Bs6VR6

Struggling starting this build thread??

992_zps2vafzwvr.jpg

995_zpseocykbj5.jpg

These are just a couple of photos showing the new o2j mk4 gear shifter, this is now installed, only thing I still need to get is the mk4 selector tower for the gearbox, proving a far harder task than I first thought, but will keep my eyes on ebay hoping one comes up.

1077_zpsm2ziqdnf.jpg

1082_zps5mkommsy.jpg

1157_zpsgvmtrzlz.jpg

1161_zpsg7uhff6b.jpg

Just a couple to show the new Hella rad with revotec fans. Due to the radiator not having the lip top and bottom the fan brackets wouldn't fit. I toyed with the idea of getting a frame made up but when it boiled down to it, for £10 I thought id try the revotec fitting kit, to be fair they seem to work very well, fans are rock solid, no movement at all and look quite tidy once fitted. You can also see the fitment for the mocal, ended up cutting an oval out of the radiator support and feeding the hoses through this, is far neater, and there is now a nice bit of slack on each line so feel much more comfortable with this set-up.

1131_zpsjzvptin1.jpg

This turned out to be a total result. I work for BT and it transpires that both the tube and connectors we use to blow fiber optics fit as a perfect replacement to the standard tubing VW used for the central locking system. I stupidly misplaced a few sections during the rebuild so being able to use this was a total result. Internal diameter is slightly larger by eye, so may take the pump a tad longer but at least I know it is all new and air tight. If anybody requires any, tube or connectors, let me know, I'll be able to post some off as long as you cover postage.

1142_zpsrda0twby.jpg

1165_zpsnky1tvcu.jpg

1164_zps5uvxn0pl.jpg

1163_zpsiva3t0cj.jpg

The top photo shows what I have been using to replace the standard felt. Every bit of trim has had the felt replaced with this. It is 1mm self adhesive neoprene. Bought a massive 2m x 2m sheet for about £15, I also used it to replace the foam on the heater flaps and after getting a battery hooked up, result, the fans now actually direct the air correctly, rather than just venting into the dash, lol. so far it appears to work very well, certainly stops any squeaks from trim panels rubbing and so easy to work with.

1180_zpstqhl91bj.jpg

Just offered the hoses back in as once I get the throttle body these are ready to be connected up. painted the bottles black as I just didn't like how faded they looked even after running them through the dish washer twice. You can't see from the photo but I left a small section on both the header tank and PAS bottle taped, this was removed when dry and allows me a little window to still be able to check fluid levels. quite pleased with how the bay is starting to come together now.

1140_zpsqan2knv3.jpg

Final photo shows my completed engine loom, Richard is just finishing off the car loom and all things going well should be collecting both from him at Ultimate Dubs next sunday. Quite excited actually as my looms will be on display along with his Corrado as a demonstration of the work he can offer. Now I would like to make some mention of this car but have been sworn to secrecy, suffice to say its going to be quite a motor, its debuted will be there and I cannot wait to see it in the flesh, even if it will make mine pail in comparison.

There you go, I know it wont be to everyones taste, I have made no effort to keep it oem, but I like to think its kept all that makes a corrado so special but with tweaks in all the right areas. It's no show pony, is a bit rough around the edges but is the first car I've ever really modified, and considering I've had no formal training and pretty much learned as I go, I think I've done a pretty good job.

A massive thank-you to everyone who has helped along the way with advice, parts or whatever, I literally couldn't of done it, nor would I of even attempted it without the help of this forum, so thanks everyone, you've made this whole project a reality:thumbleft:

She should be finished by the 3rd week of March, after nearly 2 years I cannot tell you how excited and apprehensive I am. Fingers crossed she starts with no major issues and look forward to catching up with you lot at a few shows this year.

Cheers,

Max,

Edited by Bs6VR6

Great work bud!! Sorry about last weekend, day went nowhere near according to plan ending up with me dropping my brother back to peehead way later than planned! Looks like you're coming on great though, will shout next time i'm your way.

Well, well, well. There appears to be another 3.2 24v corrado alive and kicking in the south west. Full update coming tomorrow with pics and vids. Failed the MOT on a number of small stuff that, to be honest I just overlooked in the rush to get her finished.

Things I learnt today:

The length of the hollow tube on mocal oil coolers is critical to oil staying in the engine.

Rolling roads are quite scary

Budget tires and large v6 engines are a bad combination.

Seeing the bloke who just mapped your car doing a massive smokey burnout in your car is a rather conflicting sight, emotion wise.

Proper update tomorrow. Suffice to say she is alive and well.

Max.

I dont know how i missed the rest of this thread . Great work going on here . Where abouts are you in the southwest ?.

