VR6 Lee

6th gear into corrado vr

Don't think its worth it, with the amount of work required, even if you can fit an additional gear into the box. Much more common thing is to fit a lower ratio 5th gear, to drop revs down a bit.

yeah was just thinking the revs are pretty high when your on the motorway, would be nice if it could settle to around 2,000

If you are planning to stay with the O2A box then in preference to the very expensive 6th gear conversions, I would recommend fitting the TDI ratios found in the CTN version of the 02A. Clearly dependant upon you engine and its power delivery characteristics there might be a requirement to mix and match ratios to get the desired effect. This is a far more economical option and delivers the results 100%. In my own car I currently use the CTN ratios with a Quaife ATB diff and the transformation was outstanding. Performance and power delivery aside, I have had 36MPG on a run from my 16VG60!! Where before with CBA ratios I would struggle to get 28MPG.

If one is really adamant about having 6 speed, and the power output demands stronger gearbox, then the 02M is one of the best options. There are alterations required to the front subframe and a custom gearbox mount is required. Driveshafts too need to be changed, or custom built to suit. I am going to run the O2M box and Haldex diff as part of my 4WD conversion, purely as the power upgrade I am planning demands a significantly stronger gearbox.

None of these options are cheap, but if properly researched they can offer significant improvement to overall performance.

Have you guy seen a wiki about this, or know the part numbers for the 5th gear just to give me some idea.

If one is really adamant about having 6 speed, and the power output demands stronger gearbox, then the 02M is one of the best options. There are alterations required to the front subframe and a custom gearbox mount is required. Driveshafts too need to be changed, or custom built to suit. I am going to run the O2M box and Haldex diff as part of my 4WD conversion, purely as the power upgrade I am planning demands a significantly stronger gearbox.

None of these options are cheap, but if properly researched they can offer significant improvement to overall performance.

02M is alot of agro, you need the brackets fabricated and driveshafts shortening, then you also need to by a starter, flywheel and clutch to match the box.

Like science says, go with an 02S box, its a derivative of the 02A and 02J so will fit alot easier than the 02M, just a plate needed to bolt the standad rear mount to it

only issue is the speedo drive which will be fixed if you have the bellhousing changed to that of a VR 02a

have a look here

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?45367-Vr6-6-speed-02S-Possible&highlight=02s

I've found the worst part of an O2S build (so far) to be removal of 6th gear without the expensive special tool as most gear pullers can't do it. Made a tool to do it, just need time to try it. [ATTACH]71502[/ATTACH]

Edited by science

02M is alot of agro, you need the brackets fabricated and driveshafts shortening, then you also need to by a starter, flywheel and clutch to match the box.

Like science says, go with an 02S box, its a derivative of the 02A and 02J so will fit alot easier than the 02M, just a plate needed to bolt the standad rear mount to it

only issue is the speedo drive which will be fixed if you have the bellhousing changed to that of a VR 02a

Yeah I looked into the O2M and it's a big job. Don't forget you also need to relocate the gearbox mounting cup on the subframe, entire shifter setup and cables needed, the lot! So plenty of welding and trial fitting required. Not one for the casual DIYer, so it can be an expensive conversion. There is also the small matter of the 02M weighing almost 20Kg more than the 02A, and that's a proper FWD O2M as opposed to a 4WD one with a bodge plate.

The one benefit the 02M does bring to the party, is mountings for a dogbone. The 02S probably does too. The 02J certainly does. After my most recent experimenting with the Corrado, it really, really could do with a supplementary dogbone to take the load of the useless standard gearbox mount.

Anyway, yep, I would go proper 6 speed, or not at all, imho. Sticking another cog on top of the VR6's already too tall gearing will just drop the rpm into a power band where the VR6 will just have absolutely no response at all. You'll end up dropping back down to 5th, or even 4th, to get some kind of urge from the engine, making the conversion pointless.

6 well spaced gears that suit the engine's torque delivery is always going to give the best performance / economy compromise. It's why VAG and Mercedes are playing around with 7 and 8 gears.

I've been unlucky enough to get heavily involved on a haldex conversion in a rallye. We used the TT O2M box and it was a pain in the backside to fit in. Custom driveshafts, cutting the rear gearbox mount, custom front mount, new shifter, speedo sensor conversion etc.

after all that I was expecting it to be fantastic in 6th, dropping the revs nicely for motorway cruising. Massive disappointment. Sits in 6th at roughly the same rpm as my 5 speed box does in top. All I found was that the gears were closer together and you spent more time changing up and down than before. I won't be putting one in my car.

You need to switch to the diesel gears, I forgot to mention that, or at least the diesel final drive. It's because the V6 and turbo 02Ms were designed for 17s and 18s with big walled tyres.

One thing that annoys me with the s4 are the 6 gears. No need, it has oodles of power and needs taller gears to make better use.

Hi Everyone

Did someone mention 6 speed gearboxes ;-)

As some of you may already know I have spent many years involved in gearbox rebuilds, LSD's, 6 speed conversions etc..

Many of you will remember the Gemini 6 speed kits. Unfortunately Gemini are no longer around.

Recently we have become a distributor for Eurotuning, these guys make some very good 6 speed conversion kits.

Their website seems to be down at present but here it is http://www.eurotuning.cz

These kits are primarily designed as taller overdrive type gearing.

We have recently fitted a couple of kits for Audi A2 owners you were looking for better mpg, quiter and more relaxing motorway cruising.

Note, the eurotuning kit also replaces your existing 5th gear as well as adding a 6th gear.

Attached is a graph showing rpm vs speed, the red part of the graph shows the new 5th & 6th gearing.

OK, the attachment did not work, please tell me what I did wrong?

Cost of the kit is £1175 inc vat but plus fitting.

Edited by Vince@Stealth

Damn, wish I'd gone for a 6-speed box instead of a 3.68 FD, driving on the motorway in 5th gear give me a headache :)

In actual fact this is a perfect addition for those of you who have gone to the 3.68 FD!!

That sounds good Vince and good price. As said perfect for those that have gone 3.68FD. I notice they have a comfort and sport options. The price above is for the sport version? Is one area I would certianly invest in my car.

Graph now attached for the comfort kit, as mentioned by Vince a few posts up :)

corradogolfvr6chnccm1.jpg

Don't suppose there's a graph for the sport kit too? :)

Also - would the sport kit + 3.68 be nice on the motorway, i.e. would 6th gear be at 'comfortable' rpm @ 70mph?