seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

I know Rob, it happens and they were all accidents, but it still drives you mad!

Been busy wiring up a lighting circuit this morning. All runs off an extension lead from the house, but it's nice and bright and I can put the portable electric radiators on and work late at night now too! :thumbleft:

I would have mate, but we're taking the kids out for the day because ironically, I have to go up to Portsmouth for the week tomorrow night for a course! :rolleyes:

I may well still be at it Sean ! . Good practice for when you do yours lol . lets hope you don't have any shearing bolts .

Went for a little blast this morning to use up some fuel, then washed the car and put it in the garage. She's now SORN for the winter and I'll be starting the underside disassembly next weekend. Scraped knuckles, covered in filth, and sheared bolts here I come!

It's not a bad job Sean . Having good ground clearance is a bonus . I hope it all comes off for you without any problems. Soak everything this week , every night if you can . Hopefully by the weekend the nuts and bolts will come off easily. The mounts are good value from Heritage, I didn't want after market rock solid crashy mounts . The two rubbers for the anti roll bar are only around a fiver too .

Got all those already Rob, mostly genuine but a few bits aftermarket and quite a bit from heritage including wishbones. I'm not sure if I'll start at the back then do the front, or just do the lot in one go........

I'll see how I get on next week I think!

I suppose it all depends what sort of clearance you have . I know you know your stuff Sean . I started mine rear to front . It doesn't matter really . I just didn't want to much going on at the same time.

Probably not a huge amount of clearance factoring in the garage door dropping down tbh Rob. I think I'll do the rear first like you, and I can crack on with cleaning all the underside (with a toothbrush!) before getting to the front. It'll help identify all the correct sized bolts too as I'll either be ordering new or having existing ones zinc coated if they're in decent knick, and I'll only end up getting them mixed up!

Wow, thats a pretty epic read! Thanks very much for the comment, means a lot! I'm nearing the point I'll be happy with the car, but I'm sure I'll find something else that'll need sorting as is usually the case! :thumbleft:

Had the odd half day over the past few weeks stripping the Underside. Rear axle, fuel tank, exhaust and all the other bits and pieces are off. Got loads of pics but can't seem to upload them with photobucket since I had to reinstall it on my phone. Had a few bits that were a bit of a mare. Mainly bolts from down pipe to cat, and brake Bias valve but all done now. Found a small 5p sized rust hole in the top corner where the filler neck is too. I'll cut it out and get a mobile welder to put some new metal in there. Exhaust heat Shields have been cleaned but I might get a few of em soda or vapour blasted as they're quite pitted with salt crystals by the look of it. I'll be ordering some epoxy paint after Xmas so I can start stripping the metal and get it painted. Although I think I'll just get it blasted cos I'm feeling lazy! Progress is slow tbh, and I'll be away with work quite a bit over the next year so not sure the car will make it out for quite some time.

As I said , it's not a bad job, but more time consuming than you think . Mine is just left on the drive now in bits . Work is horrendous and spare time is non existent, I can't be bothered to be honest. I need to find some way of jacking up the rear of the car , as the tires are brand new and I don't want flat spots on them . But I need to support the engine at the same time . That's enough about mine , this is your thread lol . Good luck with your refurb mate , it's a lovely car you have .

Always good to hear of yours Rob. It's a shame you're loosing the enthusiasm though, I guess this time of year always does that. Dark when you leave for work, and dark when you leave from work! Funding it around this time of year doesn't help either! It's finding the time as well. All those combined is why I know mine will be off the road longer than anticipated. It's disheartening looking at the state of some of it after seeing what some on here have done too, and how mint they look, but knowing mine will never be quite that good despite an awful lot of my hard work.

Hey ho, it's the only active hobby I have so just need to remember that!

It's my only hobby too Sean. The love will come back (I hope) . Nowadays I get home and it doesn't get a second glance.

Very quick update.

A couple more bits arrived today. Rear splash shields and stub axles, handbrake cables, rear ABS sensors and some brake pipe clips.

Just a tiny amount of welding, some fuel hose clips, blasting and Epoxy mastic paint on the metalwork, and getting some new bolts or zinc plating my existing ones to do now for the rear at least. I'll get the paint next month and call around a couple of places for pricing on everything else, then hopefully crack on and get it built up.

Underside still needs cleaning, but should be able to grab the odd few hours over the next couple of weeks whilst off work and I'll do that before calling the mobile welder out, fingers crossed though! Its a 5p sized hole but who knows what else is lurking beneath! :eek:

Cheers Rob. Forgot about the calipers actually. I think I might send them off to Biggred for refurbishment, but I'll attempt to strip the paint and see what they look like first. You can get new pistons and seals quite cheaply from Biggred on ebay, so if I can get them stripped and zinc plated locally it'll also save me a few quid. I'm sounding like I'm not far away from getting it all sorted, but actually I've got 1001 other things I want to do whilst its all apart and easily accessed, including taking off the gearbox again to check the release arm. Possibly even get the gearbox internals looked at which isn't cheap!

Not had much time on the car tbh. Aside from stripping it down and spending a few hours cleaning the underside (some serious amount of hours still required to get it up to standard!), the only thing I've done is get some new nuts and bolts etc, and get them and a few existing bits zinc plated. I thought I'd put these pics up for now, but won't get any more time on the car until around Easter due to work. Hopefully some more updates and maybe a bit of progress then!

DSC_0357_zpsobet5h9u.jpg

DSC_0358_zps3ofqsvqv.jpg

DSC_0359_zpssyqs2sku.jpg

DSC_0361_zpsec68nwzq.jpg

DSC_0362_zpses2blotq.jpg

DSC_0365_zpsitvvuejy.jpg

DSC_0366_zpsitzxx3on.jpg

DSC_0371_zpsmoil9ppq.jpg

DSC_0368_zps2wljslsz.jpg

DSC_0380_zpsabhe5dia.jpg

DSC_0382_zpsyhseqes7.jpg

DSC_0386_zpskaywzq5g.jpg

As you can see, its GRIM under there!

A couple of shiny bits below, but I've got a boot full of new stuff to go on, so its just a few more bits to get and an epic clean underneath. I reckon I've spent about 4 hours under there, but have about another 20 hours to go. :brickwall:

DSC_0444_zpswdh2dhii.jpg

DSC_0445_zpsd7o7engg.jpg

Why did I start it! haha.

Looking great Sean if not familiar.....

It's really satisfying work and will look great when your done. I think you can still buy some of the aluminium heat shields if you need them.

Are you putting new brake lines on? The original finish ones you can buy on here look great and fit perfectly.

Look forward to updates!