happyeaster

Thinking about buying my first corrado

seen a nice 16v example yesterday. always admired them for there looks and seem to have a nice road presence but never really considered buying 1 until yesterday although have been on the look out for a nice affordable fun car.

what are the things to look out for in them. its 1989 with a couple of small rust spots although a very clean car. all the electrics seem to work including the rear adjustable spoiler.

im unsure if its a 1.8 or 2.0 i know they are not fast on todays standards but i want something fun and cool looking.

they're certainly fun and cool looking! Welcome to the forum and hopefully soon to Corrado ownership as well!

it seems to be a nice car to drive although the clutch will take a bit of getting used to. it seems very heavy although not as bad as the mk2 golf i have driven. i am used to modern cars with a lot lighter clutches.

there is a bit of rust just to the right of the corrado badge on the back although doesnt seem to be any sign of repair and seems to be a very original car with 5 original alloys.

1989 is pretty early for a corrado, but the earlier cars are imo prettier than later models. the car sounds fairly well looked after and original, if everything as you say works then go for it. they are brilliant fun to drive, 16v if well tuned is pretty good on fuel and can be modded pretty easily for more power if thats your thing. I've had 2 valvers and they were both fantastic! :) p.s early valvers with original alloys are rare too! p.p.s any pics?

​Tom

I have a 1989 valver and a vr6 now both are fantastic in there own ways , although my valver isn't far off my VR power anymore I find it handles a little better . You won't regret ever owning one

yea i think i will go for it if i can work out a good deal. i plan for it to be my weekend car although it will probably get used more than my other car as they are great fun to drive. it is red which is a colour i normally dont like but think they really suit it

Do it, do it, do it!!

once you fall for them they grip you & if your like most of us here it will make you smile every day :D

haha yeh buy it... that way u can join us all in our search for parts and scratching our heads wondering where all that oil goes ! lol

u wont regret owning one... :)

A 1.8 16v KR engine shouldn't burn more than about a litre of oil per 1000 miles, worst case (in my experience). Certainly more than that would worry me, personally :)

Edited by G-Lad

Do it.

...But do it with the anticipation of it needing some work - so don't spend all your money on buying it!

That's the best advice I can give you.

sorted a good deal out so im happy enough. its getting a full service, new brake pads and the one of the clutch master cylinders was leaking so getting it replaced full years tax and 6 months mot, cars just been valeted and its getting a detail at the weekend.

now to get insured which is pretty damn expensive since im 22

goes down though, i had a 1.8 16v 2 years ago (i was 26) and it was £250 fully comp. It was classic car insurance found by adrian flux. Worth ringing them, and get limited mileage added etc also if its a weekend car

My Valver burn't zero oil, and that was on 175k when it was totalled. As said have a look in the insurance section, seeing as you'd planned it to be a weekend car anyway, limited mileage would be a very good bet and bring the premiums down massively on a classic policy.

Corrado's have always suffered higher insurance(last year my insurance company wanted to same as my golf vr to insure my old corrado valver... that was limited mileage and garaged, go figure! lol.

Glad you went for it dude! you won't regret it. Tom

Bung as many different combinations of relatives on insurance as named drivers to see which is cheapest and another £50 onto excess, i once stuck both my parents on and it came down £175 and they're mid 60's!

Wonder if you get discount as the car is actually older than you? :)

Bet it'll look the business after the detailing is done too.

Hello, i would just like to add please try admiral, elephant or bell for your insurance, dont go through comparison sites though, im 21 and pay £550 a year on my VR, baring in mind thats with mum and step on the policy, 2 years NCB, and one year of owning the car.

Im pretty sure you should be able to get insurance cheaper then that because last year i only paid slightly more then what your quote is!

Also something to bare in mind is that if you need to pay monthly, different insurers will give you different interest rates, i took out an interest free credit card so i could pay annually and just pay the card back monthly, you can save a hell of a lot of money by just shopping around :)

Hope this helps, and im not too late!

Hello, i would just like to add please try admiral, elephant or bell for your insurance, dont go through comparison sites though, im 21 and pay £550 a year on my VR, baring in mind thats with mum and step on the policy, 2 years NCB, and one year of owning the car.

Im pretty sure you should be able to get insurance cheaper then that because last year i only paid slightly more then what your quote is!

Also something to bare in mind is that if you need to pay monthly, different insurers will give you different interest rates, i took out an interest free credit card so i could pay annually and just pay the card back monthly, you can save a hell of a lot of money by just shopping around :)

Hope this helps, and im not too late!

yea i think im going to get insured with elephant as it the cheapest although still nearly £800 with 3 named drivers and me as the policy holder. elephant, admiral and diamond all gave me similar quotes but all have to be paid upfront without monthly payments.

heavy clutch usually means a worn one, even if there is plenty of meat left on the friction disk just a mm worn and an old worn release plate and the effort will be greater, put a new one in my 8V when I got it and it's a pleasure to drive now, pretty much as light as the new clutch in my 1.6 mk4 golf.

Hello mate, nice one on owning a Corrado :thumbleft:

There is a insurance company called HIGHWAY,

if you contact them they might even be able to beat your £800 quote ?

As they have a large list of smaller brokers.

•Free legal protection service

•Free breakdown cover on all motor policies

•Huge savings with major insurers

•Instant cover available live online

•Instalments available

This is their contact details below.

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0844 4999410

Si