Redfox

Corrado as a family car etc?

Hi all,

Just thinking that it may not be every and all Corrado owner who use their Corrado for tossing around b-roads and tracks or as a shelf-queen, but maybe somehing in line with family, or vacation, or moving things around, or towing a caravan/trailer, or? Or just all of them.

It would be most nice with a pic or two ;)

What say you Corrado owners?

Cheers,

Redfox.

I use mine daily and the child seat fits nicely in the back. Used it a couple of times for going kayaking but a roof rack would be handy...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50726[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50727[/ATTACH]

I seem to remember a pic of Kev's VR with a tonne of wood on the roof! :lol:

Would hate to use the C as a proper family car. Its OK occasionally, but really annoying having to actually climb into the back just to strap the kids in. They also trash it. Nice for going away in though (without the kids!).

Mine's daily drive, have done a few trips as a family - my wife and our 2 kids 6 and 10 - that's no problem. A holiday or probably trying to do a week's shopping would probably push the boot to the limit.

We bought our first Corrado, a 1990 16V in 95 when we already had two kids, one at four years and the other at two years so used a booster seat and a baby seat. We swapped that car in 2000 for the VR6 we still have now. From 95 to 05 it was our only car so fetched timber from Wickes on the roofrack, went to Ikea for flatpack furniture, took everything to the tip which needed to go and took a family of four on holiday a few times in between. We attended our first CCGB meet at Brooklands in 96 with a boot full of bags, pushchair etc as we were on the way to the south coast on holiday! I have personally never understood why people say they need a four dour car once they have kids, it always seems such a squeeze getting babies in and out of car seats through those tiny back doors?

Since retiring the C as regular everyday bus to weekend car and currently restoration project we've had such sensible family cars as a MkIII GTI an Audi S3, a MkIV R32 (all 2 doors) and currently a MkII 3.2 TT which after much soul searching we chose over a Porsche 911 as it has a hatchback and is therefore more practical! Both the girls have their own cars these days (one a Leon and the other a Lupo) but we have on occasion all squeezed into the TT!!!

We did around 50K miles in the valver and have currently done 80K in the VR6, all pretty much trouble free. I'm sure we'll start racking that up again when the VR is back on the road hopefully some time next year but probably the year after! Not many photos of it loaded up although there is one that I guess I've posted before when discussing roof racks!

Drive mine daily - to work, creche, playground, holidays and shopping. Often have two car seats in the back and the boot is large enough to take a buggy, and with the parcel shelf off and maybe a seat down more than enough room for a trip to IKEA. Only downside is the petrol and the fear of me or someone else doing damage to the car!

I don't think anyone disputes whether or not it 'can' be done, of course it can! It's just a case of priorities, would we rather continue to squeeze into a Corrado, having to make choices to leave certain things behind because they just wont go in, and being completely cramped - instead of being able to fit whatever you want/need in and being nice and comfortable on a long journey - I know what my choice is.

Last summer we (me, wife, son, dog, luggage for the lot of us) all crammed ourselves into the Corrado to go and visit my mother in Cardiff, never again :)

We bought our first Corrado, a 1990 16V in 95 when we already had two kids, one at four years and the other at two years so used a booster seat and a baby seat. We swapped that car in 2000 for the VR6 we still have now. From 95 to 05 it was our only car so fetched timber from Wickes on the roofrack, went to Ikea for flatpack furniture, took everything to the tip which needed to go and took a family of four on holiday a few times in between. We attended our first CCGB meet at Brooklands in 96 with a boot full of bags, pushchair etc as we were on the way to the south coast on holiday! I have personally never understood why people say they need a four dour car once they have kids, it always seems such a squeeze getting babies in and out of car seats through those tiny back doors?

Since retiring the C as regular everyday bus to weekend car and currently restoration project we've had such sensible family cars as a MkIII GTI an Audi S3, a MkIV R32 (all 2 doors) and currently a MkII 3.2 TT which after much soul searching we chose over a Porsche 911 as it has a hatchback and is therefore more practical! Both the girls have their own cars these days (one a Leon and the other a Lupo) but we have on occasion all squeezed into the TT!!!

We did around 50K miles in the valver and have currently done 80K in the VR6, all pretty much trouble free. I'm sure we'll start racking that up again when the VR is back on the road hopefully some time next year but probably the year after! Not many photos of it loaded up although there is one that I guess I've posted before when discussing roof racks!

Impressed...and impressed with 4 bikes on the roof.

...and impressed with 4 bikes on the roof.

It tugs a bit if you forget they're up there and throw it too hard into a corner!

What is the roof rack set up you have? In the Pic it looks like you have roof rails as well as clamping to the door frame

Cheers

It's the full Thule setup, looks like it has roof rails but the pieces that run front to back are supposed to clamp inside the door frame too and fix the rear bar. I still use them but clamped into the rear window rubbers because it lets you get the rear roof bar further back. It's over complicated and you don't really need the front to back bars but I didn't know that when I ordered them!

The photo might make it clearer.

Edited by tonedef
Spelling goof!

I use the 8 valve for all family events. From filling the boot with rubble, to stapping ladders on the roof and weekends away (Did an eight our weekend round trip to Whitby a few weeks ago and it performed flawlessly). We've got a four year old boy and he has loads of space in the back.

I enjoy driving the car so much that I want to use it all the time. Yes there's a few small things that I would change (shorter doors as Davidwort mentioned). But on the whole I wouldn't drive anything else for the money. There is no way you would see me into a eurobox human transportation device.

I upgraded to TT wipers/arms, uprated headlight loom for obvious reasons. And apart from that I changed the interior to leather (so it can be cleaned easily). All I need is some OE mud flaps and my daily will be perfect.

Ah, very nice pics of a fun use of the Corrado's. I like that. I too never understood why some people have to buy the largest stationwagon as soon as they get a baby?

Saw a guy driving his motorcycle today with a huge Christmas tree on top. In the 1950'ies there were many people who had a Fiat 500 and went on holiday with the whole family, dog, luggage etc. No worries. But of course it can be made more comtable ;)

I carried 7 Montana shelfboxes (70*70cm) in my Mk. II Golf, but I doubt that can be done in a Corrado ;) We'll see.

I would surely like that Thule rack, so will go after New Year to search for one. I think I once saw an original roof rack set for a Corrado?

I think I also saw a picture of a Corrado with half a Corrado as a trailer.

Cheers,

Redfox.