Jon_vr6

Windscreen replacement

Right a crack appeared on my windscreen on the drive back from northampton on the drivers side top corner 15-20cm.

Anyway checked insurance and im covered(80 quid excess)but only through their approved fitter which I think its

Auto windscreens anyone used them?

Other option is the insurance pay 75 quid for a non approved fitter and I pay the rest and get it fitted by pauls (kips) recommended fitters autoplus who know what their doing?

Cheers Jon

Don't use Auto windscreens. In my experience they are most definitely not the option you want to replace your screen. Find a good quality alternative in your area, recommended by other customers. Hopefully guys on here should have some options for you to contact.

Looks like its going to be out of my own pocket then what is the point in insurance

I had to do similar recently but with Privilege. They paid £125 towards the cost of a fitter of my choice. The bill was going to be £200 for a standard screen or £235 for a 'tinted top' screen. I went tinted top, so paid £110, but if i'd gone standard, my contribution would have been the same as the excess. If they are going to pay £75, then it's like you are paying £50 more for your choice. Might make it feel less of an impact on your pocket. The other thing is to have a look at the bodywork that the screen sits inside. if it looks rusty now is the time for remedial action on that. I had mine sorted when i had the screen out. Welding in new steel in 4 places cost about £300 inc respray etc

D

I had to do similar recently but with Privilege. They paid £125 towards the cost of a fitter of my choice. The bill was going to be £200 for a standard screen or £235 for a 'tinted top' screen. I went tinted top, so paid £110, but if i'd gone standard, my contribution would have been the same as the excess. If they are going to pay £75, then it's like you are paying £50 more for your choice. Might make it feel less of an impact on your pocket. The other thing is to have a look at the bodywork that the screen sits inside. if it looks rusty now is the time for remedial action on that. I had mine sorted when i had the screen out. Welding in new steel in 4 places cost about £300 inc respray etc

D

Mine looks alright rust wise cant see any but as alot of people have said the rust lies underneath. Will hopefully be giving the yorkshire lads (who have done numerous corrados on here) a ring tomorrow. Crack is increasing in size so needs sorting sooner than later

Jon,

I used auto+ and they were able to go through my insurer to reclaim the cost. They are great, give em a call as they could be able to do the same for you.

Jon,

I used auto+ and they were able to go through my insurer to reclaim the cost. They are great, give em a call as they could be able to do the same for you.

Do you think they'd mind coming over to manchester (stockport area)? Can only ask i suppose

What screen did you get fitted by them a Sekurit or Pilkington?

On the insurance side ive read the small print and they only payout if i use their recommended fitter, if i choose my own they pay a max of £75 towards the cost

Do you think they'd mind coming over to manchester (stockport area)? Can only ask i suppose

On the insurance side ive read the small print and they only payout if i use their recommended fitter, if i choose my own they pay a max of £75 towards the cost

Jon i have sent you a PM

Give em a call mate and tell them who you are insured with and where you are. Cant rate them highly enough.

Give em a call mate and tell them who you are insured with and where you are. Cant rate them highly enough.

Gave steve a call and all I can say is was a pleasure to deal with knew his stuff top bloke. Simons coming over saturday to get the new one fitted...should be a pilkington screen or some other make as was told the original ones are no longer available

Gave steve a call and all I can say is was a pleasure to deal with knew his stuff top bloke. Simons coming over saturday to get the new one fitted...should be a pilkington screen or some other make as was told the original ones are no longer available

My screen fitter got me a Sekurit screen earlier this year ?

I told you they were a great team! You won't be disappointed mate, there's not many screen fitters about who take pride like they do! Make sure you have plenty of tea bags!

Hi, Can only emphasize check the body work where the screen was fitted. Mine had major rust in that area, talking to body shops about the repair it is a common problem with 80s & 90s cars when the screen has been replaced and bare metal is left untreated and unpainted. Make sure any bare metal is treated and painted. I had no idea of the little surprise lurking as there were no visible signs until the screen was out.

Have you got all the seals and trim pieces? I think they are all obsolete now.

Im leaving everything up to Simon a new screen should come with all trim pieces already with it. As for rust yep ive heard all the stories im just hoping mines alright

Hi Jon , hoping everything is ok for your new screen fitting . Should you have any problems the pillars are still available from VW . Just saying , hopefully you won't need them ! .

Cool mate cheers cant see the whole lot needing replacing i think at most a trip to bodyshop for a repair hope not though

Hi Jon , hoping everything is ok for your new screen fitting . Should you have any problems the pillars are still available from VW . Just saying , hopefully you won't need them ! .

I tried to get the pillars earlier this year but the dealer said they were obsolete. They said that they are a single part going from the sill up the A-pillar then back above the doors. Is that what you got? I don't need them now, but if you have the part no.s that you got handy, it may help someone.

D

Edited by dalhalvaig
rubbish typing

Endless supply of tea bags here, ill buy a selection of biscuits too

Dont make the rest of us look bad! ;)

They mentioned dealer screens were getting difficult to find when mine went in.

Is your current screen original?

Its a sekurit one mate so a genuine one. Im under the impression its the original 1st screen but who knows.

Yeah he said the last 2 sekurit ones were brought in from germany that they used on customers cars. Dont see what the fuss is having original one as its going to come to a point where everyone is going to have to use an alternative make.

I could really do with having my screen replaced too. It's not cracked or stone chipped but it is 16 years old and scratched a bit.

Anyone know a good fitter around Bristol?