fla

directional tyres on rear?

I have directional tyres on the rear but on a roundabout recently the back end felt a bit 'slippery', as though it wanted to step out a bit. Perhaps being directional being the cause of this?

Only on the back as they don't rub the front of the wheel arch (waiting for the rear axle plates group-buy!)

Toyo Proxes T1-R btw.

I thought all tyres were directional? Its to direct water out when moving forward. If you look at the tread pattern on the T1R its a kind of V shape. If they were on the wrong way round then when you were moving forward, it would draw the water inward.

As long as you've got the tyres fitted in the right direction of travel you shouldn't have a problem. If they are running in the wrong direction then you'll get problems. should be an arrow on the wall of the tyre to tell you which direction the are supposed to be travelling in.

It would only make a difference if it was wet, and they were the wrong way around. You shouldn't mix across an axle, but different front to rear should be ok, really want 4 matching though. Whats on the front btw.

How good are your rear beam bushes?

Mine felt ok on islands/bends in the dry but would let go easily in the wet, I had them replaced and now feels like its on rails whatever the conditions

How good are your rear beam bushes?

Mine felt ok on islands/bends in the dry but would let go easily in the wet, I had them replaced and now feels like its on rails whatever the conditions

Good point - i've not replaced them as yet so perhaps this is the route to go down. Apparently Poly bushes improve the rear end without having the 'wobbly axle' syndrome of the 'passive rear steering'. anyone with comparative experience? I bought some bushes a while back from AVS, so might try and fit them soonish.

I went for standard bushes on Midland Vw's recommendation as they reckon the poly bushes are harsh and can cause the rear end to be skittish. I've got no personal experience of polys though. I like the feel of the rear now its been refurbed, gives a sharper but more predictable turn in.....just what you need on the way to Asda.

I think TT or R32 bushes are the recommended route for rear beam now? More positive than standard yet not as harsh as Poly.

I think TT or R32 bushes are the recommended route for rear beam now? More positive than standard yet not as harsh as Poly.

I think, you're thinking of the wishbone bushes...

Dragon - no.

Standards on the front (Westlake) which have a squarer shoulder than the Toyos, so could be considered as being slightly wider.

In fact that's why I swopped them to the front as they were scrubbing the front of the rear arch (pass side only).

I've always had 4 matching tyres on mine,a couple of directional sets,no bother,

About a month ago,I had to put two new tyres on the rear,different to the front.Mine now feels like yours ! The word skittish comes to mind.My rear beam bushes were changed last year with genuine VW parts,

I'm sure it's just having different tyres,I will be needing the fronts changed soon,they will be the same as the rears.

Hope this helps a little

much appreciated. I'll try swopping them back to the front once the rear axle plates are available, but also try replacing a pair to Toyos.

Skittish - absolutely spot on as to how my car feels right now in the wet!