Jim Bowen

Iphone 4S vs Iphone 4 & Galaxy S2

Its time to get a new phone, Had a sony xperia for the last 2yrs and seem of been struggling with it waiting until my upgrade is due, its been off for repair twice, had a new motherboard fitted, had to replace the battery, now it says no sim. So never getting sony again (which is all i've had for 10yrs)

Not sure what to get, never had an iphone, is it worth getting the 4S over the 4?

Is a galaxy S2 as good? Seems everything is apple and iphone these days and any other brand takes 2nd seat and has to make do with an alternative.

Thinking if i get an iphone it will be problem free and have decent support and also won't get the "iphone only" message on my inferior android thing, with silly names like gingerbread.

might be worth waiting a few weeks until the iphone5 is out, this may affect the offers available on other phones,

for me, I fail to see whay you would pay twice as much for an iphone contract over some of the very good android offerings, but then I like to fiddle and the whole apple closed system puts me off more than anything, even if they are nice bits of hardware and slick in operation (I do like the new ipad I use though, at least for the web browsing)

Personally, I've had iphones for 4.5 years (first a 3G then a 4) and not had a problem with either of them. Very reliable hardware and software in my experience, as a 'casual' user with normal expecations from a smart phone. I've had friends have problems with them though, but the service from the Apple stores has always been first rate in their experience. They got a new handset, no questions asked.

It depends what you're used to. All of my media is in iTunes, therefore an iphone sits well with it and is all dead easy to use. If you're a bit of a media free spirit and like to tamper, jail break and tweak, then iphones probably aren't for you.

I've just encouraged my missus to get the T Mobile iPhone 4 8GB deal. £26 month for 2000 mins to any network, unlimited data and texts and unlimited mins to other T mobile phones. It's a stonking deal. She's not a gamer, heavy music listener or hardware fanboi, so it's perfect for her.

IMHO, the 4S isn't worth it. Wait for the 5 as David said, and even then, wait until the hysteria / teething problems have died down before taking the plunge. I love new hardware like the next bloke, but I can't be doing with this whole camping outside the shop nonsense! I always wait for the dust to settle :D

Been thinking of just getting the iphone 4 to save a bit of money, i won't be getting too technical with the phone. Deffo cba to get the iphone5 and over pay for something i won't really use properly.

I usually only require the ability to:

-phone people

-text people

-take photos

-use device to show people said photos

-got itunes and a ipod so in theory could ditch the ipod

-little bit of internet browsing (have quit facebook and twitter so won't need them)

My xperia did it all, but has been a pain in the arse with crashing and faults etc.

The 8GB ip4 is the perfect weapon for you then sir. And that T-Mobile deal is the best I could find, providing T-Mobile has good coverage where you are of course.

I saw no reason what so ever to upgrade my 4 to a 4S. In all honesty, I'm not expecting the 5 to be a massive leap forward either. Perhaps a little thinner and 1cm taller screen, if the rumours are true. The processing will be a lot more powerful though, but again with Apple, you'll have to pay a ridiculous amount to climb up each GB choice.

I think phones have hit a plateau now. I can't see anything in the next few years being as ground breaking as the iphone was when it launched. The 4 imo is a really nice phone and has plenty of life left in it yet.

I've just encouraged my missus to get the T Mobile iPhone 4 8GB deal. £26 month for 2000 mins to any network, unlimited data and texts and unlimited mins to other T mobile phones. It's a stonking deal. She's not a gamer, heavy music listener or hardware fanboi, so it's perfect for her.

That sounds like a great deal! I'm new to all this smart phone lark, but I'm finally going to accept that my Nokia 6310i probably won't ever break and I could do with a decent camera and mobile internet for work, so time to bite the bullet. Where did your missus get that from Kev?

