ChrisL

Standard suspension

Would anyone know if you can still get standard suspension from vw or is it obsolete now? If so, how much do you think all 4 corners would be?

I have never heard of someone asking that one, i would imagine they wouldn't be cheap, and at the price they will be asking, you could get a tremendous set of coilovers, and just set them as high as they go, and there you go.

Ok i guess around £2500......

What about the struts ? Im presuming the chap who started this thread is starting with nothing........

The car is currently fitted with H&R coil overs and am thinking of going back 100% standard. Not sure what parts I would need, thought I could buy a complete setup like when buying coilovers.

These prices are kinda old, so no idea how accurate they are now...

Front shocks, approx £140 each

Front springs, (there's various types..) £60-£70 each

Front bump stops, £10 each

Front spring plates, £8-£14 each

Top mount, £18 each

Rear shocks, £100 each

Rear springs, £60 each

Bump stops, £16 each

Spring discs, £9 each

All prices are pretty old, and exclude VAT.

There's loads of minor components which I've left out..

If your going fully OEM then you would surely have to buy every part individually from the stealers, therefore my high guesstimate.....

However, surely going second hand, trying to find a serviceable set off someone would be the way to go if you were serious.....

I suppose I would consider second hand if I could get a set that is decent and could be made "as new".

Not decided what to do yet as I would need to sell the RS's to fund it. Seen lots of concours standard cars recently and it really appeals to me.

I've just bought Sachs gas struts from AVS for my VR6 restoration Chris. They ran me at about £45 each for the fronts. The springs, along with caps etc were shot blasted and powdercoated.

In addition I put them on the daily, along with a host of other new components a few weeks back and am very happy with the quality.

The only thing I could suggest is buying a higher spec strut set and having them refurbed to OE colours. Personally I wouldn't bother refurbing an original set as the seals/bushes will more than likely be shot by now.

All the best with whatever you decide.

Curious though, are you rolling the whole car back to OE ?

I have my standard set in the garage in case I ever wanted to put it back on but having removed 140k mile suspension, there is no way I'm putting it back.

Wonder if they can be stripped down and rebuilt?

Would anyone know if you can still get standard suspension from vw or is it obsolete now? If so, how much do you think all 4 corners would be?

Chris, I bought what was supposedly the last pair of rear dampers 3 years ago now along with the fronts which at the time were still available, as you know i have just gone completely standard again but always had the original springs anyway so just had them nylon coated.

James is right about refurbing an old set as the seals and stuff will probably be no good now approaching nearly 20 years old so if you cand get any new VAG ones something like bilstein B4 would be an excellent choice and just paint the rear ones red :)

I'll ask my TPS guy and ask on availability for you, yours is a 95 aint it?

After the dampers and springs come a LOT of other little bits which works out around another £200 on top of the dampers and springs so all in all it isn't a cheap project but if you want to go down this avenue then it's worth doing right in my opinion and not cutting corners using cheap ebay stuff like bushes & top mounts.

I have a list of all the other bits and part numbers for everything excluding the dampers & springs so once i've asked him i'll let you know.

Will report back soon ;)

Edited by KIPVW

Thanks for all the info guys.

I've just bought Sachs gas struts from AVS for my VR6 restoration Chris. They ran me at about £45 each for the fronts. The springs, along with caps etc were shot blasted and powdercoated.

In addition I put them on the daily, along with a host of other new components a few weeks back and am very happy with the quality.

The only thing I could suggest is buying a higher spec strut set and having them refurbed to OE colours. Personally I wouldn't bother refurbing an original set as the seals/bushes will more than likely be shot by now.

All the best with whatever you decide.

Curious though, are you rolling the whole car back to OE ?

Thanks James, If I decide to the car will be going back to 100% standard with a view to Concours level??? So dont mind alternative to OE parts as long as the ride height and appearnace would be correct. I dont have loads to change as the car only really has coilovers, wheels and all red rears. The electric recaros where fitted to Corrados as standard anyway.

Chris, I bought what was supposedly the last pair of rear dampers 3 years ago now along with the fronts which at the time were still available, as you know i have just gone completely standard again but always had the original springs anyway so just had them nylon coated.

James is right about refurbing an old set as the seals and stuff will probably be no good now approaching nearly 20 years old so if you cand get any new VAG ones something like bilstein B4 would be an excellent choice and just paint the rear ones red :)

I'll ask my TPS guy and ask on availability for you, yours is a 95 aint it?

After the dampers and springs come a LOT of other little bits which works out around another £200 on top of the dampers and springs so all in all it isn't a cheap project but if you want to go down this avenue then it's worth doing right in my opinion and not cutting corners using cheap ebay stuff like bushes & top mounts.

I have a list of all the other bits and part numbers for everything excluding the dampers & springs so once i've asked him i'll let you know.

Will report back soon ;)

That would be great thanks Paul. I know it wont be cheap but if I sold the RS's I would have plenty money to go at. Would the Bilstein B4 give standard appearance and height? Do Bilstein do the springs to? Mine is a 95.

