STORM 2

STRANGE site for coolant leak PICS

I had the front end off to fit a new crack pipe and remedy an oil leak from the oil cooler over the weekend.

Just filled up with new coolant and I get a (intermittent) leak from the strangest of places, the slot where the passenger side radiator mount goes. Pic one is with the mount on - have put in back in incorrectly, thus causing the leak?

Ultimately looks like a new radiator, but I'm going to bung some high temp sealant in there as a temp fix.

cant quite see teh leak properly. Give it a clean up and athen after fitting everything cover the area with talc and then run the engine. You'll see exactly where its coming from via the fluid trails in the powder.

Might just be the o-ring seal on the rad neck thats perished.

I would say the O ring and the elbow, which are known to leak due to age. Its an odd place for a rad to leak, not impossible, just id say unlikely. Be prepared, if you tkae the elbow off youd be best having a replacement O ring, even a new elbow if its cracked.

Its actually coming from within the slot itself - I must have cracked the elbow or the plastic radiator column itself when tapping in the rad mount. I filled the slot with high temp silicone and inserted the mount. If it does the job I'll leave it until I can get a new radiator before shelling out another £20 on coolant!

Yeah you've cracked the end tank. Silicon won't cure that I'm afraid. Don't forget coolant is under pressure and anything you fill the crack with will just blow out.

If you had to tap the L shaped bracket in, that's the problem. It clearly stretched and fractured the plastic. The bracket should just slide in without undue force. Has the bracked rusted? What usually happens is the bracket rusts, expands, then cracks the plastic.

^^ So true, good luck getting the replacement rad elbow to fit aswell, the bolts notoriously seize inside the brass holder and when you try to undo it breaks the plastic resulting in you needing a new radiator, so be warned and careful when undoing the bolts

Dude if you do replace your rad i've seen a new elbow with seal on the bay item no 110865272567 , cos your old one will prob be shagged and its cheaper than a Gruven one .

sorry i was trying to be down with the kids. i meant situation :lol:

Gaz, sorry mate got lots of sits going on, which one do you mean?

Update - the elbow is also shagged and the screwholes on the radiator column the elbow attaches to have split so the bolts spin in the thread. So it looks like a new radiator... Any advice on original vs replacement part?

KEV - you're bang on - the rad bracket had thickened twice its normal thickness due to corrosion thus damaging the elbow.

Update - the elbow is also shagged and the screwholes on the radiator column the elbow attaches to have split so the bolts spin in the thread. So it looks like a new radiator... Any advice on original vs replacement part?

KEV - you're bang on - the rad bracket had thickened twice its normal thickness due to corrosion thus damaging the elbow.

Dude one the first page i gave you a ebay item number for a new elbow with seal, i replaced my rad with one from gsf , its been in 7 months no problems .

Edited by Nathan Harvey

Thanks Nathan but I've got to source a new radiator first and then I'll probably go with the billeted aluminium elbow from GAP so the bas***d doesn't give me grief in the next 40 years.

VW design means that damage to the plastic part of the radiator column means a whole new radiator.....

To be fair once I got the rad from gsf which wasn't that expensive I bought a gruven elbow cost £80 but it's gonna out last the car !

Mine is leaking from same place, i hope its just my o-ring, as i have a nearly new VW rad, and the gruvenparts elbow etc, also quite new, the brackets are the stainless one too.

Going to take it apart and check it out, is the oring just a normal round one?

Going to take it apart and check it out, is the oring just a normal round one?

No, they are flat, but a round one should do the job (so I'm told..literally just fitted a normal one myself).