vornwend

CCGB Membership Fee Discussion Now Here: http://www.corradoclub.org/

Valid point in both directions..

I, like most will be happy to pay more..

Lets not have a price increase make the club unattractive to new/previous members, lets invest money (flags/gazeebos/chromed Corrado rear badges) and get more people involved..

How about a ten pound membership price with the option of a donation on top (2 quid, fiver etc)..

I, like most others think the mag is essential. The feedback seen on the sprinter thread shows that receiving the sprinter through the letterbox is what its about. We all need to contribute, its really not that difficult to email some words with a few pictures, after all most of us have a members thread on here which is much the same thing but in stages..

RW1 Agree we need a sensible level of reserves

Agree the committee members should not have to pay from their own pocket ever - and at the moment we are a long way from that

At the current fee level the reserves represent almost 3 years worth of membership fees

At the proposed level of £15 reserves are still almost 2 years of membership fees

I'd suggest a more appropriate level is c9 - 12 months - so around £2,000 max - allows plenty of time for fees to come in and no danger that any commitments cannot be honoured. That would free up c£4,000 to invest over an above the normal level. By way of context the 20th anniversary in 2008 cost the club £1,100 so even if we had to pay for that a year in advance there would be no danger of running out of cash

As far as I can tell membership numbers have been dropping by c20% every year for the last 3 years - the pressing need is to encourage more members to join and stop more leaving - it seems unlikely that putting the fees up and maintaining £6,000 in the bank is going to help achieve that?

I think we need to spend our reserves so they get down to a reasonable level and set the annual fee to cover annual costs on an on-going basis. Since the membership is in rapid decline in makes sense to try and spend any money we have spare on making the club more attractive to new members otherwise it will be a downward spiral from which we won't easily recover. Also worth remembering that its always better business sense to keep a customer than have to find new ones.

I like Jame's idea of spending the surplus over a defined period of time - that's what charities who have built up surpluses are usually asked to do. I also like Michael's chrome badge idea. The priority should be to look for things which makes membership more attractive. Having been a member for donkeys years I'm not at all familiar with the membership pack that people now get or how we sell it to prospective members but I'd be happy to work with a committee member(s) to help shape it up.

First off i think £15 is acceptable provided we get something for that, I think to get more people on board we need to have more sprinter magazines throughout the year, maybe 2/3 i for one have been saying for a while that i need to put something together for a sprinter issue and have never got round to it and too many people have been saying the same by the looks of it. Jim has done a great job putting together the latest one but as he has said many times theres not enough story's being emailed to him so he is limited by the lack of input really. Im sure if we all pushed eachother into writing stuff/helpful advise for the newbies then we would get more items to be included into the magazine. Ive just been looking at the sciroccoregister and what they are offering their members

"For £15 per year subscription to the Scirocco Register offers:

- Club discounts with vehicle parts suppliers and tuners

- Club discounts with vehicle insurers

- Selected Hotel and Airport parking discounts

- Discounts on roadside recovery

- A club magazine 3 times per year

- Monthly email bulletins

- Contact with other subscription members across the UK"

I think more emphasis needs to be put on the offering of discounts on parts/insurers etc that has got to pull in more interest from the corrado owners aswell.

The other thing is aswell is that we have got to expect the numbers to decline as you see every week a corrado being broken for spares or written off.

Just got my copy of the sprinter, the one bit of post the rabbit didn't eat unlike my tax disc! Looking forward to castle combe nice one Eric.

I definitely think the club needs a bit more presence at shows and a few extras won't hurt, how much would a ccgb flag cost to buy for myself ? I go to different shows with family and friends and we all hoist an assortment of flags they all get noticed and one more club flag can't hurt.

End of the day all members need to get involved with shows even if it's just a few of us meeting up for a chin wag and a brew.

You only get out of it what you put in and I wouldn't wait for the ccgb committee to decide what shows you do and don't go to as they can't physically arrange for us to all meet at every single one

After speaking with Andy and Eric I arranged for 5 of us to meet at the vw/Audi track day at castle combe earlier in the year didn't take much arranging and got plenty of attention when at the show.

If there is four hundred current members I'm guessing not all of them are going to many shows if at all ,it takes active participation and the more people at events there are the more likely new members or potential ones are going to want to be part of the club.

Regarding the membership fee again I have no problem paying a little extra and think it would be worth it but also think a little investment is needed too but believe that shiny banners and flags are only part of the solution and a little more of current members time needs to be invested to hopefully crank things up a little.

I wont renew at £15, Ive not attended any events so even a tenner a year for a mag that's not that interesting can feel a bit much

Not trying to sound bitter (honestly) but I'd be interested to know what you would like to see in the club magazine that would make it worth your money? It's impossible to come up with new ideas if I can't get specific feedback or features that you'd like to see.. that would at least give me something to work with.

Edited by Jim

Jim, i think you have done a great job with the magazine.

All it needs is a members motor in each one (the more varied the better) and more technical how to s...

