Hofmiester

Ron's Blackberry VR6 - A11 VRX - Getting her back on the road

From where you are, the dash is only 10 mins away from being ready to remove. From there on, the heater matrix is fairly simple. If you are unsure of the matrix age, then for peace of mind, I'd do it!

It may be worth wrapping any wiring loom up as the standard foam will be long past its best.

No idea how old the matrix is. Certainly older than 10 yrs as I've got all the history from 2002 onwards.

I'm really not keen on doing it but like you say, it's a lot easier to do now than once it is all back together.

You can do it without removing the dash too you need to remove is the centre console and the glovebox then the whole heaterbox comes out through the passenger side undertray area

Redo the foam seals on the heater box and grease the mechanism up too whilst your at it! Preventative maintenance is better than corrective! :thumbleft:

Haha nice work nothing like jumping right in there , id do it mate while your in there , jon you make it sound easy to do with the dash in is it really that easy ?? When you say center consol do you mean where the hand brake is and the gear stick or do you mean around the stereo and stuff

You can leave the dash in place, but why would you not want to make you life easier. The dash is only fixed in place by 5 fasteners. 1 on each end, 2 under the wiper mechanisms in the scuttle and 1 behind the centre console base.

Haha nice work nothing like jumping right in there , id do it mate while your in there , jon you make it sound easy to do with the dash in is it really that easy ?? When you say center consol do you mean where the hand brake is and the gear stick or do you mean around the stereo and stuff

Stereo/heater dial stuff after doing it twice last year (my car and the GF's) yeah it is probably easier taking dash out but didnt want to disturb anything so i would be left with rattles

Stuck on the last screw in the centre console, the one at the top inside the Left vent (centre section I've stereo)

Can't shift the bugger as the screw driver goes in at an angle, any ideas?

I was never able to get a butty screwdriver in to unscrew it but have removed a couple with just an ordinary sized screwdriver. Just push hard into the screw before you twist. Worked for me and didn't damage anything.

It is very awkward!

The GF got some right angle screwdriver type things(shape of an allenkey but crossheads on each end) and that did the job. If you still struggle with the screw then just take the dashout

I use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a screw driver attachment. It just fits. Get half way with it then do the rest by hand. Pain in the arse.

Ratchet idea sounds good, I've pushed and pushed with a normal screwdriver and no joy :(

Also one more quick question, does the glove box need to come out in order to remove the dash?

No it doesn't. It's almost impossible getting it out with the dash in place anyway.

Superb advice guys, I managed to get that final screw out this morning using the ratchet technique :)

Any tips on getting the dash screws out (locations) and also removing the dash?

My steering column is locked in place, took the adjuster out and replaced the spring with a bolt (totally sorts the steering column movement) but means I cant drop the steering column out of the way without some hassle.

Do I need to remove the steering cowling to remove the dash?

You need to disconnect the clocks to pull it out really and it's all a bit of a faff without the cowling removed. There are the two end bolts under the caps on the end of the dash by the shuts, and a couple of brackets you should see with the centre console and clocks and vents out. Also one bottom behind the centre console recess. Two bolts hold in the heater box accessed in the engine bay on the fire wall, and a couple either side of the heater box accessed with under trays removed. I think that's it iirc.......just check everywhere as you go along!

Thanks Sean, I already have the clocks out as I removed the steering wheel so they came out easy.

Busy weekend ahead.

Need to find a decent brand of heater matrix, the ones from ECP are a ****e brand I have never heard of. Would like a Beru/Hella if I can find one.

Got mine around 9 months ago from GSF. Was a premium branded one and turned out to be Hella. Cost £40.82 after VAT with a 10% discount.

Got mine around 9 months ago from GSF. Was a premium branded one and turned out to be Hella. Cost £40.82 after VAT with a 10% discount.

Cool, I think the Febi one should be decent, they are an OE supplier too.

How did you get a 10% discount? Are they doing a CCGB deal?

How did you get a 10% discount? Are they doing a CCGB deal?

Ron I think you just have to show your CCGB card

Yeah I thought it was forces discount, but it says on the receipt 'club discount', so I guess if you show your club card it may work.

Yeah I thought it was forces discount, but it says on the receipt 'club discount', so I guess if you show your club card it may work.

I remembered someone else mentioning it.To be honest most place's if you show your club card they are willing to give you a discount cos they know you are an enthusiast (either that or they see it's the Corrado club and they feel sorry for you cos they know you need all the help you can get)

Haha tell me about it, cars in bits again, needing yet more cash.

That 728i I bought for £500 has been sound so far, 560 miles of cheap as chips driving :)