Sean_Jaymo

Corrado Part Duex - 24V Aqua Blue - She's gone.

I keep hearing about rattley corrado's but I must have an exception, apart from the head unit which will be going in the bin soon I don't really have any even with coilovers and 17" wheels

Well it's that time of the year again. MOT passed with only a sticky fog light switch causing problems. Dismantled, cleaned, reassembled and all is good. A fraction under 8k done in a year.

Slowly taking apart, lining with felt and rebuilding the car in an effort to eliminate all the squeaks.

In other news, 12 years in the RAF has just about come to an end and I'm starting life in a civvi job next week so that will be a change of lifestyle!

I've been using foam tape, glue and felt wherever I find a creak or rattle. This can take some time!

In other news, I've been having issues with how much the rear of the B12 kit has settled, currently it is 30mm lower at the rear then the front so I'm currently having 60mm or so drop at the back and it's becoming pretty harsh to drive from the rear. The front is quite soft still so it makes the handling a bit interesting! I've contacted Bilstein and Eibach directly but they are being quite slow in helping out but Zak (mk3highline) who organised the initial group buy has been really helpful in trying to find me a solution through his contacts so a big thumbs up again for Zak! Front centre wheel to arch distance is 330/335mm and the rear distance is 295/305mm so quite a difference.

Looks nice, drives crap! A little googling shows that Eibach springs are a bit hit and miss when it comes to some Corrados. Either a quality issue or a car issue! I've had plenty of Eibach and Bilstein products over the years and this is the first time that I've had any issues at all so fingers crossed it is something that can be cured quickly and easily.

20150429_111032_zpsgi8ezhgs.jpg

Sean, that's bad luck, just ran into the garage to check mine, front is 330mm and rear is 325mm. It was even higher at the back until I took 25mm off the bump stops. Looks like you defo have a problem.

Thanks for confirming that for me Dave. It backs up my initial thoughts. I had a search through the forum and it appears that Purple Tom had exactly the same issue only that he used only the springs and not the B8 shocks as well. He had some new springs sent out and all was right again!

I've got faith in Zak being able to help me to a successful result! He's been great so far.

Well normally that's my motto when it comes to buying stuff in the first place and as I said before, I've never had a problem with either Bilstein or Eibach products. It's a shame that the first time I do, they are a bit slow to react.

Today's little experiment was to the brake system. I have always liked my brakes with the braided lines, 312 discs and Teves20 abs system. The only negative I could say was that it didn't feel all that modern after driving the wife's mk5. I was rummaging around in the garage this morning when I found the brake servo and master cylinder from the Bora I broke a few years ago and I wondered if it would fit or not. Got out the tape measure, checked a few dimensions and thought what have I got to loose! Where is the fun in a car that is working perfectly well?

I didn't take many pictures unfortunately as to be honest it's a brake servo and not too interesting!

First up, the brake servos in my possesion

20150510_131335_zpsxz0kx0qh.jpg

Top one is the standard Corrado VR6 servo with the mk3 Teves20 version to the lower left of it which has been modified to take the Corrado clevis and pin. The last one is the Mk4 version requiring modification to fit the clevis and pin. You can see that the Corrado and Mk3 servos are basically the same, the only difference being the fitting angle of the master cylinder and the Corrado version having the pedal position sensor. They measure approx 9x3 inches.

It's obvious that the Mk4 version is a lot bigger. It is still 9 inches across but is 5 inches deep. The Corrado and Mk4 have a diagonal fitment for the master cylinder and i'm sure that if you wanted to, you could fit just the servo and retain the Corrado master cylinder if you were that way inclined but I'd suggest that the smaller master cylinder diameter of the Corrado will cause the brakes to be a bit snatchy if stomped on quickly. The Mk4 cylinder is 24 mm which will give a more progressive pedal. I had a Mk3 cylinder already fitted so I had to either go back to the Corrado cylinder or use the Mk4 version, which is what I went with in the end.

A picture of it fitted

20150510_161538_zpsahoxvweq.jpg

Nothing much to see though. I do need to change the low level plug though. A job for tomorrow evening. It's also a bit difficult to see the level in the reservoir so I may look out for a new one or a different shaped version. If you have a stock VR intake, chances are that the refill cap will be in the way.

It works amazingly well and it can very easily stick you through the windscreen. Very very happy with the effort. Don't get me wrong, it's not a straight bolt in fitment and some modification is required to make it all work but it's worth the effort.

It's even more of a pig to fit with the engine installed. Those scratches on the inlet manifold are testimony to my efforts to get it in!

ah fark! i see , but worth it! love mods like this that actually make a difference! how did you modify the ball socket? cut and thread it?

Sure did. M10 x 1.5. It certainly makes a difference. Only big posh brakes seem more aggressive so I can only imagine what it is like if you add those posh brakes.

Nice work upgrading the servo, I drove mine today after ages (2-3years) and the brakes feel so different compared to modern cars

I thought the same, I quite regularly swap between modern cars and the Corrado and the first braking point everytime is a naughty little reminder at just how much brake technology and pedal feel has moved on due to driver demand.

Another day another update.

I've got another light on my dash. Any clues what it is for?

20150530_192441_zpscg3xctze.jpg

Need another clue? How about this?

20150530_192536_zps09o6lgzk.jpg

Awesome! Where did you get the stalk from? Had this in my mind to do once mines back on the road

Ebay.de Swifty!

I've not tested it as I have a intermittent clutch pedal switch problem which decided it wanted to be a fault today. Oh and my high pressure oil switch has died leaving me with annoying beep so it hasn't gone anywhere yet!