In my opinion you could not have an events manager who tries harder to put things on for the Corrado Club

But if people are rarely attending the events, shows, local meets who is the Club to try to promote further to and this costs quite serious money ?

It is left to the same people all of the time to try and create different events, publicity, produce the Sprinter, buy/sell merchandise and on and on.

And all voluntarily and in their own free time.

People are often wanting more and more from the Club and whilst appreciating suggestions for the Club, which is all good, more people are required to assist and make some of these things happen.

Jim has wanted to retire from the Sprinter Editor role for a few years now, but no - one has stepped up and he continues to do it, even though the job is made harder still for him as he fights to get editorial content.

Apart from Committee members and a few regular others - does anyone else ever offer to stand at a Club Event and try to sell the Club.

It is not possible to have this all ways - one such example - Big National Days - they cost money. Larger, glossier Sprinters etc etc .

I do feel this is a good Club and more interested parties of taking the Club forward would be great, hopefully there will be many more volunteers in the future.

I am sure everyone on the committee will be grateful for this and No, I am not one of the them, but I am in business and the Club does have to ran as such.

As for the people on here on the one hand saying they themselves really would not mind paying an extra £5.00, but then putting an arguement against it !!

Having been a member for donkeys years I'm not at all familiar with the membership pack that people now get or how we sell it to prospective members but I'd be happy to work with a committee member(s) to help shape it up.

Vaughan, have a look here http://www.corradoclub.org/ccgb16/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&Itemid=208

The pack is excellent! You get a folder, Sprinter, Sticker, Tax Disc Holder, New Member Letter & Card. I've got several if you want to pop over and have a look!

I agree that the magazine is the main selling point. Jim does an amazing job with the Sprinter, considering the little he has to work with. How about a Reader's Rides section like Michael suggested above? Would be really simple- pic + spec list + an optional sentence or two. Quick and easy for members to send in + would make a good read. It would take the same amount of time as posting in the Gallery thread on here...

I'm all for paying £15. Postage costs alone are getting crazy- 3X first class stamps for a New Member's pack. £15 is nothing really. Most other car clubs are £20+.

I agree we also need to run the balance down a bit further- some good ideas have already been mentioned (gazebo etc).

Current membership is around 270 from memory.

- some good ideas have already been mentioned (gazebo etc).

"I have a CCGB gazebo and chairs here that I could do with passing onto someone!"

They are with Helen in the Wirral. We've had them for years. Helen was just asking back 3 weeks ago!

Helen was supposed to be contacting Paul Kip from two weeks ago, but I guess Christmas and European day trips has her busy.

Vaughan, have a look here http://www.corradoclub.org/ccgb16/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&Itemid=208

The pack is excellent! You get a folder, Sprinter, Sticker, Tax Disc Holder, New Member Letter & Card. I've got several if you want to pop over and have a look!

I agree that the magazine is the main selling point. Jim does an amazing job with the Sprinter, considering the little he has to work with. How about a Reader's Rides section like Michael suggested above? Would be really simple- pic + spec list + an optional sentence or two. Quick and easy for members to send in + would make a good read. It would take the same amount of time as posting in the Gallery thread on here...

I'm all for paying £15. Postage costs alone are getting crazy- 3X first class stamps for a New Member's pack. £15 is nothing really. Most other car clubs are £20+.

I agree we also need to run the balance down a bit further- some good ideas have already been mentioned (gazebo etc).

Current membership is around 270 from memory.

Pack looks very good! Lets brain storm some more ideas at the pub on Saturday

If 270 is correct then we've lost 1/3 rd of the membership in a little over 2 and a half years. If the club is to have a viable future that rate of decline needs to be slowed or reversed or activities will inevitably have to be scaled back.

Hopefully enough people have been stirred enough to contribute some more articles for the Sprinter as I'm sure that would be a big selling point. Jim has done a brilliant job but we need a regular flow of articles folks! Looking back at old editions I did like the technical items and how to s. Given the age of our venerable fleet there may be some merit in a series of articles on how to preserve them and tips for storing over winter?

Vaughan, a 1/3rd drop in the current climate and given the number of Corrados that have been scrapped in the same period that is quite a good figure. The last shows I attended over the last couple of years have all seen reduced visitor numbers, with the exception of the classic car show, BVF have even called it a day and closed.

The Sprinter is not out as often as we would like, mostly due to a lack of content, that is a vicious circle, no mag and folks won't produce content, etc. This would need a higher operating level to achieve this.

James, completely agree on the Gazebo front, the Classic car show at the NEC really highlighted the presence that a logo Gazebo would bring, the advantage something like that would bring from my perspective is a professional presence, the top end ones are designed for rally teams to use so are weather and wind proof to a very good degree. I will be submitting a costing at the age for this to be voted on given the high cost.

If nothing else this thread has at least advertised the club and I for one am now tempted to join where as haven't really thought about it before! Will be an easy annual birthday or christmas present!

Also would it be worth putting a sticky in the new members area to advertise the CCGB with website details, benefits, costs etc?

