VW_chris

Flash Red VR6 Project *NURBERGRING*

well, this is the start of what i know will be a very annoying, frustrating and confusing time, im stripping down bit by bit and rebuilding my corrado VR6 for the summer.

after an accident in december, exactly 1 month and a day after i travelled to cornwall to pick her up, an idiot in a saxo reversed into the drivers side wing/door. got it all repaired and shes better than she was beforehand, no awfull T4 vent in the wing anymore....

anyway, the accident left me with a bill off 400 quid, which i paid for using the money for next months insurance, and this months tax and MOT. which means im now un-able to drive it, so shes now off the road untill the summer.

im going to use this time to strip down all off the suspension components and upgrade the front and rear, upgrade the braking system, ill be removing all off the inlet/outlet and injection system, cleaning/repacing/upgrading anything that needs it, possibly port matching, removing the wiring loom in the engine bay and re-wrapping as its pretty un-tidy (in my eyes anyway), moving onto the interior (its pretty mint inside and i want to keep it origional as possible so im in two minds going for leather or not).

this is how she was when i got her/on the way back from cornwall (the first thing i done was to remove the eyebrow.... no thanks)

2akhenc.jpg

this is the engine bay as it was, since this was taken ive put the standard airbox back in and repaced a few bits of broken vacuum hose.

k1peoj.jpg

then when i was out in morpeth, my ignition switch decided to die, thankfully it was it a petrol station and paper clip came to the rescue and got me home, i hope i never have to replace one again...

21amruc.jpg

this is the best pic ive got of the vents in the wing and after, i didnt like them and i was looking at wings before the accident, so in a way it got done for free, but i wouldnt have chosen to do it that way.

2lxh6o1.jpg

and now

9sdisp.jpg

and this is how she is today, well, yesterday, because its 4 in the morning....

[dxi59t.jpg

2crk2z8.jpg

in the three months ive owned her now ive allready done a fair bit on her, 2 track rod ends, full set of spark plugs, rear exhaust hanger, ignition switch, vacuum piping and an intact standard air box. Ive got parts in the boot to do the rocker cover gasket and both top mounts and bearings for the front struts.

come back tommorow to see what ive been up to :cool:

Edited by VW_chris

Great work - it always makes me feel happy to see someone going through doing these sorts of jobs on a car... the most tedious, often with no real reward other than knowing "they've been done" - but its this kind of TLC that will keep the car on the road for years to come. Have a gold star ;)

And in case you didn't know the red on your car should be Flash Red - not flame red (unless it's been resprayed of course) - see the pic of my old Flash Red 16v in my signature for comparison :)

cheers :thumbleft: the next biggish problem io need to work through is the central locking, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, and ive had to modify the drivers door handle using a split pin because it was that worn and barely worked.

aha yes, i know its flash red, LP3G, i guess thats what being up at 4/5am does, thanks for pointing it out :thumbleft:

well today i didnt touch the corrado, i just spent a bit of time on my other car, a mk4 golf. cleaned out the boot off tools, fitted a set of HID`s i had lying around, wired in a head unit and subwoofer that was in the garage, then vacuumed the insides of a good few months of dust and general crap.

tommorow should be fun, going to wash both the cars to start off with, then throw myself into the corrado, removing the front subframe and all the suspension/braking/steering components

well, ive been quite busy with her lately, i whipped off the inlet manifold to replace the leaky rocker cover gasket and give everything a general clean up, then when i came to put everything back together id been supplied with the wrong gasket from VW, SO.... with a few days on my hands i started to polish the inlet manifold and rocker cover, im not going crazy with it as im still wanting a clean/OEM look, ive finished the inlet manifold however ive only really got a pic of it being started/half done. just imagine it all looking like the far right one :thumbleft:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72507[/ATTACH]

just got a little more to do on the rocker cover and i can get it back together.

today, i went up to VW and picked up some cloth wiring loom tape, on the way back, spotted a MK2 jaguar, stopped to have a look and went for a little run in it :cheers:

anyway, today i pulled all of this out of the engine bay.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72578[/ATTACH]

started by removing as much of the wiring loom from the bay as i could, pulled all the old rotted/oily tape of the wiring, cleaned up a all of the wiring connectors and re-wrapped with VW cloth tape @ £6 a roll :crazyeyes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72579[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72580[/ATTACH]

then i fitted all of the intake system back in which ive been polishing up, pulled the dizzy off and cleaned all the contacts whilst i was at it,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72581[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72582[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72590[/ATTACH]

Edited by VW_chris

Today i got sick of looking at the tired run down paintwork so i took the opportunity to buy some more cleaning gear, picked up some Auto Glym paint restorer, some armourall dash wipes, 2 magic trees and some wire wool to finish off the inlet.

