Rams

Wheels arrived but damaged - advise needed

Hi guys

My wheels arrived today from German. First of all, they were in my driveway and only found this out when my girlfriend was leaving and she said there's 2 big boxes outside with your name on them.

So excitedly I ran down stairs and brought them up into my apartment and was instantly thinking, the packaging is a bit doggy but got them out of the 2 boxes and they are all badly damaged.

Buckled is not the word!

So my contact in German advises me to say they didn't arrive as nobody signed for anything. Not my preferred route. But the wheels looked and were described by the seller to be in very good condition.

The sellers pictures show a nice set of wheels and I'm thinking they were damaged in transport. But who is responsible? The seller? Or the transport company? Also if the transport company, is that this side or the German side?

They were not packed that well, one box was worse that the other and when lifting the box the rim was dropping down into the cardboard making it easy to dent if it's hit a hard surface.

I'm really disappointed but would like to know what I should do. Otherwise, will need all new dishes unless these can be fixed but that's stage 2 of my questioning.

Any advise welcomed.

Rams

[ATTACH]65145[/ATTACH][ATTACH]65149[/ATTACH][ATTACH]65153[/ATTACH][ATTACH]65157[/ATTACH][ATTACH]65161[/ATTACH]

Who arranged the courier? It will have to be that person who claims from them. But I would be tempted to say they didn't arrive, otherwise it will be an argument with the courier to prove they damaged them.

Would agree as above as I have had similar in past and made mistake of telling truth and big argument ensued over who was responsible me, the seller or courier, then the argument over what was insured and did I pay for extra insurance. I learnt my lesson and the next time it happened I said it did not arrive and I got offer of money back or they would re send. It could be looked as harsh but the seller should ensure good delivery and signed for to stop problems like this

Yeah "someone must have knicked them off your drive" what kind of delivery company leaves items they are supposed to deliver to the door on your drive id be well ****ed

I like to be truthful and believe it will prevail but like you say, if they didn't arrive ??? The concern is only that and not a dispute about condition.

Ive tried calling the tel number from the couriers website but it doesn't ring and I know the dialling code. Will maybe get my German contact to call courier company tomorrow.

I just want to check my neighbour didn't sign for them but he's always called me in the past to say a package was here for me. They were literally place by front of the property. Anyone could have pinched them.

I haven't said anything to seller yet and will see what other people suggest. I double checked each wheel again in the sellers pictures and they look perfect. He after all sent them and I sent payment by bank transfer so i was a apprehensive if they would arrive in the first place.

Can dishes like these be heated and re formed?

not signed for = not received, and if the courier says they left them outside then how can they prove they were not stolen. Which courier delivered them??

I'd like to say that honesty is the best policy, but in this day and age it's not, and when you are honest it ends up costing you. Sorry for being such a pessimist, but I'm just being honest.......

It's a German company. The value could have been much higher and again, how would they prove they were signed for.

So it seems Transport Company will be getting a call asking them where my wheels are!

I hope there's no issue regarding content in this post, if so, please delete as required

Deffo say they never arrived!! Even if they were ok when he sent them... There not now!

If your packin rims you should do it properly!

My mrs got a set of them lenso bbs rep things sent from a guy off eBay, they came wrapped together in 2s with nothing In between the rims! And the wrap wasn't even tight! Thankfully they wernt that bad but pi**es me right off when stuff like this happens.

Would be very wary of saying they never arrived. Sure, they've not been delivered properly, but they are in your possession now. So it's a path to no-where really. If it's not a dispute about condition, then I can't see the problem apart from the courier acting shoddily.

In terms of the condition, do you really think the courier company caused that damage? Being honest? It looks like the wheel hitt a huge pothole or knocked off a kerb, not dropped in a box (or out of it). To cause that damage, it would need to be hit very precisely.

These are my thoughts because they were asked for, honesty never pays, but lying gets you in a bigger mess mosst of the time. Whatever you do, hope you get a reasonable resolution.

The rims have no scratches where the big dents are. So theres no sign of scraping or hitting a verb, they do genuinely look like they've been mis handled. Or lifted up on a sac truck and dumped down. The box underneath had the most damaged 2 rims and the box on top had much less damage but still damaged.

