Lee Rees

Which engine for fuel effeciency?

Buy The best rado you can afford mate.

Id go 16v if I were you.

Edited by Abdul

I went for a vr6 2.9 in the end. I don't know why I was even worrying, I got 35mpg all the way from clacton to cornwall, cost about £80 in fuel which is very good going.

Aka, a glutton for punishment :lol:

No bloody kidding mate :)

---------- Post added at 5:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:17 PM ----------

I went for a vr6 2.9 in the end. I don't know why I was even worrying, I got 35mpg all the way from clacton to cornwall, cost about £80 in fuel which is very good going.

lol! good lad!

Thats alot of miles lol gotta be one of the highest surely ??

222659 miles at 8.3mpg would be £160977.63 at £1.32/l

the 41.1 on my avatar was achieved in 40mph 15 mile average speed camera set of road works, after warming the car up, filling with fuel and resetting everything.

30-35 is reasonable fro a VR6 on the motorway, but around town don't surprised at 15-20. To be honest given what folk are saying here there is not too much difference between the engines as far as mpg's concerned. Just get the best you can and enjoy. If the fuel con worries you, switch off at traffic lights and drive sedately when you can't hurry - then enjoy the rest of the time.

Have only just seen this thread, congrats on your purchase! Was gonna say before you said, stay away from the Nugget 'TAG' in Liskeard. It was a member on here previously who owned it and it looked fantastic. Unfortunately the current owner has left it in an awful state. I saw it just before xmas as it was advertised on the Bay, went to see it and its awful. :(

Anyway doesn't matter if your happy with the VR, would have said the 2.0 16v with KR cams would be a good compromise on economy and performance though. :thumbleft:

Have to say I my opinion the G60 offers best compromise. Driving in old man mode on a decent run (100 miles+) I can get just over 40MPG out of mine, that's checking properly with full tank's of full from the same station at the same price, using the odometer reading. NOT believing what the MFA tells me, though I have to say it's not far off, suggesting I can get 44MPG. Obviously if your drive the thing properly fuel consumption suffers considerably, but I still get over 30 MPG day to driving, I do use the cars potential for overtaking and tend to cruise around at about 70 odd MPH.

My VR6 wasn't all that bad on fuel, I took it on driving holiday round the north of Scotland and on my way up there took it upon myself to see just how good an MPG figure I could achieve. I filled up in Hereford and again in Glasgow, so that's 30 odd miles of A road followed by over 300 miles of Motorway, the MFA said 37 MPG my calculations from refilling suggested more like 35 MPG. The rest of time I was up there I covered 2300 miles and got an MFG average for the whole holiday of 32 MPG, and that's a right mix of roads and driving speeds.

The Eight and 16V cars can do a little better but I'd rather have choice of being able to use the extra grunt offered by either a VR6 or G60 and just cruise round steady if I'm trying to conserve fuel.

IMO the 8V is under powered, yes it will do 45 MPG driven carefully but you may as well be driving a 1.4 polo.

My 16V Golf will do over 40 MPG on a run. But I find very little difference in cost between running them fuel wise. I have to concede that the G60 require's more maintaince than it's naturally aspirated relations which bumps up the over all running costs. I change the oil/filter in my G60's every 5K miles and the plugs are dam expensive though they do last longer. And of course these the charger to look after, going to rebuilding mine soon, looks like I can get a kit for less than 250 quid.

Edited by K Simmonds
More info

Not going to respond in a manner that causes hassle but we all have to agree which we all personally feel is our choice and not anyone elses, for me it's 8v for the charachter of driving a corrado and with the amount of traffic on our roads and state of some of them big power is becoming more and more resticted.

After 17 years of ownership of various models I think experience has helped me make my decissions.

However i cant wait to get my vr out :)

Edited by KIPVW

I dont understand why so many people are saying dont buy a corrado!?

If someone was saying I want to buy the fastest corrado i can - which one should i choose? The reply wouldnt be 'buy a ferrari, they're faster'!

It would be G60!! :cheers::dance:

Not going to respond in a manner that causes hassle but we all have to agree which we all personally feel is our choice and not anyone elses, for me it's 8v for the charachter of driving a corrado and with the amount of traffic on our roads and state of some of them big power is becoming more and more resticted.

After 17 years of ownership of various models I think experience has helped me make my decissions.

However i cant wait to get my vr out :)

Sorry, didn't mean to offend any 8V owners, their still lovely to drive and have the look's etc, I just like have the option of having more go under my right foot.

After driving an S2 even the G60 seems pretty tame.

Edit, I should also add, that the roads round my neck of the woods are fantastic, bit busy on summer weekends and bank holidays but otherwise it's pretty clear. I'm in mid Wales, so am spoilt for choice when it comes to decent A roads.

Edited by K Simmonds
More info

I dont understand why so many people are saying dont buy a corrado!?

If someone was saying I want to buy the fastest corrado i can - which one should i choose? The reply wouldnt be 'buy a ferrari, they're faster'!

It would be G60!! :cheers::dance:

lol! indeed.

No offence taken mr Simmonds, i guess there will always be a continued discussion about which is best model for this and which is best model for that and then which is best overall :)

Seen it on here for years even to the point that some folk get so wound up and start verbally abusing each other the thread has had to be locked lol!

I think this is a very interesting thread though and while i really disagree with some comments i know my own will also not be other peoples ideals.

Edited by KIPVW

Well said, and I would absolutely agree that the G60 is probably a really good compromise - i've had some fantastic MPG figures from them, even my 210bhp tuned nugget gave me better fuel economy than any of my 16v's did! but my comments on the 8v have been in terms of cost of ownership, not just MPG.

Anyway, it's much of a muchness - the OP has bought himself a VR6 :lol: good luck with it mate, i'll look forward to seeing it on the roads around here :)

Well if you're ever in Newquay cruising in your rado and you spot me give us a bib and I'll pull over. I'd love to see another rado up close.

It'll either be me or my mate driving it as we are car sharing.