VR6

BBS RM ... why so expensive?

I have a Mk2 Golf and really fancy a set of these. But why the hell are even scabby sets fetching north of £800?!

I know there are some alternatives, Lenso, Dare etc. Any thoughts on getting the same look but without the ridiculous 'scene' price-tag?

Ok just to be clear I'm somewhere between photoshop ... and £2k for some RS (or £1.2k for RM) ... :lol:

Photoshop :lol:

I doff my hat to you sir. That made me chuckle.

The options are photoshop/G60 RZ's/Fake Splits/RM's/RS's.

It's all about the late night ebay snipes really. Cheap sets do come up from time to time, but normally need work doing/redrilling/new dishes etc. Stop being tight and shell out for a decent set, treat them well and they'll sell for the same money. Fakes will save you afew quid upfront but you'll loose more in the long run.

I've seen the Lenso's on mk2's and they look like a BBS split to me, no doubt a BBS connoisseur would tell me different :) I like the idea of having a similar look but without having to worry about the investment too much.

If I still had my MK2 it would have a set of 15" Ronal LS as they are sweet, cheap and smart as a carrot ;)

I've seen the Lenso's on mk2's and they look like a BBS split to me, no doubt a BBS connoisseur would tell me different :) I like the idea of having a similar look but without having to worry about the investment too much.

If I still had my MK2 it would have a set of 15" Ronal LS as they are sweet, cheap and smart as a carrot ;)

Yeah these are very good BBS a-like's without the associated ridiculous cost!

I`ve just bought this with lenso`s fitted, nice wheels and mint condition but i`m looking for the standard bbs ra`a or rm`s for the right money..

DSCF4398.jpg

Ok so I'm in the right ballpark then, thinking wise. I don't mind spending RM money - as you say they would hold their value if looked after. Problem is I'm not a polisher and don't think I can be bothered with the arse ache of cleaning them twice a day.

They look pretty nice actually Andy. 15's I presume - what width and offset? Give me a yell if you want to get rid ...

Get the real deal, a decent set will hold their price if looked after, you could have had my set if you had posted earlier, 8.5s all round with half hieght centres :shades:

Very nice indeed!

I presume you've just literally sold them on this week then?

Very nice indeed!

I presume you've just literally sold them on this week then?

No, it was about 5 years ago :grin:

:lol:

you could have had my set if you had posted earlier

Lol I think I still owned a Corrado about 5 years ago!

I sold a set of BBS RMs for £1100 but to be honest they cost me more than that to build. The price of RS's have been killed by the amount or reps about.

I put new bolts all round, had them blasted and professionally painted, and had £600 of radinox stainless steel round the edges of them.

:lol:

Lol I think I still owned a Corrado about 5 years ago!

That was payback for my NOT MINE ebay thread :smug:

There are a couple of sets up my way, both decent, both 15x8s all round, I'll PM you the details, keep the vultures away for now :thumbleft:

My girlfriend has these on her arosa!

They look ok for reps but when parked up at a show next to the real thing it's pretty obvious.......... Obviously:)

That was payback for my NOT MINE ebay thread :smug:

There are a couple of sets up my way, both decent, both 15x8s all round, I'll PM you the details, keep the vultures away for now :thumbleft:

:lol: git

Good stuff, cheers chap :afro:

Good spot! :) Unfortunately, if I do take the plunge, I'm hoping for 7.5" on the front and 8" on the back. Which means that after buying 4x dishes and refurbing those, I'm probably north of £1k. So may as well buy some already done and save the hassle.

I just think the prices for BBS RM's and RS's have gone through the roof. Had two set's of RM's and sold them for around 200 GBP a set, all nice and original, and not tampered with. My old set of 15*7" RS's I sold for 700 GBP with 4 brand new Toyo Proxes T1-R in the correct 195/50-15 size. More narrow is dangerous to drive with.

In my experience the RM's are inferrior wheels, being soft metal, heavy and not as nice made. Still nice wheels though. But the bolts don't go all the way through, and that may become a problem, once renovated.

