seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Will do mate. It failed on service brake efficiency (rear) and parking brake so points toward rear calipers. I changed them for the mk4 Golf ones and the pistons move freely, the slider pins have been removed again and copper greased even though they were functioning perfectly before, so I'm just praying it's not something more sinister. Brakes feel spongy and on short test drives the braking is just really ineffective. I have to stamp as hard as I can and the abs eventually kicks in, but it shouldn't take that much effort. It's been a fair while since I really used the car, but I'd always been quite impressed with the brakes beforehand (288mm fronts and braided lines all round too). As I said, everything points to air in the system but I'm just worried it'll be something more sinister and cost me a bloody fortune in parts and labour now I'm handing it over.

Do the rear calliper hand brake levers return to there stops? (cables too tight maybe?

What is the pedal like with the handbrake on?

Tried with handbrake cables disconnected, put back on and one cable was slightly loose with the mechanism at the stops so frightened it a bit. If I apply the handbrake then push the brake pedal, the handbrake will come up about another 2 notches.

I'm sure it will be fine Sean . Mine were fine before the rear brakes and cables were removed . Now I have horrendous travel on the peddle . There is no air in the system at all . It will just take some Fettling .

Well Rob you've right. Just paid £48 for the garage to do it, and it feels no different. Passed the MOT with it though so I'll see how the bed in and give em a good stomp on when I get a quiet moment. Onto the starter motor at the weekend weather permitting!

Oh, and I'm booked in at JMR for geometry on 24th Feb so a nice little run down there to perve at his G60 if it's on site!

Wind the rear pistons out until there's 1mm of clearance and try the pedal again, it sounds like the rears aren't self adjusting?

Apparently you can fit one from a Golf V5 - drop in replacement if that's of any interest.

Apparently you can fit one from a Golf V5 - drop in replacement if that's of any interest.

Aye that's what I hope to sort mate. Just sizing up where is best to get them for now.

How is yours coming on?

That's what I went for. Just dropped it in and it sounds much smoother when starting, but unfortunately hasn't cured occasional dead key turn problem. :scratch:

Found the culprit, here is what I tried.

Ignition switch - Meyle from VW Heritage

Starter Motor - Remanufactured Golf V5 unit

ECU relay - Used but in working condition

Battery pos cable bypass using jump leads directly to the starter motor live.

Battery neg cable bypass using jump leads directly to the starter motor earth.

Get up out of the car whilst key in position 3 and no cranking - fires into life!

A few more tests when nothing happens by lifting the key in the ignition slightly, and starts every time.

Dropped the dash undertrays to make sure connections were all seated correctly just to be sure, but nothing wrong there.

Note to self/all, don't trust aftermarket parts even when new!

Also fitted a replacement sunroof motor from a mk3 Golf, and my sunroof now slides fully closed after opening.

Job done for now!

Edited by seanl82

Getting there mate. Still a fair bit to do yet though, and the brakes are still pants.

Suspension next weekend hopefully!

I painted mine today , to be fair they weren't in bad Nick . I can't afford new suspension ATM so a paint will have to do . Yours must be nearly done now Sean .

To be fair I've had them over a year and still not fitted them Rob! Want them on before I go and see John at JMR in a few weeks though.

Still have the rest of the underside to do and then it'll just be the odd niggly thing from time to time which would be a nice place to be.

To be fair I've had them over a year and still not fitted them Rob! Want them on before I go and see John at JMR in a few weeks though.

Still have the rest of the underside to do and then it'll just be the odd niggly thing from time to time which would be a nice place to be.

I remember reading when you bought them . Yep , when you've finished , it will be a nice position to be in . I hope it won't get boring when all you do is polish it lol . Mine is like the fourth bridge , I think by the time I finish , it will be time to start again ! .

Edited by robrado974

So, 13 months after taking delivery, they're finally on.

wp_20160219_14_20_14_pro%201_zpsmconk8qf.jpg

WP_20160219_14_19_37_Pro_zpszdwnvlrf.jpg

Well the rears are anyway!

I kept getting rained off, so managed to get the rear ones completed and the rear end back on the ground with all bots torqued up, and the front wheels are off and top mount nuts loosened so its just 2 bolts holding them on each side. Should get a break in the weather long enough to change them tomorrow.

They're bilstein B12s (Bilstein B8 Dampers & Eibach springs) if anyone hasn't read (20 pages now!) back on this thread. Sorry for the dire pics!

Nice Sean , good work mate. The weather is dire ! . I tried so many times to get my new carpet fitted , it was a nightmare . I would love to have a nice big garage .

Edited by robrado974

Tell me about it mate, I'm torturing myself at the moment looking at houses with big garages! I need to wait unfortunately unless I'm gonna be a weekend husband/dad for the next 6 years, or I manage to get back down to Plymouth which I've been trying to for ages now. Cant afford all that where we are at the moment.