Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Rover 200 Turbo!

Well that is one car to watch out for. It looks like a normal Rover, only this one was badly body kitted and had the worst spoiler on it i've ever seen.. but by heck they don't half shift!

I thought my Corrado was down on power or something until I checked the stats for one on parkers and saw it is a 200BHP car as standard!

But the good news is... he didn't beat me. I guess this is where torque comes in quite important over BHP as considering we had such similar BHP figures (and I had a passenger too) he kept up to about 100MPH and then after that I pulled a nice lead (about 4 or 5 car lengths) and he was still reeeeallly trying.. but I didn't feel like thrashing the car THAT much and settled down to do some steady driving for a bit!! Point made! :)

jim you talking about the coupe ones? i was having a laugh in my car with my mate whos got a golf vr6. when we pulled up at the lights one of these rovers pulled up next to us, looked round at our cars and booted it round the roundabout-until we all stood togethr at the next lights, didnt see him again after the lights went green :) :) good ol' vws 8)

I'm pretty sire one of them tried it on with me once and he couldn't catch me. Let him draw level then booted it and got about 4-5 cars on him then had to slow down for a foundabout. Did the same at the next one only let him edge ahead and made my point :lol: made me chuckle 8)

Stel,

No - this is the weird thing, it wasn't a coupe. It looked like a regular Rover 200 (pic attached) except this one was heavily body kitted, and most definately turbo charged as I could hear it whistling when he was alongside me and I floored it in the wrong gear... still, as it was 4th and I was only doing 50 at the time it meant I could go the whole way through 4th and as I was getting into the power he was starting to struggle :)

As I say, checked out the parkers guide and they did a 200 and a 220 turbo one of these.. though I suspect the turbo's look a little nicer than the standard 200's!

Odd - no mention of a 200 Turbo like that shape on the Autotrader that isn't a coupe / 'Tomcat' version.

I definately didn't imagine it!! :)

Ahhh... this could have been it. Rover 420 GSI Sport Turbo.. again, 200BHP, 0-60 in 7 seconds :shock: (from a Rover!) - looks pretty similar to the 200 - couldn't really tell under the tonne of fibreglass and plastic wrapped around the thing.

There was a 220 gsi turbo in hatchback, though only in limited numbers. I was actually going to see one when I came across my first C (i owned a 216gti at the time) but the group 17 insurance of the rover put me off. I thought the corrado 16v was a group 15 at the time so bought that. 8)

yip as Joe M says they do exist....albeit in very limited numbers........

200 turbo coupe

200 Gti turbo 3dr hatch

400 Gsi turbo 4-dr saloon

There's also a Rover 600 with similar spec.

The ti I think it was called.Pretty much a sleeper there too-looked like a standard 600 with smarter alloys.

No - he definately kept up for a pretty good distance. There aint no way he'd keep up with my G60 if he didn't have something half serious under his bonnet!

Dont mock the rover turbo's they are seriously quick cars, they dont handle as well as corrados nor are they as stable but one running well will see off a g60 at most speeds, the hatchback turbos are quite rare but are meant to handle better than coupes cos the coupes have the targa roof, what colour was the one you saw jim, might be someone from the rover forums.

It was black and it had a whopping great spoiler on the back - could have easily been detatched and used as a standalone picnic table!

I was looking for some forums to see if I could find out about this guy and see if he posted about our little encounter :)

Got any forums I can look at?