bristolbaron

Hate the lack of cupholder in the Rado? I had an idea..

Okay so it's only in mock up stage, but thought i'd share this - perhaps someone else has ideas for improvement!

A while back someone [Jim?] mentioned that when the rear ashtray is removed it creates a perfect space for a mcdonalds cup..

This made me think i'd try and make my own cupholder.. by no means is it perfect, but I'm happy with the idea.

I used a piece of guttering from B&Q £2.29

Some sticky backed foam from Hobbycraft 79p

And the back of an old CD case!

I cut down the CD case to match the shape of the ashtray insert and cut a central hole for the 'cup' to sit in.

I then had to cut down the guttering by about 15mm as its too deep for the centre tunnel.

I made a base for the cup and plastic welded it to the bottom of the now cut guttering.

I then cut out a piece of foam to stick to the underside of the support and the bottom of the cup.

The downside of using the CD case [the only plastic I had to hand] is it's pretty flimsy.

It would be ideal if I was laying a coat of carbon on top as it's nice and thin, but not great on its own.

Ideally I want to find a piece of plastic 2-3mm thick and with the same sort of leather effect pattern that the centre console has.

If anyone has ideas for improvements I'm all ears!

Cheers

Baz

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55093[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55097[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55101[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55105[/ATTACH]

It wont add to the rigidity of it, but maybe an old sunvisor from any random car at the scrappy. Most are vinyl type textured leather effect affairs, or something along those lines anyway.

Excellent. Yeah I have certainly mentioned the removing the ash tray to make a cup holder thing to a few people but I can't take credit for it.. someone told me about it and I've used it ever since.

Have to say though, that is absolutely inspired... wonder if it's worth looking into the idea of comissioning a company into producing a limited run of something like this? I'd certainly use a cup holder more than I would an ash tray!!

Superb work.

well knock me down with a bloody feather! chuffin brilliant mate :)

Cheers for the comments!

The other idea I had was to use something like thin ply wood with a 3M leather effect vinyl..

I'm sure the right material is out there, I just haven't quite worked out what!

I did think about butchering the side panel of the centre console shown, but couldn't do that to a beige piece!

I have about 15 templates at home for the shape of the ash tray is i had them cut on a router machine out of 5mm black foam so just need the guttering gluing on ill put sum pics up there free to who ever wants one just postage cost !

There very rigid in the foam so probs better than a cd case

Well I've been trying to sort out a plastic manufacturer for a couple of other bits, So if this is popular it could happen?!

I have no idea of cost or numbers that would be needed but of lots of people are interested I could peruse it?

Set up a group buy feeler if you're feeling up to it mate. I am 100% down for one provided it's like.... no more than £20?

Nice!

...I usually just jam a 500ml bottle through the passenger seat adjust handle ;)

Thanks again guys, I've sent out a couple of messages to friends with contacts who might be able to help with production of a run of a neater version to see if it's even possible at a decent cost. Once I know if I can do it, I'll look at setting up a group buy feeler.

In the mean time i'll just bask in the glory of my ingenuity! :2gunfire::roll:

This is what i had made up mate there 5 mm black foamex

Try some sign companys they will have the means to cut the shape easy enough

4d5604c1-4984-2647.jpg4d5604c1-4998-34ce.jpg

They need a light sand on the cut edges but other than that they are a pretty good fit

So when you say foam is it spongey or hard? Defo looks the right thickness.

Ideally I'd like to find something with the same pattern as the interior so it all ties in but could be an option..

So when you say foam is it spongey or hard? Defo looks the right thickness.

Ideally I'd like to find something with the same pattern as the interior so it all ties in but could be an option..

Its called foamex but its actually very rigid its very compressed i was going to make it all up then spray the full thing in crackle black to match it in a bit

---------- Post added at 1:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:25 PM ----------

Redborbet, any chance I could blag one of those pls???

Yea that fine as long as its ok with bristol barron i dont wanna steal his good ideas

It Really has to be finished in black leather to match the rest of my trim though - Please.

Tell me, is drinking in the car - is that generally done loads of trips by the majority of folk ?

It really does not cross my mind to drink in the car, unless going on a very long trip, but even then I am more inclined to stop and take a break too.

But - as I am no longer smoking and never used the ashtrays anyway, makes more sense to utilise these for cup holders.

Excellent idea.