Edited by ChrisL

Classic parts have the rear dampers - all the other stuff is still available. Not cheap though, and will take some time to put together as there were a few variations in the spring combos and the plus/standard suspension

all you need are a set of second hand springs to refurb, everything else can be bought as pattern parts and most of the spring plates, top mounts etc are widely used bits in the VW range so are still available from VW too. A set of quality aftermarket dampers should do the job fine, they might not last the 20 years the originals did, but they should work well with the factory springs.

I've a set of koni dampers (not adjustables) on my 8v with the factory springs and it rides lovely (painted them black insteas of the dark orange they came as), ride height is determined by the springs so as long as the dampers are up to the spring rates of the factory springs it should work fine.

As said only the springs alter the height, and if original fit dampers weren't available when I bought mine I'd have gone for the bilstein B4.s

Those prices don't look right to me. I'm sure rear shocks are about £50 a side, fronts £75 or so (or they were when I last looked). You'd be a fool to buy that stuff from VW though when you can get Sachs or Boge gas shocks (i.e. the exact same parts) for more like £120 the full set.

I'd go and buy some used struts from a breakers and replace the shocks with new if I were you. The springs *do* wear, but you're unlikely to notice any issues unless they've actually got fractures in them.

---------- Post added at 9:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:22 AM ----------

Edit: can't believe VW can "run out" of rear shocks for a Corrado.. ffs!

It's a common part with numerous other cars!

Think as long as they supplied for 10 years thats all they are required to do though now plus how many Corrado's do you know that want standard other than mine & judes cars :)

Edit: can't believe VW can "run out" of rear shocks for a Corrado.. ffs!

It's a common part with numerous other cars!

spring rates are different for front/rear of just about every VW and then many options on the same VW's, there must have been at least 5 or 6 different springs on the corrados, then VW have springs matched to dampers, so technically the 'correct' dampers for a corrado may be quite a model specific item, but the reality is that a generic golf part will do, and in some cases a slightly uprated damper might feel better to us than the original spec VW item, very true on the mk4 golf for instance, most of them were under-damped IMO.

Think as long as they supplied for 10 years thats all they are required to do though now plus how many Corrado's do you know that want standard other than mine & judes cars :)

Exactly. Most people bin the standard suspension because of the silly ride height, so therefore VW are getting no demand for standard dampers / springs, so why on earth would they still stock them? :D

Exactly. Most people bin the standard suspension because of the silly ride height, so therefore VW are getting no demand for standard dampers / springs, so why on earth would they still stock them? :D

Amen, and thats also why folk who buy stuff from Euro car parts and GSF are actually making parts obsolete due to lack of demand from VW, but thats another story :)

Right then,

Fronts are still available £67 +VAT Part number 535 413 031C

Spring to suit, £55 +VAT Part Number 357 411 105AF

Rears showing damper obsolete but probably still available from classic parts,

Dampers £51 + VAT Part Number 1H0 513 031F

Spring to suit £53 +VAT Part Number 1H55 1111 5K

These parts were for my own chassis so could be slightly different for yours but think it'd be the same.

Happy to get these ordered for you too mate from my TPS man then you could pay him over the phone with your own card :)

As David Wort suggests though you could get some used springs and have them refurbed but be sure to get the right spring codes as there are 4 or 5 different spring rates too.

Kip ;)

Edited by KIPVW

Very good point regarding the spring rates. Mine has always appeared lower (If I'm permitted to use that word in conjunction with standard suspension).

And obviously the springs will sag the older they get.

I can't remember with whom I had the conversation, but the story went something like the later VR6 cars had taller springs ( and a 50mm spoiler) to combat chin rub.

Certainly on ETKA or Bentley (can't remember) there's a whole host of colour dot combinations.

Well if I wasn't confused on what to do, I certainly am now lol!!!

I thought I would be able to go to a shop and buy a standard assembly that would replace the coilovers fitted.

Checked out the Bilstien B4 and they look good, but now there is the spring type issue etc etc.....

Sorry Chris, I wasn't attempting to confuse. Just inform.

On a side note, have you driven a Corrado with stock as a rock suspension ?

Whilst I and a host of others rate it. Not everyone else does.

Sorry Chris, I wasn't attempting to confuse. Just inform.

On a side note, have you driven a Corrado with stock as a rock suspension ?

Whilst I and a host of others rate it. Not everyone else does.

Only joking James, would probably be less confusing when / if I go down the standard route and start getting parts.

I've only driven a standard VR once, I nearly bought one in 1999 but being 24 with a house, I couldnt afford the 11k price tag. So being that long go I can't really remember.

I guess you are keeping the campaign standard? I just can't decide, I think it's because if I sell the RS's I wouldn't be able to get another set.

No worries. Personally the look of your car rocks my world and the RS wheels are the bomb. But there's more and more owners rolling into the factory look. I like both looks so it's all good. All personal taste and only you can make that decision. But do it for yourself.

The Campaign is getting pure OE love. Mainly because of what it is. Thing is I have more than a taste for body colour split rims ! Think I'll concentrate on getting it finished first, then look at different rolling stock.

Certainly try and get a ride in a standard car though.