I assume the above deal won't transfer to the new Iphone when it comes out? i.e is it worth me waiting for the same deal with the new phone, or would the equivalent deal with the new phone cost more? As much as I'm not bothered about having the latest gadget it seems daft to get the current Iphone if I could have the latest one that's out this month for the same price.

Edited by Walesy

Galaxy S3 few mates have them they look and feel great, always been on the android side of things though so im a bit biased towards them. I have the GS2 and thats been great too

undoubtedly there will be deals just as good on the 4s as there are on the 4 in a few weeks. looking at weekend of the 21st sept for launch.

the phone should be announced around the 10th and that's when the preorder/clearance deals come about so you have about a 10 day window!

Get an s3 over iphone, apple make their phones in disgusting factory conditions with slave labor and charge a fortune. I was appauled what i read on line and sansung is way better conditons in factory.

Plus there phones are weak as ****, all my lass mates forever break them with little drops and my s3 is awsome and took many a hit.I find android stuff more reasonably priced for apps too and its more open software wise whereas apple your tied into the gaylord fashion accessory pack.

I know im a little biased but i hate fashion phones and prefer something that does the job over been another sheep, in the north apple stuff has become more for girls now instead of blackberrys.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103798/Revealed-Inside-Apples-Chinese-sweatshop-factory-workers-paid-just-1-12-hour.html

Got to agree with Mr Sunderland.

When is 4G appearing aswell as that might be worth waiting for too if its going to happen soon. Heard orange/t-mobile got the rights first so maybe in the next few months we'll see 4G phones

Got to agree with Mr Sunderland.

When is 4G appearing aswell as that might be worth waiting for too if its going to happen soon. Heard orange/t-mobile got the rights first so maybe in the next few months we'll see 4G phones

getting trialed in the next month, im on orange so cant wait for it...when the machines are running at work i just sit on my phone on night shift so this means ill now buy even more crap i don t need on ebay :lol:

I don't mind funding the suicide nets, says workers are happy

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

getting trialed in the next month, im on orange so cant wait for it...when the machines are running at work i just sit on my phone on night shift so this means ill now buy even more crap i don t need on ebay :lol:

Haha yeah me too im on Orange, is the GS3 4g capable then ?

Haha yeah me too im on Orange, is the GS3 4g capable then ?

yeah,it already has a higher version of 3g on mine since ive had it,but only get it in good areas,it comes up with h+ or something like that

4g already running on them in the us

Edited by corrado_sunderland

That sounds like a great deal! I'm new to all this smart phone lark, but I'm finally going to accept that my Nokia 6310i probably won't ever break and I could do with a decent camera and mobile internet for work, so time to bite the bullet. Where did your missus get that from Kev?

I assume the above deal won't transfer to the new Iphone when it comes out? i.e is it worth me waiting for the same deal with the new phone, or would the equivalent deal with the new phone cost more? As much as I'm not bothered about having the latest gadget it seems daft to get the current Iphone if I could have the latest one that's out this month for the same price.

Lol, I've still got my old 6310i :d Great phone! Standby in weeks compared to

the hours you get with a smart phone ;)

She got the phone from T Mobile's site mate.

It's a good deal because it's an old phone, but still better than the other networks. Iphone 5 contracts will be £35+ on all the networks I reckon.

So many Apple hating hipsters around :lol: The most complaints about Smartphones always come from the Android crowd :d

I've just upgraded from 3gs to 4s , the 5 will be full of bugs and glitches no doubt with a shed load of ios updates. I'll wait till the 5s comes out to upgrade again. The 4s is plenty for me 32gb and i jailbreak all my Iphone/pod/pad devices any way. I pay enough for handsets and contracts to pay for bloody apps. I thought the 4g in the states wasn't true 4g? i was there for 2 months beginning of year and i'm pretty sure i ask and was told it wasn't any better or supported yet. I might be wrong lol. Anyway sod the cheap Samsung get an Apple much better imo...