Cheers

Phil

If nothing else this thread has at least advertised the club

If nothing else it has highlighted the number of CCGB members who use this forum for conducting CCGB business and don't contribute financially here. Interesting to me anyway seeing as the discussion is of a financial nature anyway.

Also would it be worth putting a sticky in the new members area to advertise the CCGB with website details, benefits, costs etc?

The idea is coming from a good place. It won't happen (as things stand) though unfortunately.

CCGB guys, I'm sure you won't take me too seriously. It's Christmas and we all love a good panto storyline after all ;)

How about the club advertising on here, with a financial contribution to the forum?

Forum gets money, club gets members, win win all round...

I absolutely agree. Something like that has been bandied around for years. As much as I joke and poke fun at the 'conflict' between the two, I think it's a genuine shame there can't be a significant amalgamation of resources.

So do i, there is a captive audience on here and a club with funds they want to use to expand membership...It seems obvious and i hope that with some thought it could be done..

How about the club advertising on here, with a financial contribution to the forum?

Forum gets money, club gets members, win win all round...

iam bemused now!! does the club not run the forum?

god iam way offside with all this, newbie is a good description of myself me thinx

cheers " daft " paul

This forum, and the Corrado Club of GB are seperate entities. However with the Corrado community being so small, all of the committee and large amounts of members are (regular) Corrado Forum users.

I do agree the CCGB should pay a donation towards the forum of some kind as we benefit from it being here as it enables us to reach our members easier. Something else to talk about at the AGM perhaps. If we could set something up formally, and possibly get some kind of banner advert out of it - I don't know. Would really depend on:

a) How much Andi would want for something like that

b) Whether members would vote yes for something like that

iam bemused now!! does the club not run the forum?

god iam way offside with all this, newbie is a good description of myself me thinx

cheers " daft " paul

Don't worry about it Paul, I guess it's easy to forget that most people aren't aware of the history.

Very short version, this forum sort of spawned from the CCGB as a, dare I say, more modern medium for Corrado discussion and online community. The CCGB is more about arranging events, meetings etc, whereas this forum tends to be more of an online platform.

Money raised by this forum goes towards server/hosting costs. Money raised by the CCGB goes into more of an official club and is used for shows, merchandising etc.

Simply saying both platforms complement each other. I always assumed that it is natural that you want to be part of the-corrado.net forums and at the same time join CCGB club. This way you get best of both worlds. There are a lot people out there (I hope) paying CCGB membership and also donating to the-corrado forum.

To put it even more simply if I have to buy ISV from ebay for £50 (that's of unknown origin). I can buy it over here for £20, then donate £5 to forum and also pay my membership for CCGB, and I have a working ISV and some moneys left. win-win. You just can't go wrong.

A partnership of sorts does seem to make a lot of sense.

How about a contribution based on say £1.50 for each CCGB member towards the cost of running this Forum?

So I think we have 4 emerging and somewhat connected themes to consider:

1) Increase CCGB Membership Fee to £15 (possibly staggered) - generating an extra say £1,250 (assuming say 250 members)

2) Annual CCGB contribution to Corrado Forum - c£375 - to be renewed on annual basis - subject to Andi agreeing?

3) All weather Gazebo c£1500 (subject to Yans costing)

4) Purchase 15 Bentley Manuals for hire by club members c£750

All other things being equal that would deplete the CCGB reserves by around 25% - so leaving £4,500 in the kitty. On an ongoing basis it would balance income and expenditure with the chance to pull in some more members and income and do even more as funds permit.

We could ask for a vote on the fee increase on the basis that if its passed then the rest of the suggestions will be deemed to have been approved?

If the fee increase is rejected then we could still take a vote on the individual ideas for spending the reserves on a case by case basis

Thoughts?

I can't speak for Andi obviously but I think that sounds like a very sensible approach for at least putting to the vote, subject to what Andi thinks.

I seriously think that with some CCGB branding/logos/URL's on here, the CCGB memberships would increase quite a bit.

A sort of alternative would be to remunerate the forum based specifically on new members it introduces (could be done using using the re-directed URL no doubt), rather than a blanket contribution for every (existing) CCGB member. However I think it is reasonable to say a larger chunk of membership fees would be fair. But that should be a win/win scenario as the CCGB is getting new members it wouldn't ordinarily have had.

I think it will need to be carefully managed though. Donations from CCGB to here must be where it stops, otherwise you run the risk of this forum offering almost everything that CCGB offers for free, and diminishing memberships further. They need to remain completely separate entities imo. I know thats what is being suggested, but in 2,3,5 years time, things may change, and the club would be up the creak so to speak.

You say that but I don't think the forum has any ambition of forming more of a formal paid-up membership base. Otherwise, surely we would have already done so before now?

Likewise, the CCGB has a forum already but, with all due respect, it's sort of reinventing the wheel now that this forum is so well established.

A lot of Mods on here are CCGB members and a lot of CCGB members actively use this forum.