Erallus

VR6 Engine - How many miles before a rebuild?

Hello

I'm looking at a number of Vr6's at the moment, and I'm wondering how many miles they generally do before they need a proper strip down and rebuild? (would depend on how well its been looked after I suppose)

From my searching it seems about 130k's the number? :scratch:

Cheers

You can't put a number on it, in my opinion.

Some will need doing after 60k, others will run 200k+ without even a rattle.

All you can do is rely on history and research what to listen/check for when you're viewing them. Chains/tensioner are usually the biggest single expense so try and get a car with a history of them being done. But again, it's not paramount.

I think it would be silly to dismiss a car simply because it had 130k miles on the clock.

As above , like you said it all depends how its been treated , the vr is a strong engine , as above again 130k is nothing really .

Mine is on 194,000miles now and the engine is about the only bit that hasn't needed any work. Just done timing chains and the tensioners were quite worn, but engine still ran ok.

I bought mine on 130k and have all the old history and its only had a new injector and crank sensor

Mine needed a new head gasket after just 15k with the first owner but a friend with a vr6 has 230k and no work done, although it's now in storage with a rebuild likely.

Look after your car and car will look after your pennies, kinda. ;-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers all,

very helpful. I'll be researching what the signs of wear are I think, as I'm likely to get over excited and buy the first one I see, having waited nearly seven years before finally giving in and deciding to get one

Cheers all,

very helpful. I'll be researching what the signs of wear are I think, as I'm likely to get over excited and buy the first one I see, having waited nearly seven years before finally giving in and deciding to get one

Got a nice Flash Red one for sale down the M5 from you if interested?

Ian.

Check what the exhaust gases are like. Shouldn't be too rich/petrol smelling. Shouldn't be blue/smokey.

Don't be afraid to get some of the spark plugs out, especially 1 & 6. Dead easy to find on Google what knackered spark plugs look like.

Get it coasting downhill and lift off the gas - plumes of smoke out the back are usually a bad sign! :)

Lol, I can just see a private seller's face when you turn up with VAG-COM, spark plug tools, trolley jack, compression tester etc etc. Spend an hour checking things and then say, "Nah, I'll pass thanks" :lol:

Despite good fsh and receipts from previous owners and looked after for everything since I've had her from 96k mine needed a rebuild at 143k as it was starting to go through a couple of litres of oil every 1000 miles. As said above, confirmed by blue smoke on lift off and also spark plugs on 1 & 6 were covered in oil as they're generally the ones that go first due to bore ovalisation.

Rebuild well worth it though!

Edited by pbradley98

Got a nice Flash Red one for sale down the M5 from you if interested?

Ian.

Looks like a nice example, must admit I noticed it. Just sorting out a garage for one at the moment. Waiting on the council, been a week already... : S

---------- Post added at 1:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:19 PM ----------

Good advice though, cheers all

with the cost of converting to R32 becoming more accessible vs a thorough rebuild of the old VR block it may be a more cost effective option?

The vr6 engine was originally designed to be a diesel engine which is why they tend to go on and on and easily cope with the extra pressure's of a turbo or supercharger strapped to them but like any engine good service is always a help.