Now I have a set of 16*7" RS's 4*100mm also. Perfectly straight and original. May keep them for a project in future.

So, for a Corrado I would go for the RS model in 16*7" et 28 with 215/45-16 all around, not to destroy the good behaviour af the car. Wider wheels in the rear may send the rear end out in a turn. This is a sportscar after all. Perfectly neutral handeling is what I am after.

Also the RS's are lighter, so it makes the handleing better, than with heavy wheels, which can surely be felt.

Just my two pence,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

There's a mk2 golf gti for sale on edition38 with BBS RM's. I want it for a winter run around so if someone wants to make him a cheap offer for the car and sell it on without the RM's!!!

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=465040

You buy the car, I'll take the wheels off you :)

I just think the prices for BBS RM's and RS's have gone through the roof. Had two set's of RM's and sold them for around 200 GBP a set, all nice and original, and not tampered with. My old set of 15*7" RS's I sold for 700 GBP with 4 brand new Toyo Proxes T1-R in the correct 195/50-15 size. More narrow is dangerous to drive with.

In my experience the RM's are inferrior wheels, being soft metal, heavy and not as nice made. Still nice wheels though. But the bolts don't go all the way through, and that may become a problem, once renovated.

Now I have a set of 16*7" RS's 4*100mm also. Perfectly straight and original. May keep them for a project in future.

So, for a Corrado I would go for the RS model in 16*7" et 28 with 215/45-16 all around, not to destroy the good behaviour af the car. Wider wheels in the rear may send the rear end out in a turn. This is a sportscar after all. Perfectly neutral handeling is what I am after.

Also the RS's are lighter, so it makes the handleing better, than with heavy wheels, which can surely be felt.

Just my two pence,

Redfox.

Good post :salute:

I should have said though, wheels would be for a Mk2 Golf rather than a Corrado.

Speaking of prices, what do half decent sets of RH ZW1's go for these days? Had a look on Ebay (UK) but couldn't see any.

Hi VR6,

If it's for a Golf Mk II I would go for 15" versions, as they sit better in my humble view. But I've seen and driven one (G60 Golf II) with both 16" and 17" and it was okay, but slightly boring steeringwise. I mean it didn't handle as sharp as a Mk II Golf should, once set up propperly. On my former Golf II I kept 15" RM's and later on RS, plus all the usual mods suspension wise, and it handeled razorsharp. The Golf II I have tried that had 17" OZ's had to because of 330 mm discs front and 280 rear. That could stop it in a giffy!!! ;)

To me it helps with very light wheels and don't hang me for it, but I think OZ superlegera is a light wheel. Others may be able to confirm this.

I had a set of RM's which had torn bolt threads, because they couldn't be tightened,and couldn't be airtight, but I repaired them in the end. So I would surely go for RS items. Copy versions are not as strong and more heavy. If one doesn't care about all that, just throw a copy set on, of course. But if handleing and weight is important, then grab a set of RS originals. Look into bmw's as there are often set's that may fit for lesser moeny. Some Mazda's like the MX-5 also use 4*100 patern.

I would not say don't get the RM's as they are nice and not heavier than many other wheels, but just remember to be very very carefull if you take them apart, and rebuild them.

Btw, the weight of a set of RM'sover a set of 17" BBS RC which is also forged is immense.

As far as I know BBS developed the cross patern of the spokes of the RS's because they were the strogest patern they could make for racing. Being heavily involved in racing, BBS let this knowledge flow downstream to us the ever willing to pay a lot endusers.

I had the original receipt for my former RS's originally bought at a vw dealer by a woman for her Golf II 16v, and she paid no less than 19.000 dkr which means something like 2500 gbp in 1987! That's a lot recalculated into todays moeny. That included a set of BBS valvecaps, a BBS wrench to take off the centercaps, and a set og Conti sport contact (if I remember correctly).

in danger of sounding snobish, but not at all meant that way, I think BBS makes super nice wheels which is also very good quality and is actually round ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Rs 047`s and 001`s are good sizes and spec for standard running mk2`s... also has rs003`s on my 20v but they are hard to find and cost me 1500 without tyres.