprayed

IMG_1731_zpszyngev21.jpg

Managed to get it fitted reasonably well but I did need a washer between the frame and the roof as it was sitting to high

IMG_1732_zpsraun0c1c.jpg

Moved onto the climate control problem, started by cutting 2 perfectly good dash centres, one early and one late, which turned out to be a mistake

IMG_1733_zpshrrwin4f.jpg

IMG_1734_zps6cqhhodn.jpg

After cutting I trial fitted and realised the difference in the dashes to allow for the larger heater control is taken up the height of the vents

IMG_1735_zpszppa5jkb.jpg

IMG_1736_zpsjycq2nyo.jpg

IMG_1737_zps3chyqjw0.jpg

So the moral of the story is check everything properly, the measure twice and cut once

I have now wasted 2 good dash parts which seem to be worth a fair bit on ebay :(

I now need a new plan of attack for this

Took a little trip to Hertfordshire at the weekend where I part ex'd some black doors and tailgate for my red doors and tailgate (thanks veedub-Dave) so that will make it easier to spray, the insides are good so just a blow over for them.

Tailgate is now sprayed,

Stripped it all yesterday, welded the wiper hole and went over with a scim of filler then sprayed it today

IMG_1746_zpsknw3qcxy.jpg

Edited by rado20vT

Good luck with it all. The roof is a good read and would be a great fix solution for all our fragile units

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Been quite some time since I last updated this, mainly because I have been away for about half the year last year and till now this year, so not much has happened since my last update.

But today I ventured out into the garage to see what I could do.

Started by flatting the tailgate, I still need to do the rest of the car but I need to move it first :(

Flatted it with 1500 then 3000 and 6000 and got a good finish from that, need to polish it now

IMG_2636_zpsjs3ruqdj.jpg

Then moved onto one of the doors, stripped it first and then rubbed it back ready to be sprayed

IMG_2635_zpsfh5ckrla.jpg

So with summer coming I'm due a load of holiday so I'm getting back in the mood for working on the old girl

Out of the 4 day weekend I managed to get some time in the garage on Monday afternoon so I turned to the wiring for the central locking unit.

The original idea, about a year ago, was to sleeve the wires in some good quality thinwall DR heatshrink and put on new crimp terminals. Unfortunately, after a year of sitting around, I spent 2hrs looking for the connector, I then gave up trying to find that one and spent another 30 minutes finding another connector from an old harness.

Still, its done now and has nice new shiney terminal on it :)

As most of my afternoon was wasted I thought I'd finish of with removing the rubber guide bits from the spoiler so I could stick them in the dishwasher to try and clean. The screw were not tight as It was removed before to spray it and I knew it had to come of again but as I unscrewed the right side I heard a clunk as I removed the screw and found the plastic area around the nut inserts had broke off.

Tonight I superglued the plastic back together and then reinforced them with high strength DP490 glue

IMG_2658_zpsoqq1ytfy.jpg

IMG_2659_zpsnr81jgbo.jpg

I dont think it liked being neglected for a year :(

Nice to see a glimmer of Progress graham! (hi on here btw)

I had the same issue with spoiler mounts, but luckily mine cracked slightly and just lost the insert so managed to get a nut and washer inside the boot to sort it.

Mine has liked sitting in bits for 2 months let alone a year!

Hope you have more luck next time you set upon it!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hope you have more luck next time you set upon it!

Cheers Spud

More time to work on it today, this getting to be a habit :)

Got the new crimp terminals on the left side tailgate harness

IMG_2662_zps9wniduzt.jpg

So got the carpets in the boot

IMG_2665_zpsze6kdvtq.jpg

IMG_2664_zpss3lsiqnl.jpg

The spoiler is back in, checked to make sure it works and all wired up. I also put in the electric tailgate release back in

IMG_2666_zpsd7tlagmr.jpg

I also started putting the windows back in

IMG_2663_zpsdxm9gbga.jpg

Hoping the wife is in a good mood tomorrow so I can get out there again :)

Cheers Spud

More time to work on it today, this getting to be a habit :)

Got the new crimp terminals on the left side tailgate harness

IMG_2662_zps9wniduzt.jpg

So got the carpets in the boot

IMG_2665_zpsze6kdvtq.jpg

IMG_2664_zpss3lsiqnl.jpg

The spoiler is back in, checked to make sure it works and all wired up. I also put in the electric tailgate release back in

IMG_2666_zpsd7tlagmr.jpg

I also started putting the windows back in

IMG_2663_zpsdxm9gbga.jpg

Hoping the wife is in a good mood tomorrow so I can get out there again :)

Did you get the rear windows bonded in yourself?

Hateful to get out, that's why I paid someone else for a change haha

Did you get the rear windows bonded in yourself?

