Jim Bowen

Air gun shooting?

Just curious really, does anyone on here shoot airguns regulary?

Been trying to get into the hobby, bought a rifle, then a pistol, then spent money modifiying the rifle, now want another rifle.

Its fast becoming an expensive hobby, and the sad things is i'm not really finding anywhere to go and shoot things.

Looking at getting a HW100, quite like the KS version, but i think with the scope and filling stuff is going to cost just over £1000....eek

I used to have a Weihrauch HW45 and absolutely loved it.

Now that I have a big garden that backs out onto farmland, I might look into getting a rifle actually!

Thats what i bought not long ago, the HW45, and probably only shot it 40-50times so far, just sits in a box looking nice.

I need some farmland :(

Iv got a trusty old diana (i think its called ) was my dads he messed around with it at replaced the spring with a heavier duty one , its got some piwer and is quite acurate when set up

We stopped using the rifles and started going to clay shooting wich is a good laugh and its cheaper than you think , one thing is the first time you shoot a proper double barred is the adrenalin rush , its a good feeling

yea been into air guns for years , nothing serious just messing around shooting cans and targets, iv got a bsa xl lightening with a theoben gas strut that replaces the spring , makes it smoother and changes the sound abit, havnet been shooting since last year though...

I used to shoot a lot when younger, I got the chance of a HW100 last year at a silly price, full kit with scope, extra magazines etc for under £500, the whole lot was less than 6 months old and came with a receipt for £5 short of a grand :bonk: I think I paid a tenner for my first air rifle!

Thats a bargain, i've just been over the gun shop and he got two HW100 just come in 2nd hand, wanted £650 without a scope.

I'm looking at a KT version now, after trying out the thumbhole stock (didn't think i'd like it, but i really do)

Priced up what i want new and it comes to £1200, so might hang on for a 2nd hand kit.

Been wondering about gas ram conversion, my mate is looking to rebuild his old BSA airsporter

yeah i have thanks :)

Joined a few airgun forums over the last year and doing a lot of reading/research.

Already rushed out and bought a rifle without doing any research at all. :lol:

I used to shoot sold my kit due to not enough use, I lost my two primary shoots and didn't have much luck finding others.

I had a Wembley fx2000 with charging cylinder, ever since Wembley went bust there rifles have not held there value, if I went for another I would get a bsa ultra or scorpion a lot lighter and do the same as the bigger guns.

Or you could go straight for firearms licence and get a proper gun .22 rimfire or .17 hmr. Lots more fun power and accuracy and cheaper too

Have enjoyed air guns since being a young lad, so rather alot of years now! My first rifle was a Relum Tornado, followed by a BSA Mercury, BSA MK1 Airsporter, Weirauch HW45, Titan pre-charged, to what I currently have an Air Arms S410 Classic .22 uwith a rather nice German scope.

Have done the whole full bore firearms thing post leaving the Army, but have since sold these on as I didn't have the time to justify continued ownership. Great sport to follow and take part in, glad to read that a number of you feel the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in an area where the phrase at it like rabbits is taken to a whole new level and the little *******s are everywhere and always get into the vegetable patch, So........-)

Edited by Peebee

Illegal to hunt with a bow in this country unfortunately

That sucks really, no different from a rifle,My dad was always into shooting but i mainly stuck to air pistols (westlake) and catapults (black widow),never got a rifle as there is nowhere legal to shoot now.Went out a few times with my friends rifle we modded on the lathe to be .2 i believe it is? had infa-red and night visions on scope so it lit up animals eyes like torches :lol:

I live in an area where the phrase at it like rabbits is taken to a whole new level and the little *******s are everywhere and always get into the vegetable patch, So........-)

Are they classed as vermin? I'd like to take out a few pigeons that keep cr@pping on my windows 5 minutes after the window cleaner has been round.

To OP, it all depends how much you want to get into the shooting side, and whether you are going down target or game shooting. There must be some local gun clubs/shops you can check with if you are going down the target side of things. You can spend as much or as little as you want to be honest. My air rifle was about £100 and it's fine for what I need it for. My 7.62mm second hand rifle was about £1200 with a scope and a moderator but some people spend more than that on the scope alone.

I have an air rifle (had a problem with rats in the garden), and a license for a 7.62mm and a couple of other rifles. I do target shooting only these days, so I was turned down for a .17 hmr as they are purely game/vermin guns and my licence only covers me for target work. Shame as they looked like good fun.

Oh, and hunting with a cross bow is nothing like hunting with a rifle (I spent 20 yeras doing field and target archery, and have had great fun with crossbows in that environment, so yes I can compare them). Hunting with a rifle relies on system shock to the prey, hunting with a crossbow relies on severing something vital and requires much more accuracy. In my opinion I'm glad bow hunting is banned in this country - too many people who think they would be good at it just wouldn't.

In the early 1960s, when I was a teenager, a pal of mine used to shoot girls in the bum with his air pistol. I was never with him at those times, but he certainly had such a gun and leant it to me.

Later in school he became dux in chemistry with the highest ever mark (98% or something equally impossible).

After college, his job career was with Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Schools. He rose to became deputy inspector of schools for Scotland.

You never really know how people will turn out.

Buying another springer rifle this weekend, Its an Air Arms TX200HC, 2nd hand and comes with a nice scope.

Going to take both my rifles and the pistol to the airgun range next week and see which rifle i prefer and sell the other one.

Think i'll also sell the pistol as don't see me getting any use from it.

Maybe we could all go on a corrado club hunt :lol:

Air Arms are pretty good, I picked up an AA S200 for my son, he's only 9, great wee rifle, but its still just a bit heavy for him without a rest

Yeah I've just been reading about it being a heavy breast, even heavier than the one I have at the moment. And that is heavy, it also comes with a pretty fancy looking scope, which I am sure is also going to be heavy.

Oh well.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Got it lastnight, quick pic of it. Not had a chance to fire it yet, got home from picking it up and went to bed.

2012-07-22230448.jpg

2012-07-22230521.jpg

Found a club to shoot at, some pics

2012-09-01223047.jpg

2012-09-01223317.jpg

2012-09-01223146.jpg

This is the back wall, 50yds out, plenty of knockdown targets

2012-09-01223207.jpg

2012-09-01223232.jpg

Also an outdoor range and 400acres of farmland that you can hunt on. (not tried that yet)

Still hardly going though, last time i went i was all on my own and felt a bit of a loner :lol:

You lucky swine. I would still have my rifle if I had somewhere like that to shoot, all I had was a 25yd range got a little boring after a while