Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

Steering racks adjustable?

Hi all,

I was wondering if there's any adjustment possible in the steering rack for the VR6? I'm not seeing any noticeable side-to-side movement through the rack, but I have a feeling it's not right, might be clunking, and I have weird feel through the wheel sometimes. I was told there may be an adjuster bolt that will tighten up a worn rack?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Where might it be, if it exists?

Ta,

Matt.

Interesting, i was talking to Kevhaywire about the steering rack last night. he was saying my steering was alot more positve tnan his and the only thing mine has had new that his hasnt is a new steering rack at about 70k..

i'll double check that it was definately a new rack and the price on the recipt when i get home.

not sure about adjustments though

The rack is non-serviceable but its worth checking for play in the trackrod ball joints and TRE's, check wishbone bushes and ball joints while you are there along with the CV joints, wheels bearings etc....

IIRC, there are two bolts at one end and a bush at the other end of the rack, check the condition of the bushes, and that the bolts are tight.............i think there was a 'tightening' mech. on the non-p/s racks on golfs.

Obviosly check the items Supercharged has mensioned too.

....i think there was a 'tightening' mech. on the non-p/s racks on golfs.

Yeah, my Golf has one of those. Its a tiny bolt near where the steering column meets the rack. Funnily enough my steering rack is worn and I keep having to tighten the bolt every month or two. Hopefully I can just get away with it till I sell the car :(

Yep what Kangarooboy has mentioned is the adjuster for removing free play. Turn it too far in either direction though and it introduces a left or right bias to the steering ! I don't know if power racks have that adjuster though. If there is an adjuster and tuning it has no effect, the rack is past it.

K

You can adjust the power steering rack on a 2.0 16v, very similar to adjusting that on a non PAS Golf Mk2, but you need a large allen key type tool instead of a normal spanner/socket.

The problem is, knowing how much adjustment is required, on a non PAS rack you can feel it through the steering weight/self centralisation when driving but with the power rack you are recomended to take the rack out of the car and tighten until input shaft can just be operated by hand.

More details of this can be found in the Haynes manual for Passats 1988 -1991.

Not sure if its the same on a VR6, but worth checking.

Interesting, maybe I'll have a chat with Vince, see if he knows what the options are with this stuff.