BILLCOR

30k Miler VR

These sorts of adverts don't half bug the hell out of me. Top money for a Corrado, and barely any information on spec, any work that it's had done, etc etc.

Yup. The arrogance of assuming it's low mileage is all that's required to command that price.

There is no way I would buy a 30K old VR6. It'll still need a chassis rebush. Rubber doesn't just wear out, it also perishes with age.

indeed.. amazing mileage, but terrible photos etc.. nothing to prove its been looked after. in fact looking through the photos i was hoping the car had been stored in that house contained garage behind, until the last one showing it under cover outside. yuk.

Yup. The arrogance of assuming it's low mileage is all that's required to command that price.

There is no way I would buy a 30K old VR6. It'll still need a chassis rebush. Rubber doesn't just wear out, it also perishes with age.

Precisely. Presumably stuff such as brake lines will all still corrode as they're still being exposed to air / moisture, and pipework in the engine bay will be perishing at the same sort of rate.

Yep! He hasn't bothered at all. Not even with a proper leather treatment. Rear ashtray open and not even hoovered. Just a quick wash on the outside and that's it.

Don't get me wrong, it is a very clean car indeed, but for that sort of money a lot more effort should have gone into it. As I say, just an arrogant bloke thinking he's got a crate of gold there.

Yes - WE know all that stuff, but someone who has £6k and desperately wants a VR6 will be interested in making an offer. Cant blame the vendor for asking that sum either, it's a free country.

I am an old cynic, too - so it's just an opinion from another viewpoint. Been in court too often - looking at things from both sides rubs off.

I viewed this 2 years ago with the previous owner wanting 5k for it, very original and genuine car but as you can see has not been looked after as well as it could have.

DSCF1154.jpg

DSCF1152.jpg

DSCF1141.jpg

DSCF1128.jpg

DSCF1132.jpg

DSCF1126.jpg

Bit harsh .. 15 year old car with "some rust", well big woopee doo. Show me one that doesn't! :)

The low miles IS worth money, the chassis hasn't been bent, the dash won't rattle, the trim might not be broken, hell even the bloody air direction controls might still work properly. The car will, most importantly, *feel* like a new car. That's why it is truly worth a significant amount more than an even excellent high miler.

Meanwhile you can bet that if someone with a concourse quality 30k miles example was selling it you'd be looking at £10k and upwards, and fair enough too.

Personally I wouldn't pay £7k, and it's a bit cheeky buying it two years back for £5k, doing nothing at all then selling it on with a 40% markup, but low miles is worth a premium.

The low miles IS worth money, the chassis hasn't been bent, the dash won't rattle, the trim might not be broken, hell even the bloody air direction controls might still work properly. The car will, most importantly, *feel* like a new car. That's why it .

Not necessarily. I've driven a low mileage VR6 on the IOM and that didn't feel any different to mine.

Each car will have its own foibles. Most high miles 'rados rattle like *******s because VW didn't figure out how to design dashboards until another ten years after they came out.

Each car should be and can only be judged on it`s condition. Low mileage does not guarentee thats its mint... people buy for different reasons. The underneath of this one does not match what the owner told me... only ever dry used and dry stored.

Fair enough, but rust happens anyway. Radiator leaked maybe.

Anyway, for a given condition of car, there's still a premium applied for low mileage.

Most high miles 'rados rattle like *******s

Mine doesn't and it's on 202,000

All it took was replacing missing screws and clips and some strategic placement of foam / felt strips. Nothing VW didn't already do at the factory, in fact.

Yes, I love those MOT advisories you sometimes get saying "xxxxx rusting"

Shock! Horror! exposed metal on underside of 17-year old car rusting in British climate!!

Someone might buy it, worth a punt if he has the time to try the market.

With any car like this the enthusiasts who live and breath the cars know best, but to someone new to the cars and without and spanners they might just see it as 30,000miles and presume its twice as good as 60,000miles and think they have the best example because its the most expensive/lowest miles at the time

Of course we know better ;)

Yes, I love those MOT advisories you sometimes get saying "xxxxx rusting"

Shock! Horror! exposed metal on underside of 17-year old car rusting in British climate!!

the only rust on mine is on the original zorst and calipers due to lack of use..... :)

and my dashboard rattles even with a few bits of foam wedged in.... mines done C. 36K from new...

on a different note in general.... i do like these post that criticise the values of our cars.... it's one reason the corrado value has hit rock bottom and stayed their.

Edited by delfinis38

Some valid points been made in here.. Totally agree that on its own low mileage isn't enough, parts still need to be changed along the way, wear and tear isn't just movement related..

I do totally agree with the above point though lets stop talking the value of our cars down so much. Low mileage examples are bound to fetch a higher premium over a compatible car that has been to the moon and back..

if we all put the prices of our cars up, the value of corrados would go up, we just need to all co-operate at once (sellers that is)

See, the only people allowed to get together and artificially set prices for things are governments and oil companies. Individuals get taken to court if they do that..

Each car will have its own foibles. Most high miles 'rados rattle like *******s because VW didn't figure out how to design dashboards until another ten years after they came out.

Balls on that one.

Alarm fitting chimps closely followed by idiots who don't know how to fit head units are the reasons most Corrados rattle, the very early cars had extra foam blocks inserted in the space behind the centre console to furthur reduct noise.

I think the points to take away from this thread are:

Cars are worth what someone will pay for them.

Condition is king on an older vehicle.

This is also true. But balls on VW for not fitting decent bloody security themselves and forcing chimps to tear the car apart just so you get to keep the car for almost six months before it's nicked instead of losing it overnight.

Condition is king to the end user, of course, but a very tatty 30k mile Corrado can be turned into a pristine £10k Corrado by the right person. That same person can't make a 200k mile Corrado worth any more than £5k, no matter what they do ...

This is also true. But balls on VW for not fitting decent bloody security themselves and forcing chimps to tear the car apart just so you get to keep the car for almost six months before it's nicked instead of losing it overnight.

Condition is king to the end user, of course, but a very tatty 30k mile Corrado can be turned into a pristine £10k Corrado by the right person. That same person can't make a 200k mile Corrado worth any more than £5k, no matter what they do ...

Except for some clocking.. :)