Hateful to get out, that's why I paid someone else for a change haha

Yes mate, removed them myself now putting back myself, hopefully no leaks :)

I want to update the rear brakes so I made a start after seeing this on vortex.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5407910-mk4-rear-brakes-on-mk3-No-drilling-and-welding

I looked at getting the complete rear brake setup from a Polo or lupo but thought there must be a slightly cheaper way to do it that will allow more people to do it.

I started with this rear drum from a 1.4 polo for £20 of ebay

IMG_2673_zpsqjjetrtj.jpg

stripped it down

IMG_2677_zpsnlqvpaey.jpg

Will use the stub axle and the hub/bearing carrier although I may modify the backplate aswell as it is just bigger than the disk

IMG_2682_zpso5ajmncw.jpg

Next bit I need to decide how I want to do it, the stub axle, being from a drum brake has no way to fix the caliper, but I will machine down the old Corrado stub bolt it in place to fit the caliper, I think I need to get some carriers from a mk4 golf or make a spacer to fit the Corrado carriers fit.

I'll update this after I get the part machined

That's an interesting way to do this, I did something similar but used Lupo stub axle back-plates, MK5 polo 6N2 stub axles and 4 stud hubs, MK4 golf anniversary caliper carriers and Seat Leon Cupra R calipers which clamps on to 256mm discs,but I recon your way will be more cost effective.

Are you running 5 or 4 stud wheels ?

That's an interesting way to do this, I did something similar but used Lupo stub axle back-plates, MK5 polo 6N2 stub axles and 4 stud hubs, MK4 golf anniversary caliper carriers and Seat Leon Cupra R calipers which clamps on to 256mm discs,but I recon your way will be more cost effective.

Are you running 5 or 4 stud wheels ?

The lupo and polo parts dont seem to come up often and when they do the sellers seem to ask a premium price so I'm hoping this will work and gives another option

I'm running 4 stud and the hub I have is 4 stud, the disk is a spare I had in the garage which is 5 stud, I can either re-drill or buy some polo disks or maybe I'll go overkill and fit some 256 vented to go with the 305mm fronts :)

The lupo and polo parts dont seem to come up often and when they do the sellers seem to ask a premium price so I'm hoping this will work and gives another option

I'm running 4 stud and the hub I have is 4 stud, the disk is a spare I had in the garage which is 5 stud, I can either re-drill or buy some polo disks or maybe I'll go overkill and fit some 256 vented to go with the 305mm fronts :)

256 rear vented is what I'm running, I used 16v front discs for this and they fit and work perfect, I will have to start build thread and post the pics.

256 rear vented is what I'm running, I used 16v front discs for this and they fit and work perfect, I will have to start build thread and post the pics.

I like your style :)

Get that build up

At the moment I am putting my Golf R in the garage overnight which means the corrado is against the racking and its a pain to get to anything along that side so today was another little sideline project to allow me to move the car

IMG_2687_zpsp36v06ge.jpg

IMG_2688_zpsq9hcvfbg.jpg

IMG_2689_zpsfligdwft.jpg

Only got enough to do the rear wheels but that makes things alot easier

I then spent way to long trying to work out what was wrong with my rear seat belts because they would not pull out when I took them out of the box only to find that if you bolt them in place they magically work perfectly :)

You know you can buy those wheel trolleys for like 50 quid for a set of 4.. 😉

Shouldn't you be working on the car instead of making skids?

Any excuse not to do it eh 😉

You know you can buy those wheel trolleys for like 50 quid for a set of 4.. ��

I thought they were 50 and pair, But why spend 50 quid when I can make them with bits lying around the garage for free :)

Decided to kinda follow Bauhaus's idea of the 256 rear disks but rather than buy another set of rear calipers from a TT or CupraR I wanted to keep the mk4 calipers I have already.

A little surfing of the net and I found that some of the mk3 golfs had 256 solid disks on the front and they are 4 stud, winner :) and the motor factor across from my work (Exhaust unlimited) gave me some discount so they were £25 the pair.

IMG_2696_zpsso0xysj8.jpg

IMG_2694_zpsjg6eswr4.jpg

I took the corrado stub axles to a local engineering company to have the stub removed and leave the back plate but they told me it would be better for me to remove the stub with a saw or grinder as that is what they would do and I would be paying them to do it, so I'll cut it of and take it back to be machined flat although it looks like I'll get a new plate made for the larger disks

Looking great! How has the paint come up? I am debating on cellulose or 2k paint when I get to mine, has your paint hardened well? My father sprayed his 1930's ford with 2k and it seems quite soft, scratches easily?

The brake idea is good, what's stopped you going 5 stud out of interest? (For the greater array of oem/aftermarket brake upgrades etc)

rado20vT Glad you found it useful mate, also if using solid discs the Polo 6N2 (I used 9N) stub axles have cast in lugs to mount your caliper carriers to, not tried it myself but considered it before going with vented discs. The link below shows what I mean, it all lines up but may need tweaking to accommodate a larger disk.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/bluecorrado/20170430_024523.jpg