Redfox

Why Recaro?

Hi all,

looking at many Corrado's and Golf 2's with a better than basic interrior, I see why VW chose Recaro front seats for their Golf 2 über models. They are very good to your back, and have a good support. The side bolsters are very large, and still doesn't get in the way. I had Edition One in my former Golf 2, and they kept me planted when driving hard.

Now, looking at the Corrado, even with Recaro seats, I wonder why they chose to downgrade the front seats, for a better and much more sportive and top of the line car?

Both the cloth and leather front seats are jsut fine, but look silly small and are not so supportive, as the one in Golf 2.

It's kind of strange, that VW upgraded the Recaro seats to have heat (some) in both seats and seat backs and in both front seats, plus electric adjustment of seat base and seat backs on both front seats as well, when they chose a less sportive and less supportive model seat to start with?

Another question: Have anyone tried to take both types apart, adn build the Golf 2 seat back side support, into the Corrado seat back, including heat and electric adjustment?

Here's a couple of pics of my former Golf 2 Recaro Edition One seats, with nice big side bolsters:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57649[/ATTACH]

and:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57653[/ATTACH]

and here's the flimsy girlie seats from my Corrado:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57657[/ATTACH]

and:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57661[/ATTACH]

As can be seen, the side bolsters are much smaller. I think seat bases are the same and seat base side bolsters too.

I think that VW should have pressed all possible contacts to give it as much sport and guts as possible, when they did the Corrado.

For sure I am on the look for two Corrado leather seats plus two Golf 2 Edition One seats and build them together. Plus a set f A8 seats ;)

What do you good people think VW should have done, and why did they do as they did?

Cheers,

Redfox.

At the end of the day it most probebly comes down to money, why include all the options on the standrad model? then the dealers have no optional extras for potential punters to purchase on top, and make some extra revenue. my thaughts. typically OEM's will produce an item for the after market sales with a 7 fold mark up.

But it would have been nice if the corrado did come with recaro's as standard as it was at the time their premion model on sale.

Matt

Probably down to product development and design.

The interiors are probably a good 10 years apart. Meaning 10 years of improvements will be applied. The corrado seats may in fact be smaller and more puny but they might offer better ergonomics?

Also, consumer preference will come into play. Maybe people in the 90's demanded more compact designs? On a personal note I prefer the sleak, simplistic Corrado Recaros over the bulky sofa type affairs in the Golf.

The corrado recaros are defo less comfortable then mk2/3 ones. Feck knows why. Vw pretty much killed the corrado off themselves.

And that is why I asked. I think the Golf ones offer better sidesupport. I am keeping them anyway, but I just thought about why VW downgraded the seats from Golf 2 edition One, to Corrado. The Golf 3 also have bigger sidebolsters, but not the same as Golf 2. I mean the Corrado can go pretty fast. So the driver and passenger (two in total) will have to sit tight and not bounce about. Not that I am doing that, but I still feel a difference from Edition One Recaro's.

I can well understand the idea of different levels of design and equipment in a carmodel. No prop. But top of theline version with all the goodies must in my humble view have the best of the best.

I think the lower part is the same, so is the backrest itself. So that leaves teh back sidesupport to be the only difference. And electrics of course.

Maybe it's true that at the time the Corrado was on the market, there was no longer interest in the big bolster design, but more slim descreete ones. The rear seats, on the contrary, are so enourmously better in the Corrado, than any Golf, also the newest. Just ain't space to sit there ;)

No way I am going to carry anyone in the rear seats. Ever. And the passenger front seat belongs to my wife ;)

Them A8 certainly looks good ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

It might have been a combination of a lower car making it harder to get in and out if the bolsters were too big, particularly for the US market where people were a little larger and heavier than in Europe.

The corrado recaros are defo less comfortable then mk2/3 ones. Feck knows why. Vw pretty much killed the corrado off themselves.

I agree, the ones fitted to RS fords of the same era were way better.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57801[/ATTACH] i had these in my mk2 golf ,i,m sure they were out of corrado very comfy

Yep, a lot better in those Fords (like the Golf 2 ones, but with adjustable knee-support.

Anne t: Those are also made by Recaro, but not the ones I mean. The Corrado ones (normal seats) have the backrest adjustment wheel sitting higher than on a Golf 2. So I think yours are off another Golf 2. Noce seats btw.

Cheers,

Redfox.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57801[/ATTACH] i had these in my mk2 golf ,i,m sure they were out of corrado very comfy

I'm pretty sure they are standard leather Corrado seats rather than recaros, despite the badge.

i'm having my beige recaros re-trimmed very soon, but was thinking about having some golf recaros done instead, as i loved my recaros in my old golf g60, they are so much more supportive compared to the corrado recaros

You car looked great today Karl. Sorry we didn't get to chat for longer.

cheers mate, may catch up again if your going to brooklands??

Redfox that mk2 looks sweet. Did you pay the same insane level of attention to that too?

Kadvr6: that is exactly my point.

Lewvw: No, I would say I did a lot more. Every single bit was renewed or renovated. I tried to make the max out of it handling wise, and then added some 57 hp. Was okay light and very stiff. Not a fast car, but still enough to outgun a lot of cars in bends or series of bends. Great fun on twisty mountain roads. I painted it myself in A Golf IV colour called Tropical pearl. It's a kind of orange with very small green and yellow mica metallic effect. Looked boring in grey weather, but really well in sunshine ;)

Those Recaro's felt more tight and supportive and hold you well in corners. I think the perfect version of Recaro's would be the Corrado one, with Golf side support for the back ;)

Here's a pic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57877[/ATTACH]

And one of my projects for the Golf:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57881[/ATTACH]

I think these Recaro's rebuilt to be electrical like the Corrado Recaro's would be the perfect carseats for the Corrado. Note the bolsters!!!:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57885[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

It might have been a combination of a lower car making it harder to get in and out if the bolsters were too big, particularly for the US market where people were a little larger and heavier than in Europe.

That's putting it politely but probably the most likely explanation. With the standard seats, you can sometimes of clump your head getting in whilst trying to not flatten the bolsters with your arse. And the American solution to that? Just flatten the bolsters for them :D

Sorry for asking, but what is that?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Ah, that's smart. I think I am going to have those.

Thanks for shareing ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Hmm, just felt I would add in on this old thread, so show that I did what I was wishing for: a Corrado Recaro seat with the MK II Edition side bolsters and fresh leather.

They are in fact very very supportive, and no more jumping around in quick corners or s-bends. One of the reasons for that is that the side bolsters on the backrest are not only bigger, but also fatter, so less space for moving about = more speed = more fun. Real easy to do and with a good result. I may add, that I also built in those inflatable lumbar supports, for extra support and comfort. Good for people with back problems.

Now if I could only get my hands of the lower side supports that I showed a picture from earlier... Next project ;)

[ATTACH]74598[/ATTACH][ATTACH]74599[/ATTACH][ATTACH]74600[/ATTACH][ATTACH]74601[/ATTACH]

If anyone knows what car they come from, or where to get two sets of these lower supports, them please tell me, so I can work on it asap.

Cheers,

Redfox ;)

Edited by Redfox