Great news! I'm still making slow progress on the mk2 that needs selling to fund the rest of mine, so you're way ahead now! Look forward to seeing it somewhere sometime soon.

Right then, basically she flopped the MOT, we were literally screwing the front lights back on at 3:10 and the MOT was half past. All to try and make it to volksfest, but alas it wasn't to be. too little time and a frazzled brain meant it failed on a multitude of stupid stuff, such as fusebox not correctly restrained horn not working, no washer fluid and missing passenger seat belt buckle(it didn't have a passenger seat in it at the time so thought that a little harsh!) but on the plus side its all problems that can be remedied in an afternoon. it failed slightly on the emissions as well but Ill get JPR tuning to just lean it back a bit and then save it as an MOT map and then go for a pure performance one once the issues with the VVT are sorted, which is nice.

few pics of the build again, tinkering and such, oh and also a pic of the rear bench as i'm not sure I posted it before.

078_zpstuf6i1az.jpg

063_zpssfvgci5j.jpg

097_zpsanaddlye.jpg

144_zps7idmue8i.jpg

145_zps6enkwszf.jpg

The bottom two photos were taken at Ramp it up which is a rent a ramp place in Hallen near Avonmouth in Bristol. I used to ride mountain bikes years ago with one of the blokes that run it and there a sound bunch. Used it to do a gearbox oil change and service on the old mans golf, will always go back for any jobs now, made everything wonderfully easy. Rates are good as well.

Anyway, getting her out the garage was fun and involved removing two of the wooden panels part of the stud work, right pain in the ass and involved probably a 30 point turn in the process, however this did reveal a complete lack of any weird knocks clunks or groans so that was a good start.

177_zps1wtcwy74.jpg

178_zpsgkrbfhs2.jpg

184_zpsynxsaj0u.jpg

182_zpsbmxw2ibi.jpg

179_zpsnws8bc1y.jpg

Then had to load the thing onto the trailor, managed to borrow one from the store man at work who goes racing himself, the car only just fitted width wise.

Tracking was funny, when I told the bloke wed eyed it all in, in a dark garage I think he thought I was joking, Ill post the before and after pics, they all seemed to find it highly amusing.

Then to the rolling road it went. I had always assumed I would love the experience of having the car mapped, pushed on the rollers hearing it scream and all that but the actual experience is horrendous. Hearing 2 years of work and countless bolts and jubilee clips roaring at 5 and a half k two feet from your head is a very unsettling experiance, I was actually in the car when the Maocal cap decided to give me a massive fluck off and part company. My fault, It was a second hand kit in in my ignorance hadn't questioned the length of the internal tube. Basically it was too short so when tightened it only had about 3 threads holding it on. At 3k just building up the revs the whole car jolted to the left so I immediately put it in neutral and hit the brakes and then noticed the oil. the oil EVERYWHERE. all over the bay, all over the rollers down inside the rollers. Bout an hour and 5 litres of brake clutch cleaner later...

Basically there was bout 3 litres of oil left in the sump, no metal bits and car has now been mapped and no weird noises and John and Jim who do the mapping seemed pretty happy with how it performed. At one stage they had to put extra cooling into the rolling road as it was getting a bit hot when the car was pulling hard in 4th so I was happy with that :thumbleft:

188_zps79xabhu8.jpg

189_zpsr5rovtq7.jpg

th_202_zpsbwdk2tbr.mp4

The video is crap, it was just taken when they were doing some initial setting up. During the harder final runs I was tasked with holding a little laser thermometer thing pointed at a core plug on the block and had to gesticulate wildly should the temp hit 100deg.

Gimme a week and ill sort the bodywork get all the bits finished for the MOT and ill take a couple more photos once seats are in etc. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Max

Edited by Bs6VR6

Ahh another one struggling with emissions, I hadn't even thought it be an issue with the age of the engine but I'm having horrendous issues. Definitely reckon the car should go full Red... Best colour

Bloody hell, been a while since the last update. Anyway, had to take the old girl in for her second MOT, and low and behold a week before the drivers door handle decides to retire. Anyway, with some faffing and help from Dave16v and a working handle fitted she was left in the hands of the garage. 3 hours later got the call and she flew through, only one advisory for a small oil leek around sump plug.( I told them I had done an oil change 20mins before I dropped her off so was decided it was just a bit of residule from that)

3,300miles since she was all bolted back together and bar the whole wheel/M4 incident has been wonderfully reliable.

Just need to get the VVT sorted and then think about paint, but yeah all good to be fair. I'll put some pics up next couple of days as the new front seats have been fitted and the interior is looking rather swish.

Such a fun car, do love the Corrado.

Max,