seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

OK, a quick Google and ebay search reveals there are a few. Which does a late vr6 have, silver or gold font, emblem or not?

Paint arrived for the running gear this week. Kids are in Bristol with my folks for a week the from 6th August so I'll have a good bit of time to Crack on and get things done. Should have the rear beam assembled and back on hopefully. 098b7759fbb5dd86fb538ad21200f8ed.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Cheers Rob, good to see you too mate. I'm sure it won't be as long as the last time til we meet again! :)

On another note, a new daily is being picked up tomorrow. Bye bye to the Pug 206, driving a 1.1 is a bit tedious especially as I'll be doing a bit of travelling for the next 6 months, so I've bought a 2006 Passat Estate 2.0 Diseasal DSG. Showing my age and getting a bit lazy I suppose, but its really easy cruising and much more comfortable. :D

Not as much done as I'd hoped, and no pics unfortunately. I've stripped and painted all the rear axle etc metalwork, and finished cleaning up the bottom to the step where the rear seats are. It's not eat your dinner off clean, but pretty good tbh. I've stripped back any underseal where rust had started to creep in back to good metal, treated it and etch primed. I'll get the correct VW underseal to remedy and hopefully be able to feather in the new so it's not too noticeable, then give it a quick pass with a tin of paint to blend it a bit more.

I attempted to fit the rear axle bushes so bought a metre long Threaded bar to get em in, but the bar is now in 3 pieces! Got them half way in on each side and the bar sheared both times! I'm praying the local dealer has the tool as I can see no other way around it.

Looking to move house too so need it done really, although I'm pretty much away now until November so it's really not ideal!

Hopefully have the rear end ready to go on once these bits are sorted!

It's a slow job Sean , unless you have unlimited time , which most of us don't . Glad it's going well so far .

there must be room on the new grey ship for sean to work on his car while at sea.... we don't have any jets for it at the moment :)

Just a ratty old frigate for me I'm afraid!

Should have an opportunity in November to get it finished hopefully. If not it wont get touched until Easter time next year! :(

If you can fix a bike , you can fix a car , stuff the lynx helicopter get the Corrado on board lol .

Haha, you laugh, but thats pretty much how it panned out for me! lol.

A skateboard, a bike, a go kart, a moped, a car, and a type 22 Frigate! :lol:

If you can fix a bike , you can fix a car , stuff the lynx helicopter get the Corrado on board lol .

Ha ha.. the navy's new recruitment advert...

Only five months on and I've managed to get a couple of hours on the car today. :rolleyes:

I'll be moving house in the next couple of months, and as I'll be away with work for most of the lead up to it I needed to get the car at least rolling so I can put it on the the back of a flat bed for moving to its new home. Its an attached barn (21 x 17 ft) so plenty of room, has a couple of double radiators, power, light and a sink. Its a massive upgrade from my single garage in a block at the moment!

Anyway, I had tried to pull the rear axle bushes in with a metre long 1/2" threaded bar previously, but the bar just sheared - twice!

I had to get a camper van place to put the bushes in as they had the correct tool and only charged me £22 + VAT, where as VW wanted £102!!!!!! Apparently thats an hours labour. :eek:

All was going relatively well, although as its been a year since I took it all off so there was quite a bit of head scratching and looking at photos and the online parts catalogue to see where things went! Stub axles, disk shields, various pipe clips and guides, and bias valve all on the beam, beam and brackets on, and rear suspension attached with everything torqued up. Put the races in the new disks, rear bearings sat in the races with a load of CV grease, front bearings in and then I realised the new bearing set didn't come with the thrust/pressure washer. A bit of frantic searching and I'm damned if I can find the old ones. Typical, just at the stage where I can put it back on the floor, and all comes to a grinding halt.

I'll order a pair up then get the disks on, then just put the calipers on with the handbrake cables attached and it'll be back on all fours.

That will be it for the time being, and it'll take a back burner whilst we concentrate on doing a few bits we want to do to the house, so won't be out this year either in all likelihood. At least I'll be able to work in a warm and light garage when the opportunity arises in future though!!! :smug:

Only five months on and I've managed to get a couple of hours on the car today. :rolleyes:

I'll be moving house in the next couple of months, and as I'll be away with work for most of the lead up to it I needed to get the car at least rolling so I can put it on the the back of a flat bed for moving to its new home. Its an attached barn (21 x 17 ft) so plenty of room, has a couple of double radiators, power, light and a sink. Its a massive upgrade from my single garage in a block at the moment!

Anyway, I had tried to pull the rear axle bushes in with a metre long 1/2" threaded bar previously, but the bar just sheared - twice!

I had to get a camper van place to put the bushes in as they had the correct tool and only charged me £22 + VAT, where as VW wanted £102!!!!!! Apparently thats an hours labour. :eek:

All was going relatively well, although as its been a year since I took it all off so there was quite a bit of head scratching and looking at photos and the online parts catalogue to see where things went! Stub axles, disk shields, various pipe clips and guides, and bias valve all on the beam, beam and brackets on, and rear suspension attached with everything torqued up. Put the races in the new disks, rear bearings sat in the races with a load of CV grease, front bearings in and then I realised the new bearing set didn't come with the thrust/pressure washer. A bit of frantic searching and I'm damned if I can find the old ones. Typical, just at the stage where I can put it back on the floor, and all comes to a grinding halt.

I'll order a pair up then get the disks on, then just put the calipers on with the handbrake cables attached and it'll be back on all fours.

That will be it for the time being, and it'll take a back burner whilst we concentrate on doing a few bits we want to do to the house, so won't be out this year either in all likelihood. At least I'll be able to work in a warm and light garage when the opportunity arises in future though!!! :smug:

Glad the underside is coming on Sean . Your right about the head scratching , mine took so long to do because of the weather I had the same problem. So you have a lovely barn to put her in too , I’m not envious at all , just looking out of the window now at the pouring rain , with the VR , sat on the drive shivering under a cover . I checked yesterday and it hasn’t rubbed on the paint with the wind pulling on it for the past week . Hopefully I will put the battery back in tomorrow and be able to go for a ride out . Hope the move goes well mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rob!

I'm such a douche, had a thought whilst I was typing the last post, and I've just found them. Tucked up behind the dust cover on the old disks. :rolleyes:

I'll get em on tomorrow morning and get it back on the floor hopefully. I'll get some pics too. :thumbleft:

Thanks Rob!

I'm such a douche, had a thought whilst I was typing the last post, and I've just found them. Tucked up behind the dust cover on the old disks. :rolleyes:

I'll get em on tomorrow morning and get it back on the floor hopefully. I'll get some pics too. :thumbleft:

, looking forward to the pics

Sounds like you've been busy Sean. Look forward to seeing photos.

You probably know, but don't forget to set the correct angle for the beam or wait till its on the floor before tightening the bolts that go through the big bushes.

Sounds like you've been busy Sean. Look forward to seeing photos.

You probably know, but don't forget to set the correct angle for the beam or wait till its on the floor before tightening the bolts that go through the big bushes.

How's the mk1 coming on chris.... guess you've been busy too

Quick question. Can the beam be fitted incorrectly, or can it only go in at a certain angle?.

How's the mk1 coming on chris.... guess you've been busy too

Slowly, but it's grown arms and legs! I'll sort some updates.

Quick question. Can the beam be fitted incorrectly, or can it only go in at a certain angle?.

There is an angle the 2 brackets are supposed to be set at according to the Bentley manual. I guess it's because once the two big bolts are tight, it clamps the big rubber bush in position. If it's at too much of an angle it will stress the rubber and potentially tear it. I just let the car sit flat on the floor then nipped them up.