Rams

Rear interior lights

Has anyone installed these into their C?

Evening all,

I like the way the BMW's have the slim rear lights which light up the back nicely. As the C had deeper seats and black interior is not so easy for passengers to see. Especially people who haven't sat in the back of a C before they get a shock when they drop down.

I've been thinking to install them into the rear trim pieces either side of the screen, can't remember the name for the rear pillars, but you know the ones I mean.

Pics would be excellent.

Also considering some floor-well lights, subtle light. Plus I don't want my door pods being scuffed!

Everyone is briefed more or less when entering and exiting my car! Lol

Cheers in advance

Rams

very keen on this - interested in others' ideas. I think OllieVR6 had mentioned something similar but imo in addition to the lights, how they fade in & out will also be important. I have them in the Audi so i know what i'm looking to do, just not sure about the overall light fading part of it, pus other locations as you've mentioned (for the rear)!

The rears are called C pillars !

IIRC Mr Renshaw had a light in the back, I too have thought about subtle lighting, but haven't gone any further with it !

Same wave length then....

Even better idea with the fading in and out, didn't think about that.

Just subtle lighting, one small light for each floor-well and maybe a similar idea to the BM's at rear headrest level.

I wonder if anyone will come along with pics/ideas?

Should be easy enough to take a feed, plenty of earthing points to use. You could get away with small lights I imagine as its quite compact back there and wouldn't take much to give that subtle illumination.

Some cars, inc VW have tiny lights to light up door pulls. It's so subtle but gives a red gentle glow. I definately want to incorperate that.

I have the chrome door pulls but might go back to standard plastic ones and have them trimmed! My chrome pulls are a crap fit and just bug me more than anything because they don't sit flush. I also scratched one trying to trim the plastic down on the housing so they have to go!

The interior door pull light is a good idea, loads of people who have been in my car have often been unable to find the door pull when trying to get out in the dark. Could you run something off the window switch?

Loving this idea..

Where does the car get the delayed interior light from as standard?

I installed a rear light up above the rear seat in the headlining as I had the MK4 loom which had the connection there it seemed rude not too :)

It also all dimmed slowly as it was mk4 stuff. It's the circuitry in the front light that makes it dim.

I did try fitting the lights at the side like in the mk4 but there is no depth behind the corrado headlining there so it was not an option.

There is a pic somewhere on my old build thread but god knows what page LOL.

I also installed a LHD drivers sun visor with the light, just because the loom was there :)

Jay

Yep, dropping a light into headlining near the roof aerial is the best bet.

BMWs are like stadium flood lighting compared to a Corrado. It's certainly makes getting into the car a nicer experience at night.

So who's going to give it a bash?

Hassan, you like these type of funky mods, prepared to have a trial run?

Where might be the best location for rear foot-well lights? Maybe something fixed towards the bottom footwells or the centre console to each side angled down?

Not sure. I'm crap as mapping it out in my head.

Not as keen as a centre rear light but rather ones at each side. Think it will look smarter if it's achievable?

The thing you have to bear in mind mate which I found with mine is you need a fair bit of clear space behind whatever you mount it on, something like 15/20mm which is fewer places than you think.

This time round with my Corrado I am just embracing the retroness and all that comes with it ;)

ok. I'll post some pics of the Audi lights, although i would agree the rear lights on the side seem a better option to me. I do like leds for their small size and I've got a set of interior plastics which i could try things out on. Also connections - when trim pieces are removed there should be an easy-off type of connection. Stonejag knows his electronics as well as anyone - care to advise on said items?

I also prefer the footwell lights on the sides of the centre tunnel rather than in the middle of the base of the seat backs (like the Audi)

Surface mount LEDs are an option, I've used a 48 LED panel (about 3x5cm) in my front centre light, it's about 4mm deep and is way brighter than the original 10W filament bulb, so all you need is the light unit surround and diffuser and 5 or 6mm behind the headlining or trim you are fitting it in, possibly less if the lens/diffuser protrudes a bit.

Lets wake this one up!

Lots of good ideas and wondering if the talented ones would make something up and potentially creat a group buy.

I can't imagine them being overly expensive and nice little modification to brighten things up over the winter months and on.

Also seen a rado with a matching boot lights on both sides which seems straightforward and very OEM esq

Door pull lighting

Puddle lights

Rear footwell/C Pillars

Has anyone since done any of the above and care to share?

Rams