Mmmm what to do?

Recipe off poor packaging, abused transport and no paper work.

Will report back when resolved but ultimately need compensation from someone to cover cost of repairs or replacements or all my money back.

So you have to ask one more question here.

Did you, or the shipper, ask/promise to use a signed-for delivery service?

That would be rather expensive from Germany. If no-one paid for signed-for then dropping it on your driveway is within the terms of their agreement..

However, if the packaging is not good enough then the seller has a duty to make it right, though it's up to them to claim any damage from the courier firm (I hope you took lots of photos of the boxes with the wheels still in them, as they were dumped on your driveway).

I agree with jamiehamy and dr_mat, saying you never received them amounts to theft, what method did you use to pay for them, if Paypal, start a dispute immediately as the goods are not as described, the seller should be sorting this out as he obviously never packed them properly in the first place

I felt uncomfortable saying they didn't arrive, just hope the seller can work something out with transport company.

Eitherway, need to fix or replace the damage and if I can get some money back etc it will be a bonus.

The seller will probably argue and say the courier mis treated them and I'm guessing I will be out of pocket but that's the risk I suppose of buying second hand.

Thanks for the comments chaps

Responsibility lies with the seller for me... you've got to package these things correctly and assume that the courier is going to play football with the boxes.

your not stealing off the seller mate, he will just claim off the transport company so wont be out of pocket, at the end of the day its not your or the sellers fault they have turned up in that state its the transport companys, and they have insurance to cover these happenings.

I hope that there isn't a tracker device fitted on the delivery vehicle. That will end this straight away...........

A tracker on the delivery vehicle would only prove that it was there. It wouldn't prove that a package was dumped on the drive.

And even if it could that doesn't provide a signed for receipt (if a signed for receipt was a requirement of the shipping terms)

Stick to the truth not worth a conviction for fraud for sake of wheels

Disappointed in the amount of people who support the blatant telling of untruths, particularly someone who is a Treasurer for a related organisation. Sorry, but I feel pretty strongly about this.

Mods - should this thread continue? I know removing it is not changing much, but it's not the sort of content the befits this community (in my humble opinion).

(Not a dig at you Rams btw, you only asked some questions)

People were just looking out for a forum member, I wouldn't call it dodgy, lets not forget that the 'truth' could leave Rams with an expensive set of knackered wheels! By the way Rams good luck sorting this.

Was it the seller telling you to say they didn't arrive? If they are suggesting you be dishonest in my books they are dishonest and chances are lied about the items condition in the first place, eBay is such a mine field.

That's my plan. I've already starter looking to see if they can be repaired to a true shape? Sent a few pictures to various wheel companies and seeing what dishes maybe available for sale?

I've already informed the seller that the wheels are damaged. Did that this morning and no reply. My German contact will call the seller tomorrow as they have spoken before as mediated the sale in German.

What's interesting, a few people I've spoken to have told me stories of friends they know that didn't sign for an item and claimed it as not received and were sent another item. it seems quite common!

Whilst I know that this would probably pocket me the value, I'd rather not take the risk. Hopefully seller will contact transport company and see if he can get me compensation or if indeed the seller will put his hand in his pocket but very much doubt that.

The polystyrene had all been broken down into smaller pieces which ended up in the centre of the wheel and not protecting the dishes. Also they were in the box dish down so no wonder they got butchered.

eBay won't really do much because I didn't pay by PayPal so didn't finish raising the case. I've taken quite a few pictures and if I can get my guy to speak to him tomorrow we can ask for his email address and can send him pictures. Can't send pictures via eBay.

Will let you know how I get on chaps.

Cheers

Was it the seller telling you to say they didn't arrive? If they are suggesting you be dishonest in my books they are dishonest and chances are lied about the items condition in the first place, eBay is such a mine field.

No, so far the seller is now aware they are damaged in English. Maybe he won't reply to my English message. My German contact will liaise with him tomorrow and go from there. The seller advertised them as good condition and straight etc. Pictures look clear and taken with flash and without flash.

It was suggested to me to claim they didn't arrive as they were just left on my driveway with no paper work or signature given.

Its now about seeing who will cover the damage and I probably need 4 new dishes. Just as well they are a split rim.