I've just upgraded from 3gs to 4s , the 5 will be full of bugs and glitches no doubt with a shed load of ios updates. I'll wait till the 5s comes out to upgrade again. The 4s is plenty for me 32gb and i jailbreak all my Iphone/pod/pad devices any way. I pay enough for handsets and contracts to pay for bloody apps. I thought the 4g in the states wasn't true 4g? i was there for 2 months beginning of year and i'm pretty sure i ask and was told it wasn't any better or supported yet. I might be wrong lol. Anyway sod the cheap Samsung get an Apple much better imo...

Yeah its made in a better quality factory with better quality screens,processor and you dont have to void your handset warranty to use it to its full potential like you have....cheap my hairy pumper :lol: every person i know with apple phones who arent up their arse always moan and regret them as my s3 is way faster and the s2 was as well to relevant apple phone,they are a fashion accessory not the highest level of tech on the market

The apple logo stands for a never finished product if you read about it, the creater stated he never wanted to offer a finished product which is why the bite is out the apple,the owner is always chasing the next new product to feel complete....**** that gay cult

yeah,it already has a higher version of 3g on mine since ive had it,but only get it in good areas,it comes up with h+ or something like that

4g already running on them in the us

Yeah i get H+ at work and sometimes at home, loads webpages far faster than on 3G

I've used the s2 and s3 wasn't really impressed, jailbreaking for me has never been a problem . If the phone goes faulty (which one hasn't ...yet lol) a restore gets rid of the jailbreak and apple are none the wiser... just for me the hacking side is easy and free apps with no extras to pay for suits me fine. The samsung is just a copy any way lol....(wait for the bite lol ) I think once you have a brand for a while untill something goes wrong people stay with the brand. Prior to getting my iphones i always had sony till there went sh*t and broke all the time. The misses got an LG touch screen something that was poo and we both got iphones...also iphones are good if you use/have itunes for your music collection

Been having the same debate myself. Leaning towards the samsung galaxy s2 (s3 is getting silly big and really not pocket friendly - not to mention the S2 is available with some pretty good deals). I would buy the google or a HTC but i'd rather fund the anti-apple court case (and get a better screen too..).

You wouldn't catch me giving apple any money (not many folks round here will be surprised to hear that..), though I'd grudgingly have to admit that the products are alright, even if all they're really doing is honing someone else's ideas (then charging others for stealing the same ideas).

the new iphone will be just as big as s3 dueb to the trend at the moment but ive yet to see an apple product when conpared agaisnt its equal level adversery beat it,they always compare them to inferior things,even my x10 was faster that iphone at first....then it died with software updates and they have never been back on the ball since so i had to covert to samsung.

The way i see it is,if you wanna pay for an image its apple if you wanna pay for functionality and latest tech its android.There pcs are ok but price vs spec again there way overpriced against rivals.......maybe the extra pays for the suicide nets :lol:

the new iphone will be just as big as s3 dueb to the trend at the moment

Exactly ;) There is no escaping a 'trend'. Apple are top of the Smartphone food chain and the haters are desperate to see them knocked down. Just because so many people like the iPhone, doesn't make it a bad product :D How many millions of VW Golfs are there across the globe? That wasn't a bad car last time I looked? ;) It's an over priced car compared to it's rivals, but people still buy them in droves.

I'm not an Apple bum boy. They can shove their hideously over priced desktops, laptops and ipads but their phone suits my lifestyle perfectly. I don't care who made it, it's a good phone, period. If it was made by some obscure Korean company no one's ever heard of, I'd still buy it. I just can't jump onto the apple hating train because I can't see any justification for it. Apple are just clever with their marketing and stock throttling to build up demand. What company doesn't want people camping outside their shops, desperate for their products? The hating just reeks of corporate jealousy :D

The problem with Apple's rivals is they are just rushing products out to compete, rather than putting more effort into producing something that blows the iPhone completely out of the water. When and if that happens, sure, I'll buy one :D

Yeah its made in a better quality factory with better quality screens,processor and you dont have to void your handset warranty to use it to its full potential like you have....cheap my hairy pumper :lol: every person i know with apple phones who arent up their arse always moan and regret them as my s3 is way faster and the s2 was as well to relevant apple phone,they are a fashion accessory not the highest level of tech on the market

The apple logo stands for a never finished product if you read about it, the creater stated he never wanted to offer a finished product which is why the bite is out the apple,the owner is always chasing the next new product to feel complete....**** that gay cult

You don't half post some utter BS mate.

