Butterfly

Is it cause I is a girl?

I needed a new cat on the 8v and was told there is scrap value in the old one so make sure I kept hold of it.

I've got it (cluttering up my home office) and I've tried asking numerous places to give me an idea of value as I don't want to go driving miles to only be offered £10 for it.... my time is precious to me and I'm not wasting it for a tenner... though I must have spent a few hours phoning companies and emailing with photos as requested...

Is it cause I is a girl that no-one bothers to call me back or is it hard work selling a single old cat????

Interested to know too.

I have an old CAT / manifold / brake discs, iron fire place etc.. couple of old radiators, and some old VR parts...

Scrappies aren't known for their embracing of technology ( email, phones, electricity). They're used to randoms with "assumed" names drifting in and plying them with metalic detreitus.

I had a little stockpile of scrap that I ammassed before journeying out recently for the same reason. Exhaust, shocks etc. Like you say, not worth their time for a few shekkles.

I'm sure if you had half a dozen rolls of lead off the church roof, they'd be on you like a tramp on a kipper.

Problem with car parts is that a magnet sticks to them. And anything that a magnet sticks to aint really worth the journey.

I have heard cats have somr rare metals inside that are worth a littld bit in scrap but i wouldn't get your hopes up you need a lot to get the money in.

Copper, lead and brass is where the money is :) oh joys of being a plumber :D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I have heard cats have somr rare metals inside that are worth a littld bit in scrap but i wouldn't get your hopes up you need a lot to get the money in.

A microscopically thin coating of platinum or something?! The amounts involved barely justify the hassle in extracting it. Or so I've heard.

You should be able to get 15-£20 for it at a car breakers/scrap yard.Thats what you would expect down here anyway.Must be genuine parts though

I've just had a NEW cat on my 16v... £88 inc VAT so doubt the used one is worth much :-(

last week i took 4 batteries from my boat down to my local scrap dealer. thet gave me 35p / kilo worked out to be £25 ish. but to be honest the hassel involved waswnt worth it. you have to fill loads of forms in and they take your car details reg plate etc. all gets filled away just incase you've stollen the stuff.

at a guess the cat on it own is not worth much.

I know a friendly pikey who comes to my local garage collecting scrap. Pays £5-10 per used battery and anywhere from £10-£70 per cat. Depending on size and type.

Allegedly cats where the two halves are welded shut are worth more than those which are pinched shut.

I don't think it's because youre a girl. It's because you're a random stranger selling one cat. It's more who you know as well as knowing worth.

mixed scrap about £200 per ton Cats as above batterys £5 upwards stainless , copper great prices,more for cars without the tyres on

PS i,m not a pikey:thumbleft:

local pikey offered my mates garage £30-40 for genuine cats, general scrap for aftermarket.

it is platinum used inside them, aftermarket cats have such a small amount they're basically worthless.

I've taken cars to Sims in Bristol, they have a place in Sheffield which list Cats in their metals wanted section. personally i'd go down there with it and see what they say; if the fuel justifies the drive!

http://uk.simsmm.com/aston

It's not because you're a girl, it's because they're useless. Collect a selection of metal products then go to the scrappy. No pound in taking one thing. Im getting some up together now.

It's not because you're a girl, it's because they're useless. Collect a selection of metal products then go to the scrappy. No pound in taking one thing. Im getting some up together now.

Agreed i always go when i have a good pile, best I've gots a cool £600 :cool:

I've git a wiring loom in the garage from a Mondeo is it worth taking with some other bits or not??

Well if you need to get rid of it you may aswell, its better stripped but youll get a couple of pennys for it.

Better then just chucking it i suppose

I'm sure if you had half a dozen rolls of lead off the church roof, they'd be on you like a tramp on a kipper.

this! Just made my day. Thanks :)

Well... I was in Sheffield city centre today so the Sims waste management site wasn't too far away.

I took it down there and was told that it didn't have the 'expensive' innards that are worth £30/£40 quid and was offered £5 for it. I couldn't be bothered to take it elsewhere so got the paperwork sorted (ID and proof of address).

On taking the chitty to the office for payment they said 'oh, it was a aftermarket one was it?'

It wasn't, it was the original 1995 one and I'm still not sure if I've been seen off but at least it is no longer cluttering up my office and talking my time and attention.

Thanks Baz for the link and everyone else for their opinions.