Sign in to follow this  
RACK

G60 vs Civic TypeR

Right, I've got a little max power reader here at work who keeps challenging me with his CTR. He's done some things to it, Full Jap exhaust, Hondata ECU, and filter, and claims its pushing about 210-220bhp. Don't get me wrong the thing is quick and revs round to 9000rpm :shock: But he reckons the torque is around 120-130lb/ft :lol:

Now I reckon upto 60 (which is only what he seems to care about) He'll whop me. But I think through the mid-range I should give him a good run for his money, and on the twisty up hill stuff near my work, due to my torque, plus his power not coming in till about 6000rpm?

I'm running a 68mm pulley, chip, Full powerflow system, Jetex induction kit, and check valve. It will be a different story when the X-Flow goes in (Hello Darren and pitstop crew :lol: )

Just wondered what you lot thought?

Cheers peeps

RACK

having 6 gears he will be able to keep in the power band quite easily (if he knows what he's doing)

hondata dont make ecu's as far as i remember....hondata is like vagcom...so he could be blowing smoke up ya ass there ???

they reved to about 7500 rpm as standard IIRC so unless he has spent serious money on valves, springs, de-limiting, re-mapping etc etc i doubt it does 9000rpm

having driven a Civic Type R as standard i would say it would be pretty even, wouldnt fancie coming against him though if he has breathed on it like he says.

I'm sure he said it was Hondata, I'll make sure in a bit. It cost him £500 for the ecu to be sent away and done though. He's your typical max power nut. So will put any go faster gadget on the car.

He's not that good a driver, but the car helps him out due to it revvin so high.

I don't know that much about Hondas so wouldn't know what it needed to be able to rev to 9K, but I'll get him to take me out in it soon, so I can see.

If I'm bored at dinner, I'll see what it's made of and let you know. 8)

The CTR is a quick car I raced one up at santa pod 2 yrs ago. I was running around the 200bhp figure then and he just beat me by .356 of a second we were all even upto around the 70mph mark and then he obviously hit the power band which comes in at about 5500 revsand just edged in front. I think he would definately have the edge over you in a quarter mile race and I think it would be pretty even round the twisty stuff as they do handle pretty well as well. The guy I raced at the pod will be no match when the X flow engine is installed and setup in the next couple of months hehehe :)

The CTR is a fairly quick car, but an experienced driver in a tuned g60 will be able to kick ass. The Corrado is definately a slow car from standstill acceleration hence crap 1/4 mile times, you need to go the twisty roads where you slow down and accelerate again then its gonna be a good race

I'm after a X-Flow too. Not sure what power to expect though, got any ideas BANANAMAN???

I spoke to him about the chip and he said it was a re-map done by hondata??

Hopefully I'll get him on the twisty stuff, because it's loads of tight corners and not much room to get out of the bottom end of the revs, but If not I'll just blame it on a slippy clutch or something (the joys of owning a 124K mile car, making up excuses why you lost and getting away with it :lol: )

I'll let you all know when it happens

RACK

Anybody read the feature on the 20vg60, how can that engine kick out 250 bhp?

If the standard golf turbo is 150 bhp and by remapping it, can go to 180 then how can sticking a supercharger on top give 250bhp?

im sure if the Volk-Sport kit was that cheap (around £300) then alot more people would be doing the conversion.

i had one racing me on sunday, he under took me and nearly caused a pile up, he got the drop on me, I thought it was a normal civic in my mirror but there was a type r badge on the rear, I was pulling in 5th if i´d dropped it into 4th or 3rd i would of stopped him from undertaking

I think he was in that group buy on the typeR forum.

I'll get him to have a go this dinner if the lanes are clear.

Plus the X-flow will be in soon so the C will put his CTR over it's lap and tan his ass!!

I was coming home from football tonight with two people in the car going up a steap dual-carrage way in third gear-wasnt booting it as exhaust is blowing and sounds crap.Then i noticed a car coming up fast on my outside thought it was a focus so didnt bother dropping a gear just put the foot down the car passed-it was a Type R. I decided to see how fast it was-so i really went for it.Then we both slowed for a bad bend-as we came out of it we both went for it he pulled furhther in front to start with but once i got into fourth and then fith (aroung 105) i was back with him-felt like i had enough to attempt a pass,didnt though i kept my safe head on and tucked in behind.Once we got on slower roads i gave him a flash& heflicked his hazards.Mile or so later we pulled up at lights and he gave me the thumbs up.My cars 1.8 16v putting out 160Bhp and 135lbf-ft exactly,only found this out last week at StarP. Was he toying with me wanting me to attempt to pass or was it an honest even run?

