EJ Taylor

If you have not yet seen these, prepare to be enlightened!

Ok, a recent forum topic reminded me of a VERY "Special" item available for the infamous VR6. (and many others engines)

No you've got it all wrong, that only works on Corsas and Saxos as they are "special" :lol:

BEHOLD! The "ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER TURBO" THE BEST INVENTION I have ever seen!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbocharger-Electric-Supercharger-Turbo-VW-CORRADO-VR6-GOLF-GTI-TDI-/300940812233?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4611785fc9

Yes this is a real product. No honestly it is! It runs off your battery.

Im thinking of fitting 6, one for each cylinder. whos up for a group buy?

I just had to share it because the first time i saw these i almost did a poo.

Ha ha. Well if you believe that you'll believe anything... I'm sure that someone with a better understanding of thermodynamics than mine will be along very shortly to explain the reasons why this cannot be. Just as an indication, the supercharger on my Jaguar needs at least 30kW to drive it at full chat. All that tiny little turbine can do whilst being driven by a 40 Watt motor is to get in the way of the airflow generated by the atmospheric pressure as the engine runs normally.

I have searched briefly for the same advertiser offering nuclear fusion and another proposing an engine that runs on water. It's only a matter of time....

I just had to share it because the first time i saw these i almost did a poo.

lol, sadly in the pictures there is one strapped to a 2.0 vw engine!

:D

We mock, but there are some proper electric superchargers in development. Basically a turbo with the hot side chopped off and the turbine shaft hooked up to a motor instead.

I saw one on youtube the other day that had a motor with a special gearbox and that thing did actually make a lot of boost! The advantage of motors is max torque occurs at 0rpm, so they spin the turbo up immediately. Better than a mechanical charger. Better than an exhaust driven charger. Zero lag. In fact, it might boost up too quick!

All they need is an oil supply and can be mounted anywhere.

We laugh now, but they are coming!

They'll need a seperate battery though as the current draw will be very large.

:D

We mock, but there are some proper electric superchargers in development. Basically a turbo with the hot side chopped off and the turbine shaft hooked up to a motor instead.

I saw one on youtube the other day that had a motor with a special gearbox and that thing did actually make a lot of boost! The advantage of motors is max torque occurs at 0rpm, so they spin the turbo up immediately. Better than a mechanical charger. Better than an exhaust driven charger. Zero lag. In fact, it might boost up too quick!

All they need is an oil supply and can be mounted anywhere.

I've always wondered why no one has used an air con type set up for charge cooling

I wasn't laughing, there's no reason it shouldn't work (provided you are still metering the air correctly, i.e. the 'charger' is hooked up upstream of the MAF) and modern motors are very efficient. You just need one a lot larger and/or better quality than in the stupid eBay adverts!

I disagree with you on the second battery though - they'd be pretty worthless for fulltime use if they used more current than the alternator could provide as you'd just be slowly running your second battery flat. Swap out a couple of the high-draw items (radiator fans are a good example - there's a 50A fuse on the stock fan controller but my Spal replacement only uses 6.5A to move more air!) and you'd have plenty of beans left over; or you could fit a bigger alternator. I'd also prefer to add a spur onto the inlet tract rather than just bolting it to the front of the inlet, otherwise all your airflow has to go through the fan even when it's not running which would probably lose you some power when it wasn't running.

[edit: Or, you could use an auxiliary battery to drive the system, only at full-throttle, and recharge it off the alternator when it's not active. Like this one, which seems to show dyno gains of nearly 20bhp on a Mk4 VR6 ;)]

Stone

Edited by Stonejag