CorradoWannabe

Corrado R32 Storm

Clicking behind passenger rear quarter could be the relay for heated seat switch. turn both the heated seats off and see if it still happens

Jon - you are a genius - thanks for this! It was indeed the passenger heated seat - which has never worked anyway! :)

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Cobra alarm fitted today by Andy - did an excellent job - very please (http://www.trim-wizard.co.uk) - he also replaced a fuse which fixed interior lights and the sunroof. I can now get in to the car and start it without setting the alarm off and feeling an idiot!

Major issue now is the hesitation when first pulling away - today was the first time I was driving in town and this was a nightmare!

Hoping for a trip to Stealth in the new year and also to get lots of photos up here, along with some videos.

Jon - you are a genius - thanks for this! It was indeed the passenger heated seat - which has never worked anyway! :)

Glad to be of help mate, its probably a loose connection in the heated seat element causing it to click constantly...not the relay as people usually think

Glad to be of help mate, its probably a loose connection in the heated seat element causing it to click constantly...not the relay as people usually think

This is true. If the relay is clicking, it's working. It's when it sticks that they need replacing.

Major issue now is the hesitation when first pulling away - today was the first time I was driving in town and this was a nightmare!

Probably just the flyby wire throttle pedal. Mine was the similar, wasnt a hesitation but very sensitive throttle so it was hard to drive smoothly at low rpms.

Probably just the flyby wire throttle pedal. Mine was the similar, wasnt a hesitation but very sensitive throttle so it was hard to drive smoothly at low rpms.

I thought it was about me getting used to the car - but something is definitely not right. When you first press the accelerator down the revs drop - rather than go up - and the engine almost cuts out. Reminds me of when I had a loose connection to the MAF on the VR6. Need to check connections / hoses when I get a chance.

if i'm right this does not have a fly by wire throttle body as i'm sure Ben modded the manifold to run a standard vr6 throttle body?? to loose the r32 jerkiness in traffic and to make the mapping easier with the emerald ecu.

KADVR6 - you are right - looking at the specs it does have a modified throttle body to run a cable. Funny how others know this car better than me!

lol its because when i was doing my ill fated R32 conversion me and Ben were kinda helping each other out with little bits and the throttle body was one of those things, is it an obd1 or obd2 throttle body??

here is Bens thread about your car http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=biggerbigben+r32+corrado&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fthe-corrado.net%2Farchive%2Findex.php%2Ft-40319.html%3Fs%3Dbf02376bd1a88d9883ff578036194d76&ei=Rx72TpWoDdP78QOBhZSWDA&usg=AFQjCNFmIfGOM2t5ZRsAuMNEkXhHqF0rzQ

karl

Edited by KADVR6

Thanks for that link KAD - I'm now reading that thread in detail and learning loads about the car!

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Just seen that I actually posted on Ben's build thread on the 14th April 2009

The idea of the following post is NOT to de-value my car - or knock previous owners at all - just to try and illustrate how it is need of some TLC and some tidy up!

There are some detailed engine shots included.

It is kind of ironic how massive engine replacement work has been done and a major respray, yet little things, like clearing dead leaves out of the rear tailgate have not. It will be getting a full clean - inside and out - as soon as I've sorted out a house move and managed to get some time away from the wife and kids (meant in the nicest way in case you ever read this wifey!) i'll be sure to give it some attention.

(Taken on a borrowed SLR)

I never understand going to all the effort of removing an engine and not spending extra time to detail/finish the bay.

I never understand going to all the effort of removing an engine and not spending extra time to detail/finish the bay.

Looking at the build thread Ben got extremely busy towards the end of the build and then focused on getting essentials fixed to sell on. The owner I bought from had several other cars (including another Corrado) and this was part of the reason he was selling it.

When the remapping was done around August 2009 (that famous YouTube video) the mileage was said to be 9k - the mileage on it now is 9,429 miles - so 2 years of very little use it seems.

I hope I can tidy bits and pieces up and help 'finish' the car from a cosmetic point of view.

Engine wise - she is booked in for a session as Emerald (car is running K3 ECU) on Tuesday. I am hoping this will help a lot with some of the issues I've seen at low revs - and also give some official figures about the power the car is putting out.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Picture 4, that's horrible.................with a capital HORRIBLE!!!!!

It does look scary when you first see it! I thought car had been vandalised!

As the car is running the Emerald K3 ECU it requires far fewer inputs in to it (I think!) than the standard ECU does - hence those unconnected wires

After a really good clean,some decent tailights,it will look good as new !

How often do you have the bonnet up ? if not much dont worry about the disconnected wires,the car was built to drive,not to look under the bonnet !

Where abouts is the Emerald place your taking your car ?

Sadly the tail lights were actually put on by me in 2005 - wish I had not done it! Actually, I think the originals are still somewhere in my dad's shed!

Emerald are based in Norfolk - I should have checked exactly where before agreeing to the 10am appointment - going to take about 3 hours from south west london for me!

It does look scary when you first see it! I thought car had been vandalised!

As the car is running the Emerald K3 ECU it requires far fewer inputs in to it (I think!) than the standard ECU does - hence those unconnected wires

I think I'd be stripping all the unused wires out all the way back and then just looking for a multi pin plug with just enough pins to do the job. It's the small jobs like that which make it look finished!

I expect it's easy to forgive the car anything when you get on the gas with that motor though, I have the same engine in my TT and love it!!!

bit of a clean and some new stainless steel bolts in the engine bay it will look loads better.

i'm sure the detailing gurus can advise extensively, but as mentioned by Karl, stainless bolts go a long way to improving the appearance. I also found that polishing the inside of the bonnet (the cross bars etc) improved things no end, as did the area around the boot plus the boot struts. Wont take long, but you will appreciate the difference. I use Pink Wax (bought from a bodyshop) which is more of a polish than a wax so it will help to use a wax spray afterwards.

Should it spike that much??

Interesting read mate, congrats on getting the rado back!

I commented on that in his Emerald thread in Engine bay.

I think it's because the intake cam timing hasn't been configured. The power curve should be smooth on a 32, but the torque curve does spike. It should be peaking around 2750rpm then tail off. That's where the intake cam is at max advance, approx 40 degrees.

The torque curve can also be held flatter for longer by delaying the intake switchover to ~ 4500rpm. Standard is 4000rpm.

The 5 - 7K ramp up is typical R32. That's the engine's natural power band. Everything below that is 'artificial', hence all the spikey curves ;)

Bloody hell Kev, man in the know eh!

Are these any worse on fuel then vr's?

Do you remember that episode of Alan Partridge where his fan/stalker had loads of Alan Partridge masks in his house?

Well, Kev's garage is much the same except instead of masks it's VR6 engine blocks, intake manifolds and various other VR stuff :D