Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

New Corrado announced in AutoCar?!?!?

According to the Corrado-UK mailing list...

In todays Autocar: new rear-drive coupe, reviving the Corrado name. Available in next three years in coupe and convertible format. Mid-mounted 200BHP Turbo / 370BHP 3.6L V6 mentioned, matching Boxter S performance.

Pic: artist impression using the styling clues of the recent Concept R shown at Frankfurt show.

Tom

LeMans Blue M5

I'd like to say don't get too excited, people have been talking about a new Corrado for ages, so until there's an official VW press release, don't count on it :)

Ah, the old motoring press 'new Corrado' chesnut...at least it's nice that this keeps getting resurrected in the motoring press as something being possibly resurrected as a new great car with the all round ability of the good ol' C.

I'd love to believe its true... lets see if there ever is a Corrado MK2 :)

They've basically stuck a roof on the concept R. Looks quite pretty. I doubt very much that they'll call it Corrado but ya never know.

If it's in Autocar, it will be bullsh1t. The just publish ever rumour they hear. so if it just happens to come true they can claim they were the first to mention it.

a sh1t magazine, read by old pricks who know f*ck all about cars.

Was gonna say, Autocar/Motor is quite good and yeah, AutoExpress is the motoring equivalent of the Sun.

oh deffo most of the time autocar are spot on whereas autoExpress are normally way off

I've seen a quick scan of the pic in Autocar and all I can say is I think it looks nasty.

Irrespective of whether Autocar are right or not (still waiting for their prediction on the RS3), I fear that in the unlikely event VW ever build anything other than their current range, it's either going to be a 2 seater (al MR2, TT conv) or a large coupe (al la Pug 406 probably based on the current passat) as in big fat & lardy.

IMHO, part of the magic of the C, is down to it's size. We've all seen how the Mk4/5 Golf is twice the wieght of the original Mk1, if they don't do a roadster type, I'm fairly sure we'd end up with a barge coupe.

Since 2+2 is so unfashionable these days, I don't seriously think anything equivalent will be made (at least not by VW).

I have yet to see a modern car I would swap my C for (within realistic prices).

DtM.

if it does ever come out it will probably be like every other new car, boring and dull with little or no drivers feel. but it will have rain sensors :? whoopee! the mk1 version of everything is the best in my experience. just look at the golf.

There have been rumours of a coupe based on the new Golf V platform going around for a couple of years now. Bernd Pitchetschreider (VW chief) has mentioned his commitment to building one on a number of occasions.

I have to say though that I think the chances that VW will build a rear wheel drive 370bhp TT-slayer a bit hard to believe, because :

a) The Golf platform is for a FWD car

b) VW's has been "market positioned" at the luxury/comfort end of the VAG range.

In short, I'll believe this car when I see it, but it's nice to know they're at least testing the ground

John

corozin,

Don't think VW have the know for a rear wheel drive car.......And Audi wouldn't allow or be very happy about a chunk of the market going to vw for the 2 seater sports car.

Wonder if they would let you turn off the traction control....... ummm

a) The Golf platform is for a FWD car

Just build it the wrong way round.

And call it a "Megane" or something...

i have a sad feeling it wont be anything like we want. imagine if they had a team of corrado owners build the new version...mmmmm....it would be nice.

i have a sad feeling it wont be anything like we want. imagine if they had a team of corrado owners build the new version...mmmmm....it would be nice.

AND reliable! ;)

the concept C is going into production isn't it? Concept corrado? I dunno... What does the C stand for? It looks like a sports car although not very rado like.

I think the Concept C is fantastic, althought a Corrado with no roof is not something I had in mind, An up to date hardtop coupe, with the C's handling and charisma, wow! I think the Concept C could be it!

Wish they'd call it a Corrado, if only to have the name back on everyones lips again in a few years, and to have loads of articles comparing the (classic) original to the new one :)