Cheers Fraser

I would reckon toying a bit, or maybe not confident of his gears- you would be needing nearer 180-200 to get a better 'race' IMHO

Power to weight ratio on the CTR gets destroyed by the Taxi meter, and the radio. The aerial on the back does the aerodynamics no favours either. In short you'll nail him.

i had a civic type r behind me on the M11 yesterday.................thats were he stayed as he got smaller in the distance. he was obviously trying cause as i sloweded down for the junction he flashed and waved as he came past at about 110 mph.

there better throught the gears though

I've had a wee play with a few CTR's managed to take them quite comfortably.

Sandy G60

They have a bit more than that, closer to 150. It's all about the revs with them though. They go to 9500 or something like that.

1,998cc, four-cylinder, 16-valve, DOHC, i-VTEC petrol; 197bhp at 7,400rpm, 145lb ft of torque at 5,900rpm.

Top speed 146mph, 0-62mph in 6.8sec, EC Urban fuel consumption 23.0mpg, CO2 emissions 212g/km.

As you can see, there is little point in wringing the engine round to the rev cutoff (8,900rpm) as it develops it's peak torque and power way before that. People just do it for the noise, which sound shite imo anyway. Just sounds like your Gran's Singer sewing machine that's had double the normal voltage put into it.

I have driven one and I have to say sorry G60 (standard) boys, there's no way you'd beat one. Especially if it's driven as hard as you're driving yours, which obviously you can never verify where strangers are concerned.

They're not as thrashey as people make out. There is torque there and it feels considerably more urgent off the line than any Corrado. The only way a standard VR or G60 can catch one out is if the Honda is in too high a gear for the road speed, but it'll catch up again in an instant.

Don't take one on unless you've got a chip and pulley is my advice!

K

Yup I agree totally.

Having been in my m8s one they are fast for sure.

No match for untuned G60. As I said - be needing 190-200 bhp to make it a better match

Just sounds like your Gran's Singer sewing machine that's had double the normal voltage put into it.

Your Gran did the same mod as mine then! 8)

As you can see, there is little point in wringing the engine round to the rev cutoff (8,900rpm) as it develops it's peak torque and power way before that. People just do it for the noise, which sound shite imo anyway. Just sounds like your Gran's Singer sewing machine that's had double the normal voltage put into it.

I disagree. I think they sound really raw and a nice throaty growl. I don't know if youve ever driven one either but they benefit from being revved. Despite what it says on paper (too many people are drawn to paper stats) although it says peak torque is at 5.9k this is only at the start of where the Vtech kicks in and it keeps pulling very hard right up to the redline. You really have to keep them in the zone and right up there high revving to get the best out of them, hence why people are close to the red when trying to make swift progress.

I have driven one and I have to say sorry G60 (standard) boys, there's no way you'd beat one. Especially if it's driven as hard as you're driving yours, which obviously you can never verify where strangers are concerned.

Ok you have driven one! :D Agree a standard civic will dust a standard g60. But then the civic has 200bhp and develops peak torque high in the rev range benefiting from its high ratio 6 speed gearbox and revs to buggery. So llong as you can drive them proerly and get a chance to rev them and put the power down, they will go fast the ctrs.

They're not as thrashey as people make out. There is torque there and it feels considerably more urgent off the line than any Corrado. The only way a standard VR or G60 can catch one out is if the Honda is in too high a gear for the road speed, but it'll catch up again in an instant.

They are thrashy! There is NOTHING low down until the v tech kicks in imo. Its the most annoying car to drive fast. Give me a nice big torque figure that pulls well in any gear anyday, over a thrashy drop two cogs and change gear loads to make progress CTR. If you floor a ctr in say 4th at 30mph your waiting an age for the car to move with any urgency..its almost like waiting for the worlds biggest turbo to spool up. For a track day yeah, but I personally cant see the appeal for a daily driver.

Also, a VR6 corrado WILL keep up. Theres nothing in it. Its all down to the driver on the day when its that close.

Don't take one on unless you've got a chip and pulley is my advice!

Agree since this would put it within a much more even power contest, despite the fact power is majorly overated.

K

I found the opposite GsixT. The one I drove (a silver 6 month old dealer demonstrator) preferred being driven normally. He told me to hang on and let the VTEC rip when joining a dual-carriageway. Talk about an anti-climax, there was nothing there, the engine just got louder and coarser with no appreciable boost in acceleration. And yes the oil was at max because he checked it before we started the test drive. It was still fairly rapid though and I could tell that a 'better' example would have actually done something when it came on the cam, but I still left the dealer very under whelmed.

And, unless the roads are billiard table smooth and free of lorry ruts, the car weaves all over the shop.

This has been rectified on the MK2 CTR with a different steering rack.

The best parts of the car are the incredibly rigid shell and the gear change.

K