P3rks

Carbon Fibre/Kevlar Parts - Spoilers, splitters, engine covers, rocker covers etc

Hello Everyone,

I'm just testing the water here... I have a contact who is able to reproduce more or less any part in genuine Carbon Fibre, Kevlar or even reproduce parts in fibre glass/GRP.

I was thinking along the lines of the rear spoiler, front splitter, strut caps, bonnets, wings, engine covers etc. Basically any panel or piece of trim. I know that we have a forum member from the USA who can produce these but in all honesty I feel having these made on home soil saves us delivery and import taxes.

The prices I have briefly discussed with my contact would be roughly:

Rear spoiler - £200

Extended rear spoiler - £250

VR6 engine cover (smooth, no DOHC/VR6 script) - £50

Strut Caps - £50 a pair

These prices are based on a group buy of 5 people using Carbon Fibre. I feel these are realistic prices.

Parts will be made out of layered pure Carbon Fibre and not just skinned products. I.e we use a genuine product which has been worked to achieve a desired gloss, a mould is then created from the genuine part and then the final product is made from layered Carbon fibre using the mould. They will be finished in a high gloss.

Alternatively if you desire a part made in carbon/kevlar not listed, just ask and I'll see what I can do.

Please express any interest or thoughts. :thumbleft:

Would you be better off making parts that as yet are no longer available ?

The late centre consul, getting rare to find a good one !

Carbon fibre splitter ! It would shatter at the first obstacle !

Glass fibre wings would be a good seller

Just my 2p

Rich if your mate can make:

A bonnet(kevlar)

A spoiler(kevlar)

& wings(GF) or any of the above I would love a price.

Would you be better off making parts that as yet are no longer available ?

The late centre consul, getting rare to find a good one !

Carbon fibre splitter ! It would shatter at the first obstacle !

Glass fibre wings would be a good seller

Just my 2p

Funny you should say that, I just removed my centre console tonight and I thought exactly the same thing. It won't be that cheap to reproduce though. It's intricate and delicate. I'd need an example as close to perfect to mould from, which as you know is almost impossible to find and I can almost guarantee that the original will get damaged in the process too. Then replicating the texture might be a ball ache too. Honestly, the first one off the mould/prototype will probably cost well over £350 to make. Then each one after that will cost well over £100 to reproduce I'd say. I will look into it, but I don't think it'll be cost effective.

I don't think a carbon fibre splitter will shatter as such, break or snap maybe, but it won't shatter. Believe it or not carbon fibre can be bent to a certain degree. I think the bumper will break before the splitter did in all honesty. It would however scuff.

Late wings or early wings?

Rich if your mate can make:

A bonnet(kevlar)

A spoiler(kevlar)

& wings(GF) or any of the above I would love a price.

I'll get on it.

I did discuss a bonnet with him as I will eventually want a carbon one for my car. He mentioned using a Carbon Fibre bonnet with Kevlar layers to strengthen it, so I know it can be done.

Any reason you want Kevlar over carbon?

Also, late bonnet and wings or early?

I would be interested in carbon rear spoiler

Standard size?

You're going to need some kind of prototype to demonstrate fit and finish quality to really get people interested....

Yeah, I thought this too. I'll be getting a rear wing done and fitted to my car before I take any serious orders. I'll be giving him the thumbs up in the next few weeks so the product can be seen. :thumbleft:

It shouldn't take more than a few weeks once the original part is ready for the mould. I just thought I'd test the water and see what people would want, then I can be looking out for good condition original parts to mould from.

Edited by P3rks

Carbon fibre, must resist. But Kevlar front wings would be great, strong and have a large amount of flex if impacted, no more dents.

I would have to agree with mr foster, would like to see some type of proto type before I commit. Having had quite a lot of experience with carbon/Kevlar, and know what is involved in producing quality parts, it would be nice to know a bit more. Are the parts going to be wet lay, resin infusion, or pre preg carbon. And what about the moulds, are they going to be a splash pulled of a donor part, or proper pattern/moulds ?

Ark at you ? !! :-)

Good thing though, that you know your stuff, will be more helpful toeveryone in the long run.

Carbon fibre, must resist. But Kevlar front wings would be great, strong and have a large amount of flex if impacted, no more dents.

I would have to agree with mr foster, would like to see some type of proto type before I commit. Having had quite a lot of experience with carbon/Kevlar, and know what is involved in producing quality parts, it would be nice to know a bit more. Are the parts going to be wet lay, resin infusion, or pre preg carbon. And what about the moulds, are they going to be a splash pulled of a donor part, or proper pattern/moulds ?

