24V Renshaw

New garage - what to put in my want list?

We are currently in the throws of planning for our new extension on the house and part of the extension will be a new garage/workshop for me. Woohoo!

This will be effectively a room of the house, so think insulated, plastered, painted and heated with central heating radiators. It will be the garage for the Corrado but also be a workshop with a bench area to sit at etc..

The whole thing will be about 4m wide, enough to open the car doors and about 8m long, so plenty of room hopefully.

So. I am after ideas of clever things people have seen or have themselves in a garage.

I am not talking full on mega F1 garage stuff, although feel free to show little ideas, but more budget but quality touches.

So what you got?

Cheers

Jay

Heating

Lighting, preferable from several locations not just overhead

Power

Water

Drainage

Lots of shelving for storage

Hangers from the roof to store ladders etc (or loft space)

Electric door

Edited by Portent

Nice Jay... im jealous. Would love a room to work on the corrado out of the cold and wet.

How about a lift - or is that pushing it?

Failing the above - how about a pit?

Security?

Agree with all over the above suggestions by Portent.

hammock and LCD tv with satellite, then when the missus gives you grief?? hello garage

oh yeh and a beer fridge

Good news for you mate, I would love a garage.

My brother has just finished a garage extension. He fitted a roller shutter electric garage door. Works really well at keeping heat in as its got rubber gaskets at the sides and bottom. He plumbed in a rad for heat. Works very well.

You can get those ramps that lift up to waist height for about £1500, not too bad a price if you use it enough.

It will definitely have power all over the place, as well as good heating and insulation, as mentioned the intention is its like a lounge, but with a garage door at the end :)

I will have a large compressor in there so am intending to have air line connections round the whole garage too.

A lift or pit is not going to be an option, although I will have the upstairs floor above raised slightly so there is a decent ceiling height in the garage.

Jay

I recently did a DIY heating system in mine which is at bottom of garden, using an old electric shower and two small towel radiators. Filled the system up and it loops. Can't say it's very cheap but I only use it when I'm working in there.

LCD TV is a given ;)

To be honest I am more after clever ideas, things like a neat storage solution for something etc... Pics are always good too :)

Jay

Don't forget the semi naked model calendar!

Did the same with mine in reverse. Turned a garage into a small bungalow. Electric heated flooring is a good shout and wireless thermostatic control so when temp drops below required setting heating comes out to control moistures levels. So it's not going from cold to hot. Cheaper to heat this way also.

One good idea is to have a soak away or drainage and plumb drainage/pipe work to be able to clean floor and spills with ease.

If going for a pitched roof, consider a dry ridge system. Actually fixes ridge tiles to timbers and you don't see the mortar joins which usually fall out and can damage cars on driveways in heavy winds. It's a better job IMO than bedding them down.

Maybe touch too far.... But ventilation and oven style setup if you ever want to paint??

No roof to worry about, it will all be plaster boarded as there will be two bedrooms above it :)

I will have something like this as the start point.

c8f61f2f.jpg

Jay

When we changed the kitchen a few years back, we put the old one in the garage. Twelve foot worktop is the nuts. Stores all the power tools out of view. Compressor fits into an end cupboard, PC and monitor at one end, vice and grinder at the other. Top box is bolted to an extension, so as to not use up worktop space. One thing I've found over the years is that you can never have enough worktop surface. The old wall mounted Cupboards come in real handy as well.

Insulation is the key. Especially the floor.

Kitchen base units make great storage, worktops are great too. Also the wall units are great too. It helps that a couple of friends are kitchen fitters. A single run of base units would give you massive storage and a great big worktop area. All my worktop area is used as storage, but i have a seperate workshop next door, not for car stuff though :)

Excuse the messy ground, the monoblock will be finished this year :lol: And don't look to closely at the render as its a wee bit rough, it was a diy build though :)

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

Kitchen units was something I was planning on in a kind of L shape at the back corner, want to get them gloss white so everything is super clean when it's all packed away. Garage storage solutions are nice but massively over priced :)

This is my current space, ignore the fact that my two roller cabs are not under the bench but it's basically clear space where the car sits and then a bench at the end.

71209fe6.jpg

The new garage will be about 1m wider and 2m longer, so the far end will be a nice workshop space, plus it will be properly built rather than me trying to insulate a prefab garage!

Jay

I'm in plans to knock my old prefab garage down and build a nice new bigger one.

What the sizes youve gone for in your garage Renswaw??

Dont know how big to go, cant go to big but want to walk around the corrado.

I can go to 4m wide which is the space between the house and the edge of the plot. Would love to go a bit wider but can't complain! It will be about 7.5m long so a decent space give a corrado is probably 4m long at the very most.

As for the pit, I will ask the builder, but I think as our main drain runs right under it, it might be a prohibitive cost. Also I have no idea where the water table sits.

Jay

I'm in plans to knock my old prefab garage down and build a nice new bigger one.

What the sizes youve gone for in your garage Renswaw??

Dont know how big to go, cant go to big but want to walk around the corrado.

Well I will have a nice new prefab garage for sale in a few months, plenty big enough for walking round a corrado :)