Started out just washing the car, then washed my dads car whilst i waited for all the water to bugger off, started out on the pretty heavily faded areas using G3 paste to bring the paintwork back up (i used quite a lot....) but anyway, once i was happy all the faded crap was gone (80% of the car was faded) i went around the whole car using Auto Gyms paint restorer (from what i could tell its just a weakened version of G3) then went round for a third time using Auto Glym super resin polish.

these are the results;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72599[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72600[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72601[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72602[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72603[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72604[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72605[/ATTACH]

the last few days Ive been working on her Ive got quite a bit done, ran out of wiring loom tape for a second time... but that's because i really am caning it, i started doing a bit of work on the rain tray area, re-wrapping ALL of the wiring loom there, then moved onto the washer piping, the original was all rotted and moldy, so a change there was needed, so i got hold of some MK3 VR6 golf washer fluid pipework, all in hard black plastic, makes a massive difference from the nasty what was once "clear" pipework

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72733[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72734[/ATTACH]

then i started work on the wiring loom, which as you can see has faded and started to fall away in the pics above, about 90% of the wiring loom in the engine bay looked like this, and im still waiting for more to come in at VW to finish it all off. but bloody hell is it expensive stuff....:bonk:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72736[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72737[/ATTACH]

Then i spotted a mk4 style washer fluid cap which was on the MK3, big improvement upon the standard blue flap.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72735[/ATTACH]

Replaced a few rusty hose clamps with stainless jubilee`s

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72738[/ATTACH]

whilst i was doing all of the wiring loom, i pulled off the wiper arms to spray them up again, they were absolutely riddled with stone chips, and gave the covers a good clean whilst they were off.

Next jobs are to finish off the wiring loom re-wrapping once some more rolls come in at VW, then remove the fan cowling to remove the rust/spray black again.

Some good work there mate , i did all the wire rapping as well , the old stuff was rank , looks so much cleaner .The body has come up a treat as well , nice one .

From your pic's the body has come up well would have been better if you had a couple of before pic's for comparison but if it is on it's original paint :cool:

ha! ive been paying double the price for a roll of tape half the size, ah well, live and learn :confused:

Some good work there mate , i did all the wire rapping as well , the old stuff was rank , looks so much cleaner .The body has come up a treat as well , nice one .

yeah, a load of it was just non existent, and whatever was left, was a really faded/brittle pale brown colour, im working my way along the bulkhead at the minute, and to be honest i preferred the dried out crumbly/non existent tape to the really sticky/dirty stuff that gets all over your hands :lol:

From your pic's the body has come up well would have been better if you had a couple of before pic's for comparison but if it is on it's original paint :cool:

cheers :thumbleft: its a million times better than it was before i done it, especially the roof, bonnet and wheel arches, as far as i know the drivers side wing is the only panel which inst original, but id rather have an un -original standard wing to one which has vents in it.... same with the wheels and parcel shelf, whoever put the 6x9`s in it deserves shot and just as much for taking speedlines off and putting the tsw`s on....

It's come up really well, satisfying work when you stand back and see the difference. Top work

been really busy with her lately!

-new TA Technix coilovers bought and fitted with new top mounts and bearings

-origional style head unit sourced and fitted for 10 bob!

-origional speedlines bought off ebay, cheap as chips, (still need refurbed, but theyl do till its through its mot)

-drivers side 288MM brake upgrade done with new pads.

-drivers side solid brake line (abs to flexi) done

First off i fitted the coilivers, massive difference compared to the worn out, knackers dampers and springs, actually goes around roundabouts now without scrubbing!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73805[/ATTACH]

old damper with spring

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73806[/ATTACH]

then i done the 288`s on the drivers side with the solid brake line too as 1 inch of it was rotten..... (ive got no pics of this because i hate brake lines)

then it was time for me and my mate travelled up the selkirk in scotland for some red cola, sorry to pick up a set of speedlines i had bought of ebay, 2x mint TOYO Proxies 2x knackered tyres which i replaced with so called "scrap tyres" with 5mm tread on at work for free ;) then fitted the new speedlines today after swapping 2 tyres over at work, couldnt wait ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73807[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73808[/ATTACH]

one side all fitted up

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73809[/ATTACH]

bit of a before/after picture, so glad these wheels are off the car, ive wanted rid of them since i bought it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73810[/ATTACH]

standard 280mm`s under speedlines

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73813[/ATTACH]

uprated 288`s under speedlines (discs look worse than they are, its just surface rust from where its been sitting)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73814[/ATTACH]

then fitted the sweet/kick ass casette/radio i pulled out of a mk2 golf which i picked up for a cheeky 10a

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73811[/ATTACH]

which also came with a free kick ass casette!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73812[/ATTACH]

not long after this the gearbox in my daily golf finaly gave up the ghost, so last weekend this is what i was doing, she was only off the road for 3 days, which i dont thinks bad knowing that 1 of those days i was at work till 7.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73815[/ATTACH]

infamous diff failure

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73816[/ATTACH]

was quite surprised to see the standard clutch still rocking it after 176,000 miles, yes, 176k. doesnt judder, no slip, good biting point so made the decision to

leave it, if its lasted this long obviously its still got a lot more life left in it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73817[/ATTACH]

and thats it for now! this week ill be fitting the 288`s to the other side of the car, once thats done ill be taking her to work for her MOT!

Great work and very nice looking car indeed.

