abv79

3.0 vr6 rebuilt engine bhp ?????

hi there... ive just had my corrado motor rebuilt to 3.0 litre. the bottom end is fully forged with knive edge crank... the head has been fully rebuilt but standard what bhp should i expect from this ??? will be looking into cnc head and big valves and cams in the future.......

A forged knife edged crank on its own wont increase bhp !

But it will make the engine rev quicker,

I hope you've had the bottom end balanced ?

hi .. i was hoping for a bit more than that?? i know the head will let it down a tad... the throttle pot has been polished and ported. im also running findanza flywheel and neuspeed pully set.. i have the software chip for this but will get a stand alone ecu at some point

---------- Post added at 4:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:18 PM ----------

hi dragon green.. the crank is the standard crank which has been machined down roughly 5kg been shaved off it . its been fully balanced.. the rods are eagle h section and je pistons

Agree with Tom- prob around 205 bhp. Flowed head and cams should give you 230 bhp ish I would think. Lightened flywheel/pulleys etc won't increase bhp as mentioned earlier, but may make it marginally quicker. Get yourself a 3.68 final drive ;)

the engine is still on the engine stand just ready for my gearbox coming back if i can find out about the lateral movement on the cv cups.... i will put the motor in my golf and use it for a while ... over winter i will find another head and start on that... i will send it to cnc heads for work and bigger valves... what cams do u think ?? 262??

any brand of cams ?? ??? i might changes these then before i put the motor in my mk2 .. i didnt build the motor myself but i do have the bentley bible!!!! so i would do the cams myself .. i really would like 220bhp ..... i will try some miller nanodrive oil and maybe some race fuel :)

---------- Post added at 7:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:17 PM ----------

schimmel cams i will get some ordered

The most power I've seen from a 12V normally aspirated VR6 is ~ 250hp, and that engine used a super rare ABT stroker crank to take the capacity out to 3.1 litre. It had everything. Big valve head, cams, VGI intake etc etc, the lot! Forced induction is the only way to get decent hp from a 12V :D

i didnt want to turbo this engine i just wanted something i can play out in on a sunday if i get the day off work... i know the vr is some what dated now but i just love the sound and wanted relibility for the road... i have another project on the go at the minute purely for track days cant wait till its finish its gonna be quick :thumbleft:

For easy, accessible normally aspirated power, an R32 conversion is the way to go. Just make sure you get everything from the same donor car and you'll be fine!

If you want power from a 12V, forced induction is the only way but if you want it reliable, it'll cost you!!

Realistically, you've increased the cc from 2.9 to 3.0 - ~3.5% capacity increase. It would be fair to expect the same increase in power and torque, everything else being the same which equates to about another 6hp. So not even through the 200hp barrier really unless you have a good base engine.

What about the Grant motorsport VR6 N/a engines which were circa 350bhp? Does anyone know what they had done to them?

350hp!! 250 you mean? :D Big valve heads and cams IIRC. Anything is possible with the right amount of cash but revving it past 7000 might also make more power with the right cams.

Nope, 350bhp.. Well 348bhp.

Apparently it was a race prepared engine which revved to 9,000rpm and was in his Vento race car. Or so I've heard through the grapevine.

For easy, accessible normally aspirated power, an R32 conversion is the way to go. Just make sure you get everything from the same donor car and you'll be fine!

If you want power from a 12V, forced induction is the only way but if you want it reliable, it'll cost you!!

Disagree, ITB's?

No torque below 4000rpm isn't 'accessible' power imo and ITBs on the VR6 is neither cheap or easy to implement. They would certainly help push the power past 250 though.

i will run the motor in as it is for now if its 205bhp then its 205 bhp... ive spent enough at the moment on this engine lol.... but i do want some 263 sp cams @ some point. ive always wanted a turbo vr but spending that much money on an old engine seem pointless.... so im thinking ttrs engine...

The most power I've seen from a 12V normally aspirated VR6 is ~ 250hp, and that engine used a super rare ABT stroker crank to take the capacity out to 3.1 litre. It had everything. Big valve head, cams, VGI intake etc etc, the lot! Forced induction is the only way to get decent hp from a 12V :D

Hey Kevin think that's my ABT Corrado your referring to! It was a mykoo motorsport demo car as they were importers for abt in the 90's. Even featured in max power you know! :-0 I got the car in 2002 Still have the car. Sadly after much use the engine let go and I regret selling the stroked crank although i did get good money for it. The car was getting 12.40 quarter mile on 100 shot of nitrous at inters one year. Had it off the road for several years however she lives again. It's now supercharged with nos so 310bhp + 100 nitrous. I still have the ABT 288 /272 cams that I am undecided whether to sell of keep!