CazzaVR

Admiral- Don't touch with a barge pole!

Well, back in the New Year, someone bumped into me. Thankfully she admitted liability, and there was very little damage. However, trying to get it fixewd was a nightmare! Admiral handed everything over to Albany(?), who in turn told me the C was too old, so they handed the case back to Admiral... who then handed it over to Albany, who then... well, you get the picture.

It got fixed in the end, but I very nearly insured the cars with Chris Knott at renewal time, but reluctantly went with Admiral again as their multicar policy worked out quite a bit cheaper.

Last Friday, we drove down to the South of France for a week's holiday. Just before we got to Rouen, a tiny stone hit the windscreen. Within a couple of minutes, we had a 5cm crack, right in the middle on the driver's side. A couple of minutes later it was approx 20cm across. We managed to get to Larnagol in the south the next day, with the crack now a rather alarming 40cm.

Phoned Admiral and was told it was a bank holiday in France, so nothing could be done over the weekend. We were advised not to drive the car, as the crack was large and in the driver's view. We were then told we would have a call back on Monday morning. Monday morning came and went without a call, so we phoned them at 1pm and were put through to National Windscreens, who gave us a French contact number and a jobcard number to quote. After calling the number and a 30 minute conversation with my very limited French (the guys at the garage culdn't speak English), we were told that we could make the 2 and a half hour journey to their garage so they could 'Have a look' at the screen. They also told us that no one in France drove Hondas, so they probably wouldn't be able to get a replacement screen for at least a week. They also told us that there were very few mobile glass fitters in France. Great.

Called Admiral again. On hold for a while. Told it was National Windscreen's responsibility. Put through to National Windscreens again. Told that they couldn't do any more as they just have a network of garages in France who they don't have a 'direct link' with. WTF?! The woman then told me Admiral were dicking us around and it was ultimately their responsibility as our insurers to sort us out a replacement screen. She told me to be 'very firm and not take 'no' for an answer' when I spoke to Admiral again.

Phoned Admiral again. Was very firm :lol: 'Right sir, you have two options: find a replacement yourself and bill us, or wait until you are back in the UK to get it fixed' :lol: :lol: :lol: After advising us not to drive, they expected us to spend a week in France, followed by an 800 mile journey home before getting it fixed. The other alternative was to try and source a very rare windscreen with very limited French etc. Lazy, unhelpful fecking tw@ts. I am so cross with them. Terrible service- I asked the guy what the point of my insurance was and was greeted with silence. Muppet. We went round in circles, I spoke to a manager, but still couldn't get anywhere. I asked for a screen to be sent down from Paris as there is a dealer there, but they wouldn't even entertain the idea.They just couldn't be bothered. We decided to leave it as it was spoiling the holiday. Thankfully my sister has a 7-seater, so we all used that.

On Friday I tried phoning the complaints department to tell them we would be driving home with a dangerous screen etc and that I would hold them liable should anything happen. Hung up after being on hold for 30 mins. Emailed the complaints department. No reply :roll:

Thankfully we got home OK. I superglued and taped up the crack and drove carefully, avoiding potholes etc. I've taken photos of the screen inside and out, and will be billing Admiral for several hours of premium rate mobile phone calls from France. I'll also be seeking compensation for the stress caused and damage to the wiper blade caused by the screen today in the rain.

Moral of the story: Don't be fooled by the low prices- it's simply not worth the hassle. Stay away from Admiral!

That is a sorry state of affair's.When you said a rare windscreen was it the Corrado? I don't think i would have been happy letting some french numpties fit a screen to mine but you know what to do at renewal time get a new provider :thumbleft:

Following a small bump last year Admiral basically doubled our insurance premium for four cars in January this year. Managed to get two of the cars covered by Elephant Insurance for a lot less only to find out that they are basically run by Admiral!! I hate insurance companies - license to print money and need reigning in by the government imho.

2008 Honda Civic. Yeh, I was pretty aprehensive about getting a new one fitted over there, especially after speaking to the French garage. We also took it to a local garage- the guy actually laughed and basically said no one has these and it will be difficult to get hold of a new screen.

I'm just so annoyed at the complete and utter lack of effort and terrible customer care, with a potentially dangerous situation.

First thing to say is, well done for taking the Corrado to France, I intend doing the same for LeMans next year. Sod's law that something like this should happen though! I have insured my daily car for the last 2years with Admiral, they just about price matched (reluctantly) on renewal time. After your experiences I will be switching come renewal time next spring. Luckily, I haven't had any dealings with them outside of renewal time! I really hope that state of affairs continues with customer service like that!

That is really sad but it just highlight's how the french are about everyone else. Over here on good old blighty any car winscreen no problem over there if it isn't some crap piece of **** that they have made they don't want to know. No wonder we have been at war with these idiot's on numerous occassion's over the centuries. I would not ever entertain buying a french car as they are all cheap CRAP and taht is not from what other people have told me that is from working at one of there garage's as a valeter and witnessing the said CRAP.Sorry folk's i just really hate all french car's.:censored:

Not a fan of French cars myself but I think it's cool that the French people buy French cars & it's not their fault if you can't get a spare part for a honda when you're on holiday

I hold Admiral wholly responsible. They could and should have been able to source me a replacement and organise its fitment. That's why I pay them to insure me fully comp.

Moral of the story: Don't be fooled by the low prices- it's simply not worth the hassle. Stay away from Admiral!

"You get what you pay for" has never been truer these days but sadly, premium cost is by no means a reflection on the service you'll get. Even the big players can royally f'ck people over and will always do so if they can get away with it legally. Banks and Insurance companies are morally repulsive.

Vote with your feet,complain strongly and tell everybody that will listen,

Sad thing is,you don't know how bad/good an insurance company is,until you need them !

That's the same reason I left Brentacre,"windscreen fitters"or as I like to call them ********* lol

Sorry to hear of your troubles there Andy. Almost unbelievable! What a completely shambolic and ultimately quite dangerous performance from admiral. I'd threaten to take them to the insurance ombudsmen and/or involve lawyers if you don't get complete satisfaction and sizable compensation for all the hassle and stress during a family holiday. I would also write to the Chief Exec - often that will get wheels moving in an organisation if they take an interest.

Have had a little chat with a manager this morning. He's taken note of everything and assured me he'd call back once he'd listened to the calls etc. I will be writing to the FSA whatever, and Chief Exec is a good call too. I expect to be reimbursed for all the calls and the windscreen excess waived at the very least. We'll see...

Screen is being replaced tomorrow.

Right, just heard from the complaints manager. £75 excess waived, all phone calls will be paid for + new wiper blades. He has spoken to the guys involved and told them where they went wrong and apologised several times. Was very polite and phoned back when he said he would. Maybe could've pushed for more, but I thought his offer and the way he has dealt with this has been very satisfactory.

Will definitely be looking elsewhere at renewal time next year...

Well done that man. Sounds like you finally got to talk to the right person who actualy gave a sh1t about what happened to you.

Sadly, this level of service from insurance companies is becoming the exception rather than the rule these days - and it's about

time they started giving the service - and the cover for which we all pay for........ usually through the nose.