robrado974

Back to a non starter , spluttery again !!!!

Coil was tested at the road side , I'm sure it's fuel , think I'm going to change the filter first , then if no joy , check the pump and the lines .

Hey Rob, sorry to read your troubles. Is there a chance the fuel line could be corroded and restricting the fuel?

Could be matt , when I remove the filter I will check it out , also now I have a replacement pump fitted I can fit the new Bosch fuel pump even though it's got a bit broken at the top , hopefully it should not matter . What I didn't know at the time was they changed the pump in 93/94 .So you get your new pump follow the distructions , the last thing to go on is the sender , then you find out the 92 sender does not fit the new pump !!! . Anyway as said the sender I have from the 95 pump which is in the car now should fit the Bosch pump . All in all this has cost me a lot of dough .

Little up date , the VR has started every time in the past few days , I'm thinking I'm going to wait till it doesn't start then check the flow from the pump and change the filter . Just updating for future reference for the search .

Rob

Edit Been out in the car today , against my better judgement as it could have broken down again , but it was fine , went out again to drop the kids back to their mums ,again no problems .

Edited by robrado974

Thought i would up date this , the car has started everytime since it broke down , it may have been the morrisons fuel issue as i have been using their fuel , hopefully the redex has helped . The new ht leads went on ,on friday night , ive been driving it all day ,with no issues . Lets hope it stays that way !

Rob

Well after a few weeks , the problem has returned rearing its ugly head . I started it this morning and left it to warm up ,it was spluttery on start up, when i got in the car it stalled and then it just turned over and didnt fire .Im going to see if i have fuel at the pump by disconnecting the fuel line to it and cranking it ,it should spurt fuel , also got a new filter from tps today . If i still cant solve it im going to throw a cover over it and walk away !. A mechanic said i doubt the injectors a blocked , other than low crompresion which i doubt as well as when it runs it pulls like a train and drives lovely .Nothing worse than an intermitant problem is there ?!!I could go out sunday morning to do the checks and it could fire up which means i cant find the problem .

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Have you checked injector flow rate and pattern Rob? Same with compression, both are cheap and easy to check so well worth doing, even if its just to rule them both out mate.

Yeah it's worth checking Sean , tax has run out now so it will be sorn , so I have time on my hands . Nothing worse than it being taxed and you can't drive it !

Rob

I recon it won't start at all when it start troubling ? (tried cranking for quite some time ?). - See you have a replacement pump - and just thought I'd flag a fix I did with my VR6 (only related to hot start problem on mine though), but VW had some problems with some of the VR6 pumps, where the check valve in the pump wouldn't hold pressure.

the fix is obsolete now - but it's basically only a hose and a non return valve, but in between the fuel line and the fuel pump.

(Kinda doubt that is your problem though as you have same problem with 2 pumps - but just thought I'd mentioned it - it's a cheap/easy thing to try anyway). (8mm check valve on ebay and a short string of fuel line (8mm) :) )

I have replaced the filter today and checked the fuel is pumping from the pump . Still no joy , i will be doing other tests that people have advised me to do ,at the weekend . Mawrick you have a pm . Thanks for everyones help so far .

Rob

Had an early day today so i got on with looking at the starting problem again . Ive checked for fuel at the rail again and made sure i have a spark . Both are fine . Im doing the compression test at the weekend , but unsure how to check flow rate on injectors , i had a look on the web and it looks like you need special tools to do it ?. Just to recap as im still at a total loss .

I have checked the coil , new ht leads , new dizzy , new crank sensor , cleaned all connections ecu ect . I have fuel delivery and have a spark . Can anyone come up with any other things to check please . I just dont know what to do now !

Just pull each injector in turn and stick it in an empty transparent water bottle. Prime the engine and take a look at the spray pattern. It'll be obvious if it crap as it should be a fine mist and not dribble out like a cracked open tap. Mark the bottle where the fuel reaches and move onto the next one to compare flow rate and pattern. New seals will more than likely be needed when recurring though, but they're pretty cheap.

Thanks sean , just been talking to chris langers and he thought a bad earth somewhere or the injectors as they are getting on a bit [150k] . They are around £80.00 to be cleaned .Oem price on ebay is staggering !. Will see what the weather is doing at the weekend and report back .

Rob

Ignition switch...

I asked the question today Andy , if it would still spark with a dodgy ignition switch and the answer was no , i have a spark so i think i can rule it out .

Rob

I've got a spare set of injectors you can play around with and test buddy.

What a pain it can't be traced to something easily.

I've got a spare set of injectors you can play around with and test buddy.

What a pain it can't be traced to something easily.

A pain is one word for it matt , its very frustrating . Matt that would be great if i could borrow these ,any idea how many mlies they have done ? Thanks mate .

A pain is one word for it matt , its very frustrating . Matt that would be great if i could borrow these ,any idea how many mlies they have done ? Thanks mate .

I think they have done somewhere in the 100k - 120k. Came off a Golf VR6.

A small update ,my friendly mechanic is coming round next monday . I was doing a few jobs on sunday and decided to try starting the car , it was sputtery but started the second time . Once the tools were away i tried again and it would not start ,just turned over and backfired . I have just tried again this evening , as it was dark and wanted to check the spark . I had a spark ,so put the plug back in and it fired first time . Tried turning it off and on several times and it started no problem . I can also here the pump working and the relay click .The ignition switch has now been replaced as well. I will find this problem if its the last thing i do !!!.

Maybe a bad earth??

Yeah it could be clumpy , the one next to the dizzy looks fine , i think theres another on the starter motor ? any more i need to be aware of ?.

Thanks Rob