Mawrick

Is it just me or is the Corrado "on par" with newer cars ?

I don't drive my Corrado very much, as I only use it as a "summer car" (We use a lot of salt and **** on our roads causing rust so the C stays at home during winter) - so my "Daily driver" is a 06 Passat 3.2 V6 (VR6) 4 motion.

BUT when I take out the Corrado I kinda find it "on par" with the Passat, when it comes to things like the "feeling of speed", I actually think I feel the sense of speed more in the Passat then the Corrado, and was just wondering what other people think - is it still on par with newer cars or is it just me ? :)

My Corrado is pretty stock vr6 with KW1 suspension.

That is quite natural mate next time you take out corrado get someone to follow you in passat and go along some country/windy road's that is where the corrado come's in to it's own plus of course newer car's seem swifter it's just cos they are easier to drive also you say your passat is a 3.2 which has vvt your corrado doesn't which does make a difference about 60bhp so if they feel on par with each other then really the corrado is doing well.

To me the Corrado absolutely feel on "par" - but then again I do a lot of driving on "country" roads - lots of "turnings"....;)

How would a well set up Corrado (ARBs, coilovers, fresh bushes) fair against a modern hatch such as a Clio, Cupra or type R through the twisties?

I am thinking there would not be a huge amount in it thanks to its low weight and centre of gravity.

I also found the Corrado felt slower than the Speedo said, but then again, Corrado speedos aren't known for their accuracy :D

I found the VR6 with cloth interior to be easily on par with modern cars for cabin quietness at speed. The only thing that let it down was no bulkhead sound deadening like modern cars have, so with the windows up, you get a lot of mechanical noises coming through into the cabin.

In terms of chassis, I'm afraid the Corrado is eons behind the modern stuff but it always was a car that was greater than the sum of it parts. I really miss mine some days!

VR6 Gar, my Corrado is a vr6 with bilstein suspension and I also own a standard Type R FN2. Being honest the Civic seems lightyears ahead of the Corrado in nearly every aspect, its handling is incredibly precise and it really is fantastic (The suspension is a bit hard though!).

As much as I love my Corrado the Civic is by far the better car.. even when it comes to twisty country roads :thumbleft:

The Corrado feels woefully old in comparison to my mk6 GTI. It just doesn't compare. It's older, noisier, doesn't feel as precise around corners, doesn't have the low down pull of a modern engine, and certainly isn't as comfortable. To keep up with modern cars you have to really hold onto the revs too.

But it has character that modern cars don't so I forgive it :)

Agreed, it's a fun car but even the Renault Kangoo we had last week on hols has a suspension system that doesn't crash over potholes, and that's a bloody van..

My Corrado is aging disgracefully..

I am not saying the suspension system isn't old hat in comparison with new stuff, of course it is going to be crashy and more twitchy, but the speed I can taker corners in the 'Rado is far faster than if I were in other halves E91 BMW. The grip levels, even in the wet I find to be very high but then I haven't driven a modern hatch so can't compare to them.

Not even a little bit on par...........in my opinion streets ahead!

Im very lucky to have a choice. Works caddy van. Works Audi A6 2.0TDI S-Line or my G60 Corrado. 9 times out of 10 its the van. Sometimes the Audi. If its sunny the Rado takes me to work. So in summary. They all get me to work fine. The Corrado draws a crowd outside work without fail and i actually look forward to the drive home and back. Rarely do i ever look forward to town driving otherwise!! Guess it all comes down to what you like. I like something with a bit of character and that makes up for all the lack of refinement and grace! Driving has become detached and unenjoyable. The Corrado for me is one of the last cars where it was just refined enough without becoming dull and dare i say it boring. There are a few exceptions of course but not many.

Ive found myself preferring to drive my more modern B5.5 Passat... as a daily at least. Getting out of it and into the Corrado, i find the corrado less comfortable and noiser. But it is a V6, with less sound deadening and it is 10 years older - the cabin creaks and rattles. The Corrado is alot more raw to drive. But its so much more of an event driving it than the Passat.

For me regardless if it gets out performed by modern cars, as said above, it draws the crowds, people asking questions about it and generally much more attention. Dont get that with the Passat. So imo its irrelevant about performance as the Corrado is so much more than that.

I think most modern hatches etc will be better and some of my recent cars Ive had i.e. Mk5 Gti, 130i, New Scirocco have been so much more competent than my VR however the one thing I always notice is how much feel I get in the Corrado. Things progress and I wouldnt expect the car to be on a similar level but with a few tweaks they are not far off.

Having just smartened up my C over the last couple of months, i really couldn't give a rats about newer, higher performance/spec cars.

I still get a charge driving the little beastie some 11 years since getting it, and now that it's looking just as smart as it did when i first got

it, even more so!! Enough said! :)

Well said that man!! :thumbleft: ^^^

---------- Post added at 5:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:39 PM ----------

I think most modern hatches etc will be better and some of my recent cars Ive had i.e. Mk5 Gti, 130i, New Scirocco have been so much more competent than my VR however the one thing I always notice is how much feel I get in the Corrado. Things progress and I wouldnt expect the car to be on a similar level but with a few tweaks they are not far off.

Well said that man too!! :thumbleft: