VW_OwneR_85

grill slats blanked off?

iv noticed that the top two slats on a genuine vw corrado vr6 grill are actualy blanked off? is this right? seems abit silly to block out that much airflow ,

Bit of a mystery this but I think it may have been designed for the colder northern european winter climates. My Storm came with this version and in the summer I now use the open slat version to keep oil temperatures down - makes quite a difference!

Vw made 2 different types of grill, summer and winter. Also, which is a royal pain in the backside, early style grills do not fit late cars or more specifically the slam panel.

ah no way makes sense , the cars should of come with both grills , rather then a warning triangle it should of been the summer/winter grill!!!!!!

I bought a new one from VW two weeks ago for my VR and it came with all slats open - it was the same part# as the original with covered slats, so maybe this was changes during production?

i have one of each, might experiment as my coolant gauge still reads low and i've now changed pretty much everything, including the whole engine :lol:

My 8v came with a half blanked grill. Yet the VR one is open. I can understand the reasoning though. The VR6 runs hot compared to the 8v. In fact, due to all the air space in the engine bay, the 8v barely registers on the move.

I'm thinking I'll open mine up as well, considering I'm installing air-con and it'll be exported to Australia

Mines a 94 vr with a single open slat. The car was originally from Guernsey.

nice, low miles then?

I'm thinking I'll open mine up as well, considering I'm installing air-con and it'll be exported to Australia

surprised you haven't already done it ;)

I had the old 7 slat one on my valver but it was cracked and i preferred the look of the 3 slat one so got one from the bay.

I knew already the lower lugs are in different places so just cut and re-attached were needed.

But yes, it was a blanked out one. Stuck it on anyway and it ran hot quicker, as these cars need air over the nose and dislike queuing (well mine did) I cut out the blanks and all was good if anything on the move ran lower than the 90 dead centre.

Advice would be cut one open not both and see how it goes. if need be then the other, this at least gives you more options instead of all at once.