Hofmiester

Ron's Blackberry VR6 - A11 VRX - Getting her back on the road

Looking good on rh buddy and bay lpoks sweet

Looking forward to seeing it at the weekend.

You alright for slow convoy back

Cheers matey, need to focus on my house now as we moved in 4month ago and I've been in the garage the whole time.

Will get the RHs on again for the next meet as need to sort arches,tyres etc

Convoy sounds good mate.......not sure about the slow bit though :)

OK, I know this might sound crazy but I'm considering selling the charger and going back to NA

The reason being that the car is really nice now and pretty much my vision of OEM+ but the charger, with all its noise and extra ooomph just seems like I've gone to far to me.....it also makes me want to tune it more

Tempted to take it off, stick some refurbed solitudes on and enjoy it for what it was meant to be.

You've got to do what you want to do mate and how you see yourself happiest driving the car. I had been toying with the idea of charger/turbo but decided against it.

Once you start chasing BHP you end up focusing on power rather than making a nice car to drive and ultimately as drivable as the charger kit is....I prefer a big NA motor. Will see, no rush yet.

Edited by Hofmiester

OK, I know this might sound crazy but I'm considering selling the charger and going back to NA

The reason being that the car is really nice now and pretty much my vision of OEM+ but the charger, with all its noise and extra ooomph just seems like I've gone to far to me.....it also makes me want to tune it more

Tempted to take it off, stick some refurbed solitudes on and enjoy it for what it was meant to be.

yer i agree maybe consider a possible r32 swap man, or just put a block of wood under the pedal?

one things for sure if you sell your charger kit you will have alot of money for wheels and other oem goodies.

Just do what makes you happy man! you could always buy a cheap mk3 vr6 slap your charger on that and have a savage tracky car then the rado as a cruiser. who knows!

We'll see, when in in the mood for ragging about then the charger is ace, but when I'm not, it is quite intrusive.

Not to mention the increased insurance and fuel bills ;)

yeeeeeeeeeeer, insuuurance :grin::scratch:

its funny you say that man, mines still extremely easy to drive nice and calmly, and is still really good on fuel when your not caining it. :scratch:

To be fair, mine isn't bad considering how much extra bhp it added, it all comes down to what you can tolerate as comfortable. I get 28mpg on a 70mph steady run.

I notice that you have your car really low, like big wheels and so I'm guessing you have a high tolerance to the raw feeling....

I actually really like how the standard corrado drives, it just looks crap so I go as low as I dare before I start losing fillings ;)

The charger is very drivable, no stalling like some report and smoother than silk idle. I just feel a bit embarrassed sitting in traffic in a whistling car!

I think the V3 charger you have is probably quieter?

you cant even hear mine on tick over, and when driving you can hear the sound of the air being sucked through the induction pipe over anything else. and i guess you could say i have a high tolerance tbh it feels weird when i drive a non lowered car now. haha. and they are only 16" ;)

tbh your looks stunning whatever the weather so you cant really go wrong. mine seems to be just as good on fuel on low revs and long journeys and thats with cams big injectors ss manfold and a 3 inch straight trough so no idea why yours is so bad. agree with the idle and stuff though, mine runs smoother than ever. cant wait to see you corrado in the flesh, think i might try steal it!

Haha, don't you dare!

I don't think 28mpg is bad from mine. At worst when caining it I get low 20s, at best just over 30 at about 60mph

The noise is basically a V9 charger thing, i had a look online and mine is actually pretty quiet compared to some on YouTube

This is not going to help you but coming from VRT to a standard VR I couldnt believe how slow a standard car is. However you soon get used to it and you just have to realise that there are a lot of other cars quicker than you. Plus you can drive the car hard and not worry about doing sill speeds all over the place. Your standard brakes are fine and I would say on the whole the car is more reliable.

If you like having a car that make you laugh with speed then keep the charger IMO. If not then maybe an NA car is for you.

I just feel a bit embarrassed sitting in traffic in a whistling car!

Want to borrow my G60 for a couple of days? You will not even know yours is whistling after that :)

Work on the car is slowing down a bit now, most of the big stuff is done so I'm now down to the finishing touches.

