stevef182

If not a corrado..then what??

If you had up to £5k to spend on a car, and it were to be your only car (i.e not just a weekend toy) and it wasnt a corrado..what would it be and why?

passat estate is what im hankering after now.. would have to be the highest hp tdi i could get, look mint and ideal for shows and camping etc :)

my old e39 540i sport, so nice to drive with loads of power and so quite.

Expensive to run? I do like these.

Think if I wanted a big all rounder it'd probably be an older 3 or 5 series of some kind though possibly one with a smaller engine or diesel.

Essentially if I sell the corrado I want something that is still fun but can be used daily. As the rado stands at the moment, I dont rate it for daily use and really I cant justify the expense of a second car. I've considered a few BMWs, although dont think I could settle for a smaller engine, would need to be a 330 or 540 or something similar.

Also thought of the R32 route, but still quite pricey for a good example. Currently enjoying the prospect of a well looked after S3 but still very much open minded...IF i sell.

passat estate is what im hankering after now.. would have to be the highest hp tdi i could get, look mint and ideal for shows and camping etc :)

Yep agreed and I just sold it as I couldn't afford to run it and my VR. I'd have another if it were my only car.

Expensive to run? I do like these.

to be honest around town you could easily get 23/25 mpg out of one as at idle they will do about 20mph, i did get 38mpg on the motorway once with the boot full and three fat ass passengers. but you press down on the loud pedal and the thing just flew for a big four door saloon, a mildly tuned vr6 would not have a chance against one in a straight line, and a supercharged vr6 would maybe just about keep up with it up to about 80mph then the 4.4V8 just gets going. I have owned a charged vr6 so its true and not pub talk.

I'd like a tidy mk4 4-motion. Red with beige leather. Or a passat sport estate 130tdi.

I'm also hankering after another mk2 gti though. I could get a real head turner for 5k!

I would've stuck with my clk430, havin said that, 5k will get you a tidy clk55 amg. Bulletproof cars, not bad on juice if you stay off the loud pedal; 15-20mpg town and 30-35mpg motorway. Sounds crap I know but for what you get you can't go wrong. Insurance is cheap as is tax and they're relatively uncommon...

Think it would have to be an evo for me. Really fancy one. Although 5k is a little on the low side I think

For £5K, nothing. My Corrado is a very civilised daily and I'd rather keep it using it as such :D To get the same level of point and squirt fun, performance and handling as my particular C, I'd have to spend a lot more than £5K.

No one car can tick all the boxes tho, hence why some folk keep their Cs for weekend use. Going back to a Corrado after driving something else is always like slumping into your comfy couch. Just feels right.

For £5K, nothing. My Corrado is a very civilised daily and I'd rather keep it using it as such :D To get the same level of point and squirt fun, performance and handling as my particular C, I'd have to spend a lot more than £5K.

No one car can tick all the boxes tho, hence why some folk keep their Cs for weekend use. Going back to a Corrado after driving something else is always like slumping into your comfy couch. Just feels right.

Kev you are so right, I drive a 1.2 Corsa to get me to work and back. Then when I jump into my VR it feels great. I drive a 59 plate Fiesta regularly too and even after that the VR feels great.

The Fiat 500 is my daily obviously and I have to say I feel every day when I'm driving it I don't think much about the VR. However every time I get back in the VR, despite it being heavier and rattlier it just feels so special.. the sound, the grunt, and how LOW you feel compared to everything despite only a modest drop :)

Edited by Jim

To be honest, this definitely is true. We'll certainly be keeping ours until we can't afford the parts and upkeep. I think if anything, we'll just find the cash to buy, say an Evo, and keep the C even if it only came out on special occasions.

Nothing for 5k I don't think, anything worth having at that price will likely be knackered.

I've been thinking about it a heck of a lot for the last few months, and struggle to find anything for less than 15-20k that could tempt me to replace it, and finding a car in that price range that won't depreciate wildly in the next 12-24 is a monumental task in itself. The only thing that excites me realistically are Z4M coupes, TVR T350Cs or B7 RS4s I think.

Very little else has the character, or presence, of a well set up Corrado (IMHO).

Jim and Dave..if I could justify having a daily then i'd probabably agree. Unfortunately I cant!

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

And if R32 engines and turbos were feasible then Kev and Andy i'd definitely stick with the rado. As it stands I cant afford to put too much more money into mine, and so I'm considering something different (although part of me really doesnt want to sell mine) so im just interested to hear what else other people would recommend or consider other than a Corrado.

Edited by stevef182

Have to say, although I have owned my Corrado for a few months now, I havent actually driven it! So I cant really comment on comparisons with other cars. I have owned a Mk1 and Mk2 Golf Gti so I am assuming the C is very like the Mk1 in the point and squirt stakes. I have a B7 A4 AVant 170 Tdi as my daily and I think that if you have the space and can/want to afford running two cars, the C as a second car really makes sense. Have you considered a brand new supermini, C2 yaris etc?? No tax cheap deposit and monthly payments and keep the C?

Running costs for fast cars as a daily must be a nightmare these days. About 14 years ago, I had a 310bhp Subaru which did about 18mpg on superunleaded, I would hate to think what that would cost me a month now. I would assume it would be the same sort of costs for Evo's and big engined BM's.

Dougie

PS Cheap Boxster???

im in this sort of predicament at the moment, I have an expensive rado sat in a rented garage costing me money on rent, tax, mot etc even before its used. I'm running a cheap polo as a daily.

my plan is to sell both and buy an >£6k car i can leave out on the road.

Im looking at loads of options and cant get my head around what i want:

S4/S6 avant

330/530 tourer

or

Passat/a4/a6 tdi avant

plus:

Tidy VR6

s2k

350z

skyline

sylvia

S3

And so on!

I'm getting into a T5 next month and once its been converted with rear seats and smart new toys, I'll wonder how much use the C will get then. A T5 will do all the jobs of an estate and more of course. Might be able to pick one up for £5k. I'll have to think about whether to keep the C or not. Somedays its deff going and others I can't part with it! Grrr!