DriverVR6

VR6 Timing Chains, guides, tensioners

I'm intending to do the timing chains, chain guides and tensioners on my VR6 in a couple of weeks. Just so that I can prepare for the shock and arrange a second mortgage, does anyone know what the approximate price is for all of the above? I already have the gaskets so it's just the chains/guides/tensioners I need to buy.

Thanks.

PS. I don't have that price/part number online catalogue that I've seen some people on here refer to (can't remember what it is called) and that's why I ask.

Here's the list I purchased last year, and the year before to do my timing chains. Tthe attached pictured ties up with the numbers

the website is Vagcat, and the dealer catalog is ETKA, here's a link for a How-to-do guide http://wiki.the-corrado.net/category_engine_bay.html.

Matt

1 021109465B timing chain (lower) 1 £44.78 £44.78

2 021109467 chain tensioner (lower) 1 £29.87 £29.87

3 N90535001 M6x24 allen bolt (lower tensioner) 2 £0.17 £0.17

4 021109469 side rail (lower) 1 £4.12 £4.12

5 021109471 side rail pin (lower) 1 £1.74 £1.74

8 N10203803 M12x1.5x40 (mid pulley) 1 £1.16 £1.16

9 021109503A timing chain (upper) 1 £44.78 £44.78

10 021109511 chain guide pin (upper) 1 £12.24 £12.24

11 021109507A chain tensioner (upper) 1 £44.78 £44.78

12 N0138271 chain tensioner seal (upper) 1 £0.00 £0.55

13 021109509A chain guide (upper) 1 £29.87 £29.87

14 021109515A side rail pin (upper) 1 £7.95 £7.95

15 021109513 side rail (upper) 1 £10.73 £10.73

16 *N01152520 washer 1 £0.15 £0.15

17 N0102724 M8x26 hex bolt 1 £0.33 £0.33

18 *N01152520 washer 1 £0.15 £0.15

19 N01035210 M8x55 hex bolt 1 £0.64 £0.64

Total: £233.46 £234.01

Edited by MattPc

why you doing them mate, i have heard your corrado from start up mate and they dont need doing, i told you it was one of the quitest vr's i have ever heard.

VWVW - Thanks for the info pal, very helpful. Why would you advise on using the mk4 tensioner?

Karl - Better to be safe than sorry, and you know what I'm like about keeping it in tip top condition. It's more because of the chain guides than the chains. And as I now have the 16v to use I can take my time to do the VR without worrying about it being off the road.

Edited by DriverVR6

VWVW - Thanks for the info pal, very helpful. Why would you advise on using the mk4 tensioner?

[\QUOTE]Not 100 percent sure but was something that DG recommended when I had mine done. Iam sure someone would be able to explain :)

ok fair enough Vinny dont blame you but think/hope when take yours off your gonna see they dont need doing, and try these guys for the chains/tensioners as i have used them before and they were great with prices and deliver and all the parts were Febi so all OE.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mk4+golf+vr6+chain+tensioner&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CHUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvwgolfr32.co.uk%2Fshop%2FVR6-Timing.htm&ei=aDXNT9jIFszBswbC57iXBw&usg=AFQjCNEkWtiLRq3AQq7mgpLhb67y7YGkEA

I don't blame you for wanting to. The chains can be very quiet but it's usually the tensioners that wear. Fit a new clutch and flywheel while it's all apart.

The 24v guides are supposed to be harder wearing and the tensioner bolt is hydraulic as opposed to sprung like the 12v.

DriverVR6, no problems, we're all here to help one another,

As MK1 Campaign mentioned, and as I found out on my first VR6 the chains can be quiet, but it is the chain guides that wear/brake down over time and start to crack or run grooves near to the rivets, leading to a failure if not caught in time.

Matt

I stupidly did my last vr's chains at 95k and there was zero wear on all the guides

lewvw, it's not guide wear that I'm worried about, but the age. My VR is low mileage (coming up to 80k), but it is 20 years old. The guides are made of plastics, so like all plastic stuff on a Corrado they'll be getting brittle and prone to failure.

I know it's a long and expensive job to do properly, but I'd rather do it and have piece of mind (and so will the next owner if I sell it). The way I see it, it's cheaper than forking out for a 80k VR6 engine if they do fail.

ok fair enough Vinny dont blame you but think/hope when take yours off your gonna see they dont need doing, and try these guys for the chains/tensioners as i have used them before and they were great with prices and deliver and all the parts were Febi so all OE.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mk4+golf+vr6+chain+tensioner&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CHUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvwgolfr32.co.uk%2Fshop%2FVR6-Timing.htm&ei=aDXNT9jIFszBswbC57iXBw&usg=AFQjCNEkWtiLRq3AQq7mgpLhb67y7YGkEA

Anyone know if this kit uses the Mk4 tensioner?

Anyone know if this kit uses the Mk4 tensioner?

Yep those are mk4 guides and tensioner, it's the same kit I had from Fourseason tuning.

well in the pic it shows a mk4 tensioner, as its a one piece tensioner

Ahh I wouldn't know what one looks like if it jumped up and bit me lol

so whats the best kit to get. do all the bolts and washers need changing as says in 2nd post or can yo reuse what u dont get in option 3 of the febi kit?

so whats the best kit to get. do all the bolts and washers need changing as says in 2nd post or can yo reuse what u dont get in option 3 of the febi kit?

That kit with all the mk4 stuff is good. Also you will need a rear crank seal, rocker cover gasket, Middle inlet manifold gasket, clutch bolts and flywheel bolts. I didn't change any of the guide rail bolts. Might want to change the clutch too as it saves a rather big job in future.