Sean_Jaymo

Corrado Part Duex - 24V Aqua Blue - She's gone.

I left all of the setting as per factory and Vince advises around -1 in the camber so that's what I asked for. Standard is -1.3 so not too far off. I have the wheels set at -2 on the toe. I'd imagine -5 would be nice on turn in but would destroy tyres in next to no time.

Update, I've done about 100 miles today and I've found that the exhaust knocks when there is stuff in the boot which is really annoying. Something to look into. I also find the low speed ride over broken or rutted tarmac to be pretty harsh. Hopefully it will soften out. Low frequency undulations are fine but the high frequency bumps are pretty harsh.

Two of the things i need to sort out . My exhaust knocks its really annoying , when i finaly get enough money to finish the underside , i will sort it then . As for the suspension im stuck with it , even on soft setting it seems harsh .

I left all of the setting as per factory and Vince advises around -1 in the camber so that's what I asked for. Standard is -1.3 so not too far off. I have the wheels set at -2 on the toe. I'd imagine -5 would be nice on turn in but would destroy tyres in next to no time.

Update, I've done about 100 miles today and I've found that the exhaust knocks when there is stuff in the boot which is really annoying. Something to look into. I also find the low speed ride over broken or rutted tarmac to be pretty harsh. Hopefully it will soften out. Low frequency undulations are fine but the high frequency bumps are pretty harsh.

Sean, not on your own, my exhaust knocks at times too with stuff in the boot or when running over large bumps/holes.

I've got a plan for tomorrow that may hopefully reduce this irritating knock. It puts a dampener on an otherwise good bit of kit.

Disconnect the exhaust and see if I can get it fitted better than it is. It only need to move by 5mm or so from what I can see so fingers crossed something can be done.

Great success! Fettled with the exhaust joins for 15 minutes and all was sorted. The exhaust rear box and over axle bend were sitting approx 5 mm too far rearwards. The up part of the over axle bend had about 5 or 6mm of clearance between the exhaust and the front edge of the rear beam so I loosened off the clamp at the centre box joint and with the aid of a rubber mallet, I managed to get the exhaust to sit a bit further into the joint. Tighten it all back up and I now have 12 to 14mm of clearance and that has completely cured my knocking (for now anyway!)

Next up I decided that I would do some Airflow logs to confirm how the MAF is reading. After the RR, the Car only pulled 180BHP and a dodgy MAF was thought to be the culprit. For anyone interested, I have posted up the graphs and it's clear that the MAF is pretty much gone!

Run 1

run%203_zpsnuqdtnf9.jpg

Run 2

Run%201_zpsfp3w3bdp.jpg

You can see how erratic and flat the line generally is. My peak flow was 130G/S and peak load was only 76%. Divide 130 by 0.8 (or multiply by 1.25) and you get 162 which should be the rough BHP which is even lower than a week ago. It's on its way out! I should be getting something around 165G/S for stock 24v power.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

Good news , I will be having a go at mine using the above info , thanks Sean , although mine knocks with nothing in the boot . The Maff is not cheap is it ! .

Unfortunately not although euro car parts sell a genuine bosch item for approx £75 so it's not hugely expensive. I'm going to wait if they kick out one of their third off sales in the next couple of weeks. That will make it a bit more of an acceptable price.

That's not to bad then , I could probably do with one too . I'm waiting for the tax year to end for a rebate , with the amount of work I need to do on the T4 and the car , I hope it's going to stretch that far ! .

I could do with a rebate! That's the cost for 24v MAF by the way, I'm not sure how far ECP will pull your pants down for a 12v MAF?

I just bought an OBD2 maf from GSF (Bosch) which was £91 on exchange. Not a cheap item if it goes wrong! I believe the OBD1 is a LOT more pricey...

glad to see the car getting even better Sean

Thanks Hasan, It seems that MAF's are only good for a few years before they loose their resolution and stop giving you peak performance. There must be a better way of measuring airflow or maybe we should all go turbo and fit MAP sensors instead to save on MAF issues?

A few weeks after fitting the B12's and it has all settled down nicely and that initial harshness around town seems to have gone. Still happy. Took a photo to celebrate.

IMG_4634_zpsrjqeu5rt.jpg

Lovely pic Sean!

It's nice to hear that the kit has settled in well. Two questions, firstly have you had any spoiler scrape yet? Secondly, how does the ride compare to standard suspension (if that's a far comparison to make - given yours if you had it was 20 odd years old I guess?! lol)

My suspension was refreshed and the shocks were about 40k old boge turbos. The B12s are a bit firmer but the ride is so much more controlled but then you are comparing midrange oil shocks with upper end gas. No scraping anywhere anyhow. I could get the front to scrape under heavy braking and I can't now!

My suspension was refreshed and the shocks were about 40k old boge turbos. The B12s are a bit firmer but the ride is so much more controlled but then you are comparing midrange oil shocks with upper end gas. No scraping anywhere anyhow. I could get the front to scrape under heavy braking and I can't now!

Jees - how heavy did you used to brake??!! lol

Thanks for the info, that's useful. I need to get around to refreshing my suspension soon. I was debating the B12 kit (which I knew really would be good) or going Eibach lowering springs and standard shocks - which did work really well on my MK2 Golf 16v.

Just to see how effective my new brakes were in comparison to the standard crap. I'd love some big AP's or something but they don't fit under my wheels and I like those too much to give them up for brakes, especially if the VW OE stuff can stop you so quickly when tweaked with braided lines and a Teves20 system. Better pads next for me!