I did discuss a bonnet with him as I will eventually want a carbon one for my car. He mentioned using a Carbon Fibre bonnet with Kevlar layers to strengthen it, so I know it can be done.

Late wings and bonnet please.... I fancy kevlar because its a change & I can talk about it in the pub :lol:. If its loads more expensive then CF would be ace too :D I have a spoiler going spare if you would like to borrow it?

Honestly, I can't give you an answer on those questions, I'll have to ask. I'm no expert in this field so don't want to get the facts wrong.

He mainly does motorbike parts and has been doing them for years, I've seen the quality and they are very good. As far as I'm aware he requires a good original part to mould from. The original part has to be prepped before mould and has to be as glossy as possible apparently otherwise the mould could contain errors which'll show in the final product. He said he spends days and days prepping the originals before he moulds from them.

But I will ask the questions and let you know. It's nice to have someone like you interested so we know that they are bring done properly.

Late wings and bonnet please.... I fancy kevlar because its a change & I can talk about it in the pub :lol:. If its loads more expensive then CF would be ace too :D I have a spoiler going spare if you would like to borrow it?

No problem.

What's the condition of the spoiler? I have a spoiler but it's covered in gouges so it'll need prepping first.

having seen a million carbon feeler threads on here over the years and not remembering one that's materialised i will firstly say the very best of luck to you!

front wings was the closest to having the numbers needed and would definitely be good business if you can get the made. Late wings without indicator holes has always had very good interest, but you need to get the guy to make a sample, which is the hard part without stumping up cash.

if you can get it done and the prices are right you're onto a winner.

Funny you should say that, I just removed my centre console tonight and I thought exactly the same thing. It won't be that cheap to reproduce though. It's intricate and delicate. I'd need an example as close to perfect to mould from, which as you know is almost impossible to find and I can almost guarantee that the original will get damaged in the process too. Then replicating the texture might be a ball ache too. Honestly, the first one off the mould/prototype will probably cost well over £350 to make. Then each one after that will cost well over £100 to reproduce I'd say. I will look into it, but I don't think it'll be cost effective.

I don't think a carbon fibre splitter will shatter as such, break or snap maybe, but it won't shatter. Believe it or not carbon fibre can be bent to a certain degree. I think the bumper will break before the splitter did in all honesty. It would however scuff.

Late wings or early wings?

I'll get on it.

Also, late bonnet and wings or early?

Standard size?

Yeah, I thought this too. I'll be getting a rear wing done and fitted to my car before I take any serious orders. I'll be giving him the thumbs up in the next few weeks so the product can be seen. :thumbleft:

It shouldn't take more than a few weeks once the original part is ready for the mould. I just thought I'd test the water and see what people would want, then I can be looking out for good condition original parts to mould from.

When you get the rear wing done for your car will decide then need to see what quality is like if not right will pay that bit extra and get a spoonfed one :cheers:

having seen a million carbon feeler threads on here over the years and not remembering one that's materialised i will firstly say the very best of luck to you!

front wings was the closest to having the numbers needed and would definitely be good business if you can get the made. Late wings without indicator holes has always had very good interest, but you need to get the guy to make a sample, which is the hard part without stumping up cash.

if you can get it done and the prices are right you're onto a winner.

Yep, this is the issue and the downfall when it comes to group buys using carbon fibre. The problem is the prototype, sample or first one off the mould. You need to have a almost perfect original to use, that original has to be prepared, then a mould has to be made. This work alone can cost £100's and £100's, never mind getting the first product out of it.

I was planning on fronting the costs and the reason I want to start with the smaller, easily made (read cheaper to produce) parts such as the spoiler.

I'd be up for a pair of late wings.

Noted

Late wings that are flared?

I'm unsure, it all depends on what the majority wants. They will 100% be late wings and they will 100% not have a lip on the inside to maximise wheel clearance. But personally I would want to retain a standard shape wing. A slight pull or flare could be possible as long as the original shape is kept. But it's not for me to say, I will have made what the majority want. Before I start making them I will get a vote.

When you get the rear wing done for your car will decide then need to see what quality is like if not right will pay that bit extra and get a spoonfed one :cheers:

Totally agree with you. I'm not one for cutting corners and if it wasn't right I would not be going forward with it. I'd rather pay a little more and have better quality. But if I can pay less and still have better quality its a win win.

I would love to know the prices of late bonnets and late wings. Although the timing for myself isn't great, I really do need a new bonnet!

Right everyone..

Thanks for the interest. I'm now in the process of discussing prices and trying to gather some good originals. I'll update this thread asap.