emu

Would you swap for Audi S3 ??

Well I think I have come into this topic a bit too late but whats all this talk of the s3 being faster than the corrado VR6? There was a guy running an ibiza 1.8t with the s3 K04 turbo that I believe was fettled with on it, he was talking the whole VR6's are garbage, 1.8t's would trounce them etc etc... that was until I was flashing my lights for him to move out my way.

I did consider an S3 and even drove one but having been in a 1.8 20v non turbo, it really is just a crappy gutless engine with a massive turbo chucked on. I don't mean to start an argument with the 1.8t owners, I do love the sound of them and they do have some excellent power but swap for a corrado vr6? Not a chance

You've got a bit of a freak of a VR6 though IIRC? All K04 based 1.8Ts I've tried feel quicker than a standard Corrado VR6, even more so when transplanted into a FWD VW. Was the Ibiza's engine mapped / setup properly? I've seen so many transplants / big turbo conversions done so poorly, the standard car from which it came was quicker! :lol:

swiftkid i totally agree i raced a friend of mine in his leon cupra 225 and i beat it by a long way he was gutted so we did it again with a rolling start ....once again i left him for dead lol.. the week before he had it revo ,d i just think some engines are better than others! even last year my buisiness partner got his new 3.2 TT we had a little frisk beat him also :smug:

swiftkid i totally agree i raced a friend of mine in his leon cupra 225 and i beat it by a long way he was gutted so we did it again with a rolling start ....once again i left him for dead lol.. the week before he had it revo ,d i just think some engines are better than others! even last year my buisiness partner got his new 3.2 TT we had a little frisk beat him also :smug:

Ha ha, honestly you are dreaming

Ha ha, honestly you are dreaming

mmm not really mate but no real way of proving but next time i have a silly wknd with my pals ill try and get it on film for you:thumbleft:

mmm not really mate but no real way of proving but next time i have a silly wknd with my pals ill try and get it on film for you:thumbleft:

So shaun your telling me that your standard VR is faster than a 250 brake 3.2 TT or a remaped 260/280 2wd cupra as these cupra are highly rated..

So shaun your telling me that your standard VR is faster than a 250 brake 3.2 TT or a remaped 260/280 2wd cupra as these cupra are highly rated..

My vr6 having 211 ps is faster than mk4 r32, at least faster from this I've been racing with. Been left around half length of the car on start but on next light were already in front of him. R32 and TT 3.2 are much heavier cars and difference in power doesn't cover difference in weight.

The vr takes a while to get going from my experience whilst the 1.8t has lots of torque low down. Although saying that the vr did seem to reach silly speeds quicker than my s3.

The thing about owning both the cars is they never get driven together. I would swear my old valver was faster than my Vr6, even when getting taken out in one I would be sure it was faster until I watched the speedo climb in the VR.

Lol, what do you mean I have a freak of a VR6 Kev?

Watch any vr6 racing video on YouTube and it takes ages to get going. It usually gets left behind at the start but when it gets going it often pulls ahead. But I would still be surprised it can best a 3.2 TT.

Wow seemed to started somthing here lol.. all im sayin its quicker than my mates 2 cars its as fast as my R36 passat up until about 90ish thats all im not even gettin into this just stating a fact...

.. the TT is a convertible forgot to mention

Edited by shaunVR6

I had a 2003 S3 for 2 year and sold it to buy an Corrado because i thought it had no personality and was a bit dull to drive, you just point it the way you want it to go and thats what it does.

Dont get me wrong it was quick 265 bhp but i just didnt like it that much.

Hey all,

8L S3 owner here so I thought id chip in... Some of the previous comments are fair some are not. Suspension is a bit dull as standard, they are getting on and alot running standard suspension, a set of bilsteins and springs coupled with R32 arbs changes that. Power as standard is awfull, Fairly heavy car (for a hatch) with only 210/225bhp with delivery which isnt aggresive at all, but a simple remap improves that seeing you to nearer 260bhp if its healthy, im running 285 which is plenty and cannot see any vr6 (naturally aspirated) keeping up. The optional extra BOSE stereo is shocking! And they do rust around arches and on roof channel area. The Quattro haldex is fairly good in my opinion, only really engaging when required helping with mpg and gives good stability, you can disengage it by clicking up handbrake one click or pulling fuse, and the car is useless without it when heavy footed. Original coilpacks go wrong, but these should be changable under the call back.