Cheers,

Redfox ;)

cheers! still got a long way to go though before ill be happy with the way it is, at the minute i just want it taxed and tested so i can temp cover it for the likes of weekends whilst ive still got a good bit of money going out.

i still need to replace/fix the;

-steering wheel

-parcel shelf

-passenger side brake line + 288mm conversion (should be done this week)

-rear brake pads (should be done this week)

-gear knob

-de-cat pipe (still undecided, ill either leave the cat in or decat it depending on if i hear a r32/vr6 decated that day)

-refurb all four speedlines + wrap 2 in toyo proxies

-replace a fog light bulb (should be done this week)

-finish off the engine bay wiring loom (should be done this week)

-paintwork.

but at the minute i just want to enjoy the car, ill get it done within a couple of monthes i just want to enjoy the sun in it while i can :) hence mot/tax needs doing ASAP

cheers! still got a long way to go though before ill be happy with the way it is, at the minute i just want it taxed and tested so i can temp cover it for the likes of weekends whilst ive still got a good bit of money going out.

i still need to replace/fix the;

-steering wheel

-parcel shelf

-passenger side brake line + 288mm conversion (should be done this week)

-gear knob

-refurb all four speedlines + wrap 2 in toyo proxies

-replace a fog light bulb, brake light bulb, front number plate, rear wiper blade and a fuse (should be done this week)

-finish off the engine bay wiring loom (should be done this week)

-paintwork.

-MOT time

but at the minute i just want to enjoy the car, ill get it done within a couple of monthes i just want to enjoy the sun in it while i can :) hence mot/tax needs doing ASAP

well, been about a week since this thread seen some action, but we are getting there, had her booked in for her MOT at work for about a week untill the clocks in my mk4 daily decided to break, causing the immobiliser to kick in 24/7, had to replace the clocks, battery (i went hardcore and put a diesel battery in), then 2 front hubs and 2 brake discs (because i was retarded and bought larger sized brake hubs of another mk4, i needed to change to discs... so, goodbye more money, but, i refused to let it put the MOT back another week, so this week im living on buttered bread and water ;)

well did she pass? course she did without a single advisory, had a quick glance at the previous milage`s on the sheet, seems shes moved very little in the past few years, approximatly 4,000 miles since 2010, quite a shame really, as these cars were designed to be driven and enjoyed, im all for a car looking good at a show, but if you dont use it, whats the point? yeah your preserving "history" but you arnt enjoying it :scratch: anyway, im not going to rant on about that now....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74175[/ATTACH]

then, after work i pulled her into the valet bay and gave her a good inside and outside clean, been a good few weeks since i last cleaned her, month or so since i cleaned the interior, so it was very much needed :smug:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74177[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74178[/ATTACH]

after work i took her out for a really good run, couldnt justify spending as much as i had for a days insurance, MOT repairs and the MOT itself and just parking it up, so i took her up to hartside top, sadly my phone died, and messed up some great opportunitys for photos, but always next time :cool:

and thats it untill this weekend, when i hopefully get to stick in a parcel shelf and finally remove the 6x9`s

Well done getting through the MOT! Got mine Sat'dee, and I'm a touch worried! Good to see how your getting on with the work too, keep it up mate! :thumbleft:

Well done getting through the MOT! Got mine Sat'dee, and I'm a touch worried! Good to see how your getting on with the work too, keep it up mate! :thumbleft:

haha, i was a nervous wreck, i was hovering around the MOT bay whilst it was being tested, no way could i just carry on with graft when my pride and joy is being scrutinized haha

good luck mate! have a good run through ALL your bulbs before you take it down, i had one out that i didnt even know about it untill 20 mins before it was pulled it in.

Done that, its only really the ABS system I'm worried about. It works, but the display/light has been butchered in the past! :pale:

Done that, its only really the ABS system I'm worried about. It works, but the display/light has been butchered in the past! :pale:

ive got that problem too, my ABS light chooses when it wants to be on and off, for example during the mot test it wanted to be on, and i had to explain to the mot tester there isnt actually a fault with the system, then after the MOT test, it decided it would like to be off. queer thing.

id be tempted to look into removing/covering the bulb up just for the test mate, its a 20+ year old car at the end of the day, not every MOT tester has done one, let alone seen one, he wont know if its supposed to illuminate or not :awesome:

Thats the problem, there is no bulb! The whole of the back end of the light unit is missing! As of March this year, its now a failure for it not to illuminate and follow the correct sequence. According to the VOSA directive, it was just an advisory before.

ive got that problem too, my ABS light chooses when it wants to be on and off, for example during the mot test it wanted to be on, and i had to explain to the mot tester there isnt actually a fault with the system, then after the MOT test, it decided it would like to be off. queer thing.

id be tempted to look into removing/covering the bulb up just for the test mate, its a 20+ year old car at the end of the day, not every MOT tester has done one, let alone seen one, he wont know if its supposed to illuminate or not :awesome:

Do you think an MOT tester wouldn't notice the abs pump bolted to the bulkhead? Or the sensor wiring to the hubs?