Kevin Bacon

Recommended welder for stainless exhaust?

I really need to get a welder and learn how to mig a stainless exhaust together. Due to some shonky welding, a v band ring snapped off my downpipe before the cat, so the car is now undrivable. Too loud to drive anywhere!!

The only way to fix it, cost effectively, is to get a welder and fix it myself, so does anyone have any recommendations? It needs to run off a standard domestic mains socket.

Ta!

Bazza, don't put silly ideas like that in his head. If Kev feels the way to go is to buy a welder and learn to weld stainless steel I really don't think we should put him off the idea.

....Could be very useful for those of us who don't live so far away from him, lol!

Kev,

If you're going to buy a welding plant then I'm guessing you'll want to use it for other projects in the future? These projects could be car related, garden/household or general repairs/fabrication, at least that's what I would do. So I'm guessing you'll need a plant that can happily weld anything from 1mm to 3 or 4mm in mild and stainless steels?

Let me know what you have in mind and I'll hopefully get some suggestions for you sometime at the weekend. Also do you have a budget price to stick to?

Ta

Clarke do some excellent MIG welders,a150amp would be more then enough for a stainless exhaust !

I find st/st Very easy to weld, mainly because it burns so clean !

Cool! I was looking at the Clarkes as Machine Mart sometimes do deals on them.

Dave, yep, mostly car related but could be used for other stuff around the house and home as you say. Budget: thinking of £250-£300? Don't mind getting a s/hand one off ebay.

Mark, why do I get a sense of being fitted up to make you a turbo downpipe? ;)

Kev,

Be carefull with the 'cheaper' Clarke welders, the wire feed drive are not as good as the more exspensive range they do, I have a Murex tradesmig & Migatrinic Pilot ac/dc Tig welder at the moment. I have had clarke 90, 135, SIP 105, feronius 230 & Esab 165 mig welders and Lincoln V205-t tig welder. If you can, I would go for the 'upper' range of welders, as these include other features such as spot timers and burn back adjustment. Gas also makes a huge difference in the quality of the gas sheilding, Argon C02 mixture is a good all rounder, Chris loder welding supplies in Colchester does a good range of Air products gases at good rates. let us know if you need a hand as I'm only just outside of Braintree.

Matt

Edited by MattPc