All in all a really good allround car... but its not amazing looking and wont get the looks like a really sorted corrado will... I was very tempted to change to a 1.8t convert corrado but couldnt bring myself to do it, probably because the amount of money iv had to spend on the s3 to get it to a standard it deserves.

If you want a good daily car with haldex,hid's,full electric,climate ect i would pick the s3 any day,its a good car that has its own looks,understated wide arched "winged" doors blades just set it apart from the rest! The corrado has its classic looks thats great to look at but its dated inside and its a great weekend car... thats it! imop,i hated the corrado as a daily car,but i went away from that a while back and just used it as weekend fun...an expensive one at that!

The do rust on the roof rails and lower door edges and a corrado has no rust?....sure they do,in many places you wont see but its there!

Im i a fan of the 1.8t? ....no im not, VR's or 24v lumps any day for me,but they are reliable and have plenty of torque low down for daily driving and can do the twistys very well considering the 1450kg weight ! The 4wd have got me out of trouble many times and as for saying they are rubbish then thats rubbish,go play in the snow as i have and many others and you will have so much fun! go out in a rwd/fwd and good luck,also not just in the snow but the mainly wet condition's we have in the uk! you wont get me back to non 4wd for some time!

Either way its YOUR choice and only you can make your mind up....

My dad had a BAM TT and it didn't feel as quick as my VR but that's subjective I guess.

Every day, more and more I'm thinking about getting myself S3 and putting Corrado in garage till I will be able to drive it as I like. Going back on full time education doesn't help making this decision but we will see within next few months.

I'd sooner have a Subaru impreza than an S3. A much better car all round, PROPER 4WD, charismatic engine that's not only smoother than the 1.8T, but more powerful, and much less to buy because it doesn't have the snobby 4 rings on the grill.

I've driven quite a few classic shapes and they are such a good car to drive and for the money they cost, who cares about the image?

I've driven quite a few classic shapes and they are such a good car to drive and for the money they cost, who cares about the image?

I don't care about the mileage but I care about insurance which is more than double than insuring S3.

Not for me it isn't. 39 yrs of age, locked in a garage, low crime post code. ~ £500 last time I got a quote.

Youve obviously never been to Aberdeen. Every mink and his brother has a Subaru with a dustbin exhaust on it. I completely agree about the Classic near standard examples now though. A lot of car for the money and a lot more practical if you get the wagon version.

Youve obviously never been to Aberdeen. Every mink and his brother has a Subaru with a dustbin exhaust on it. I completely agree about the Classic near standard examples now though. A lot of car for the money and a lot more practical if you get the wagon version.

Nope. Been to Glasgow and Edinburgh though. The former was, erm, an experience, shall we say :D

That's the thing, that image problem wouldn't bother me because I'd keep it standard, bar a remap and any other worthwhile and functional mods, such as the much praised Whiteline arbs etc.

They just remind me of the Corrado. Very similar steering feedback (Audis have none what so ever), proper point and squirt, smooth engine and a brilliant engine note (when not over done with chav exhausts). What's not to like about a car that drives as good as a Corrado does, but with 4WD stability and grip? Sure the looks are a bit pants but they don't rust (unless smacked) and Jap reliability.

£3.5K buys you a lot of Subaru. £3.5K buys a reasonable Corrado. £3.5 buys you a rough S3.

The fuel economy is horendous on the subaru and the evo though, A mate of mine had both and just could not believe how bad they were even driven carefully, as with the 18t its not bad around town high 20s and easily into the high 30s on a run but only if driven carefully

Im assuming your comparing a stock corrado with a stock s3 in all these comparisons ?

Stock corrado handles rubbish and what feel are we talking about,the understeer when pushed hard,yea a sorted corrado will handle well,as will ANY car...

Ive had had a few Subaru's sti and wrx over time,yes they are good point to point cars but they are not jap reliable at all,they often throw big end shells when pushed and to replace them is a full engine out and strip down job....time consuming and costly!

You get a hell of allot more car for your money than a raddo...fact,3.5k can buy you a good example.

The heading should be changed to whats better than a corrado ......

Edited by CorradoVR6-Turbo