As someone who works in IT and has done for 15 years, I would say hand on heart for someone who wants a great quality product which just works, the iPhone is hard to beat. Yes, a lot of people do buy them as fashion accessories and because everyone else buys them - but the iPhone is completely responsible for the innovation that's now happening in the smart phone market. Before the iPhone came out, all the main companies were resting on their laurels and doing nothing.. the iPhone came out and totally shook them all up. They also know how to handle customer service well - all the people I've known who've had problems with their iPhones have walked into Apple stores, and walked out soon after with new handsets - no questions asked. It's worth paying for that kind of service.

I'm totally impartial and in fact own an iPhone 4 (work phone), HTC Mozart (which runs Windows Phone 7.5) and my outgoing handset is an HTC Desire (Android). As a nice, easy to use, all round package for someone who just wants a phone that works the iPhone is the best by far. Windows Phone has exceeded my expectations but is still missing a lot of features.

It's true the iPhone doesn't have the very latest tech but seriously who gives a crap? Like a dual core processor in a phone isn't enough?!

And if you think that most consumer electronics aren't made in gigantic chinese sweatshops, and only Apple exploit workers in this way, then you really need to wake up. Foxconn make products for hundreds of other companies, and indeed production of components for iPhone are outsourced to many other companies - like Samsung! So if Samsung treat their employees well, then by proxy, Apple treats it's employees well ;)

They also know how to handle customer service well - all the people I've known who've had problems with their iPhones have walked into Apple stores, and walked out soon after with new handsets - no questions asked. It's worth paying for that kind of service.

And if you smash the phone, they will sell a new one for £100 if you're on a contract, again, no questions.

I don't know how that compares to Androids etc, but considering the phone is, what, £400 sim free? That's not bad. FWIW, I've dropped mine from waist height onto the garage floor 3 times now and it's still working perfectly. But I've seen plenty of iphones with shattered screens. F'ck knows what people do to them.

And if you think that most consumer electronics aren't made in gigantic chinese sweatshops, and only Apple exploit workers in this way, then you really need to wake up. Foxconn make products for hundreds of other companies, and indeed production of components for iPhone are outsourced to many other companies - like Samsung! So if Samsung treat their employees well, then by proxy, Apple treats it's employees well ;)

Same with cars isn't it. I liken the insestous nature of mass production to a restaurant. Lots of different and lovely products presented to the customers out front, but all made by the same over-worked and sweating Chefs out back.

I hate to sound a stick in the mud but i dont by vw's now either as they have become an overated pile of crap with little wazuks wearing new era caps and high tops takin over ane ****ing off over them (these are two things i wore alot when i was younger but since they came to fashion with plebs i no longer can :( ), vws are overcomplicated and by 5 years old most need very very expensive parts and have loads of electrical issues which proves to me they are overhyped now.The old stuff is where its at

Maybe im different but ive used apple and android and for me i feel like your tret like a pleb with apple and you have to stick on there way of doing things so im out, plus the factory conditions may yes be similar but one item costs alot more so ultimately its not worth the extra cash. And as regards the service why should you have to go to them, i pay 6 quid a month with orange and 7 days a week a new phone is at my door the next day if i have any issues.

Im quite suprised a man of .IT likes apple if im honest gym,my friends are I.T technicians or whatever its called for the local council and cant stand them.

Edited by corrado_sunderland