Sign in to follow this  
GsixT

What handles better MK1 Golf GTI Vs Corrado G60

I took out my mk1 the other day before I sell it...I forgot how fun they were even with the standard GTI engine in them. How does the corrado g60 compare handleing wise? Will it be too much of a transition for me to cope with? Im just so in love with the chuckability of a mk1 and how it powers out of corners so well...how much of this will I loose with the "upper class ness" and "grown up ness" of the heavier corrado?

Any opinions very welcome.

Regards

The C handles better. I went from a Mk1 GTi (Lharsa Green and still miss the thing badly!!)

The you still get the chuckability but it seems a bit more comtrolled in the G60.

I used to love the power off the Mk1 too, out of the corners but with the charger always spinning you get a load of torque ready to drag you straight out of a bend.

Trust me mate you won't be dissapointed going from a Mk1 GTi to a Rado G60.

It seems to lack some of the rawness but with the extra power and torque your favourite country lanes seem just that little bit better.

Right now I'm out of top gear presenter mode.

You'll Foookin love in mate.

RACK

There's more sheer physical grip in any standard Corrado than any early generation Golf. That extra weight doesn't just work against you in the corners, it works for you too...

something a little fun with the corrado is if you upgrade the suspension at all you can get some awesome 3 wheel action. heh.

Yes mine was lhasa green too. I went out in a vr6 corrado recently and my god did it fly round corners. Nice balance and a nice progressive drift. I cant say I thought it understeered much at all actually. I still think I will have to buy a corrado g60 soon. Just a case of when funds will allow.

I went froma mk2 gti with eibach ARB`s, koni ta`s, poly bushes etc to a std G60 and i reckon the Corrado handled better, great turn in compared to the golf, now my Corrado has eibach ARB`s, fk coilovers and poly bushes and it is absolutely brilliant! 8)

Baz

i have gone back to a mk2 fully set up suspension wise but now with brace bars etc and i think i actually prefer it to the corrado... just my opionion though :oops:

i have gone back to a mk2 fully set up suspension wise but now with brace bars etc and i think i actually prefer it to the corrado... just my opionion though :oops:

At the moment, I support your brave words!!! Once I get the car corner weighted things might change though.

yep the corrado had koni coilovers etc and the golf is of simular spec and i will stand by what i say in that its much more fun to drive ... :lol: the corrados are no doubt about it awesome just personally i think the golf is better...

Haway the golf boys, - must admit that with my konis set to stiff (ohh er), the car really is amazing in the corners, - it just digs in with perfect balance and makes you feel like you've actually got your hands on the front wheels. The corrado will no doubt feel more secure than a mk1 but it is essentailly a mk2 with more weight so surely the golf is the ultimate? - (especially stripped out and braced up eh daz) :wink: Gonna run away now before i get beaten up by all the C owners........LOL

Must agree with those preferring the older Golf Mk1 as well. For me my Rado is the ultimate civilised drive out of my 3-car Karmann collection, the 2 Roccos just being so much more raw fun, emphasis on raw! Nothing beats my Mk1 when I really want to have fun and experience what cars should be all about, driving fun, no gimmicks.

Just my 2 Cents.

Tempest

Just been out in my mate's Edition One G60 Golf and gotta say it held onto corners like no tomorrow.

Having said that, he said he'd quite happily swap it for my VR6.

He loves the way it pulls in every gear and does some three wheel action on the real baaad corners :lol:

Ive never driven a mk1 golf. but one of my friends had a mk3 and i like the way my vr6 c drive soo much better. it def pulls you around corners way better.

hehe the mk3 golf is a tad different to the mk1 and 2 golfs though...how can I put this...it was sh1te? lol I think I need to go out and test drive a G60 HARD and then come back here and report back! The thing is, I need a car that I can enjoy as a ddaily driver as donthave the money nor time to only drive a stripped out harsh mk1 on the weekends doing track days etc. I need to be able to set off to work and be able to hear music playing above the wind noise :D The MK1 cant cut it anymore for me as a daily driver. I need something more civilised but still rewarding to drive being an all round combination of the two cars.

the best combination is a mk 1 with a g60. mine runs on koni coilovers eibach arbs bushed all roundand with a g60 tuned by darren pushing out 240+bhp. go kart like handling porshe eating power. the best bit is when you look in the rear view mirror.the car is so stiff and vibrates so much you have to hold it to see whats behind!! Gsix T sounds like your getting old!

its not bad.i'm into go not show hence the dirt and rust .did a 14.1 last year at santa pod on the old spec charger should be low 13s now

Guys stop it! Im meant to be getting rid of my mk1 this isnt helping! :lol: No as much as I love the old mk1s the time has come fo rme to upgrade to bigger better things...a corrado namely. The mk1 is great to own and drive yes, but on just the slightest practicality note it sucks for daily driving and enjoyment as an all round car. The mk1 for me is all about th ego I agree, and I dont get a chance to use JUST that anymore. Im not getting THAt old whoever said that :lol: I do have a family to consider though, and the thought of a stripped out mk1 racer (which I have oh so contemplated for long enough now!) doenst come high on the list for all round practicality. The corrado is helpfully quick and refined enough and just about practical enough to get away with buying 8) cunning.

So come on...lets hear some more corrado positives :wink: I have a mate thats swears by the fact that even the 8 valve basic corrado handles better than mk1 or 2 golfs.

PS: nice mk1 above. That was th eplan for mine for ages. Are you running an LSD with it?

I've gone from a MKI 16V to a Corrado 16V and then via a series of other cars (MKII 8V included) to my current G60 Corrado...

I can honestly say, for shear enjoyment and rawness, the MKI 16V kills anything I've driven since.... However, the Corrado G60 is the most refined, fun, fast car I've driven (to own!) it's on a par with a standard MKI GTI handling wise... and, although you can feel the extra weight thru the corners, it more than makes up for it by it's sure footed-ness and power delivery... 8)

I've still got my MKI 16V and when my G60 Corrado's engine expired, I chose to rebuild the Corrado over the MKI.... 8)

The MKI will be rebuilt as a summer toy, but never to be used as a daily driver... ;)