Managed to score a brand new Hella headlamp lens from another forum member, replace my chipped one.

3aju7upa.jpg

New one

tepahemu.jpg

Splitting the original, easy if you take your time not to break any clips.

3amumyma.jpg

Finished item....just like new!

ajuqejes.jpg

hi ron, been offline a few months movin house etc... what happened to the oem thing you seem to have been pretty busy doing the opposite. car looks mint though, attention to detail is unreal.

next time your out for a drive give me a ring would love a look see how the cars came on.

Hey Dave! Been a while mate. Hope all is good with the new place?

The corrado project went a bit further than I had planned to be honest. Charger came up for sale in Middlesborough of all places, so I picked that up. Then the direction changes a bit. Still not 100% sure modding the car was a good idea but at least it is all kit that can be removed easy enough.

Exterior the car looks fairly standard, just the wheels and spoonfed splitter give it away.......and the whistle form the charger :)

I'll text you next time I am out in it, probably won't be this side of Xmas :(

Saw your car the other day at MB, all good?

cars been great lately, even been using it as a daily last couple of weeeks as ive been doing headgasket, timimg belt etc on the golf.

loved every minute driving it but ill be glad to put it away, salt on the roads not a good recipe for tryin to keep the car nice.

only prob is the spoiler not workin properly, presuming its the control module but not sure if they can be repaired as cant get them from dealers as usual.

catch up with u soon mate.

I've been holding off on a number of jobs that involve stripping out the interior, at the weekend I decide to get off my arse and make a start. Pretty daunting really as there are so many small parts. I'm planning on.....

Fitting heated seat loom - my interior is heated but my car didn't originally come with it.

Replace heater controls as the directional knob is stuck

Tidy up the wiring properly in the dash and remove the old tracker box, ice wiring etc (I made a start when I first bought the car but only got half way)

Treat all the cavities to Ditrinol rust protection, the sills, A pillars, rear arches

Replace all the broken clips that are causing rattles, felt line all the joins

Repair drivers seat foam, gone soft

Fit the Dave16v short shifter

So quite a lot to be getting on with :) first I took the seats out and tested the wiring loom that was made for me by another forum member

I plan to make plugs for the bottom of the seats....just need to work out how ;)

[ATTACH]77046[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]77047[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]77048[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]77049[/ATTACH]

Success, a warm backside. It all works! Then I started removing the rest of the interior. Good opportunity to clean all the bodywork under the carpets and Hoover all the dust from the corners.

Also going to re-paint my spare wheel as it is a little rusty in places.

[ATTACH]77050[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]77051[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]77052[/ATTACH]

So many tiny screws and bits of plastic :(

Good work mate im in the middle of the same thing trying to get rid of all the rattles , your vest of coveri g the lot with felt it dampens the panel and stops more vibration

Iv used 26 sheets of a4 felt up to now and covered pretty much everything that can be removed

Iv done the door cards completely keep an eye on my thread when it pops up ill post a load of pics in there when im done

Heya mate,

Yep I'm already onto the felt, did my front cards and gear handbrake trim about a year ago and it works very well. Now getting onto the rest, whilst also filling bodywork with wax.

How far did you go with the felt ? Iv had the door cards fully apart with all the speakers out even put some round the speaker grill to stop that vibrating

What wax are you using ? I cant go that far at the min as my car is still daily so the inner doors are always wet from drainage

I lines all the mating surfaces, so the edgeof the card where it meets the door, there the handles and speakers fit into the door. Basically anywhere that there are two surfaces touching that are not glued together. Seems to work well.

I'm using Dinitrol 3125HS which is a wax selant and rust inhibitor in one

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-rust-products/dinitrol/dinitrol-3125-hs-1-litre.html

I've been lucky in that aside from the front wing that I replaced, my car is (touch wood) rust free so I'm ensuring it stays that way :)

More dash stripping action tonight, scary stuff. I just need to keep track of all the tiny bits!

yvypeja2.jpg

Anyone know of any extra jobs I should do while it's all out? Just wondering if I should do the bloody heater matrix while I'm in there :(

Something to cheer me up arrived...stage II

9u2a7yhe.jpg