robrado974

Back to a non starter , spluttery again !!!!

Yeah it could be clumpy , the one next to the dizzy looks fine , i think theres another on the starter motor ? any more i need to be aware of ?.

Thanks Rob

Rob I'm no mechanic like some of the chap's on here the reason I said it was my mate was putting bulb's in his foglight's of his mk2 cavalier last night put driver's in checked operation fine put passenger in checked no go went further back the wiring tried it with tester getting current with bulb not enough to light it. Conclusion bad earth he wired in an earth straight to battery bob on both fog's working He is a mechanic I think you just need to try and eliminate everything till you find it. Hope you get it sorted soon mate ;)

Hi Dox , temp all three were changed in 2011.

Rob

If you have the old engine / ecu temp sensor I'd try that. If non genuine I'd buy new OE tbh

Rob I'm no mechanic like some of the chap's on here the reason I said it was my mate was putting bulb's in his foglight's of his mk2 cavalier last night put driver's in checked operation fine put passenger in checked no go went further back the wiring tried it with tester getting current with bulb not enough to light it. Conclusion bad earth he wired in an earth straight to battery bob on both fog's working He is a mechanic I think you just need to try and eliminate everything till you find it. Hope you get it sorted soon mate ;)

Yep its back to the drawing board and start again mate . Im not bad at finding my way round a car mechanicaly ,its the electrics im sketchy on , the use of multi meters and so on .

If you have the old engine / ecu temp sensor I'd try that. If non genuine I'd buy new OE tbh

Ecu temp sender ? i thought the vr has the three in the block and thats it .Mines a 92 by the way .

Rob

Ecu temp sender ? i thought the vr has the three in the block and thats it .Mines a 92 by the way .

Rob

One of them will be for the ecu to calculate fueling, this will give all sorts of problems hot / cold starting if faulty.

brown for A/C

BLUE FOR ENGINE TEMP

yellow for instrument gauge

Blue should read 5-6.5K ohms at 0 degrees C / 1K ohms at 50 degrees C

All above from Bentley manual

brown for A/C

BLUE FOR ENGINE TEMP

yellow for instrument gauge

Blue should read 5-6.5K ohms at 0 degrees C / 1K ohms at 50 degrees C

All above from Bentley manual

Ive just looked in my manual , its states the third hole in the block housing should have a plug , unless you have air con , mine does not so why do i have three senders ?

Rob

Ive just looked in my manual , its states the third hole in the block housing should have a plug , unless you have air con , mine does not so why do i have three senders ?

Rob

The Blue ones the important one, I'd guess it would cost as much to make a dummy sender as it would to make a real one?

It's not a dummy one it has wires coming out of it , guess I will have to follow it to see where they go .

Edited by robrado974

This sounds exactly like the problem I've been having with mine over the last few months. I tried most of the things you did, new fuel pump, new filter etc etc. On mine it turned out to be a slight voltage drain at the fuel pump which started off intermittent and eventually became so permanent the car refused to start. Unfortunately when I first checked I was by myself and had to sort of tape the multimeter probes in the the pump connector and assumed the slight drop was due to the fact they weren't quite touching properly. But it was genuine! When I tied the pump directly into a 12v battery she fired right up. I couldn't be bothered to pull the car apart tracing the point of the drain so I ran a new feed wire from the fuse box and it's been perfect ever since.

Hopefully will try and make some headway tomorrow in finding the problem .Roger c is coming over armed with a vagcom , (thankyou Sean as it belongs to you ).I have my new multi meter , so fingers crossed we can find the fault . Hopefully it will not start as it may make it easier to find the problem . Nothing worse than an intermittent fault ! Nice to chat with you today Rog and many thanks for your offer of help , it's much appreciated .

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Ok so today Rog came over and we had a look at the car . Unfortunately the vagcom lead was for a later car so we could not use it . the only thing we could find was a dodgy reading from the coil , it may not mean its broken but im not 100 percent on it . Cleaned other ignition related leads and tested the hall senser which appeared to be ok .So other than getting a second hand coil and fitting that im still at a loss really . I dont want to get a new one for the sake of it as they are expensive . Many thanks to Rog for sparing the time to come out and help me using the multi meter and check various things was great to meet you .

Rob

No chris we ran out of time , I will check it , so I can rule it out . Not sure that that would cause the engine to start one minute and not the next though ?

Rob

I went to devon dub shack to pick up a coil on the way home from work today . Connected it up and the car has started every time so far . As this has happened before all i can do now is to start it in the morning and when i get home from work . I still need to test the fuel pump connector and that will be done on sunday . Dare i say its sorted ? nah not yet !

Rob

I give up , I surrender !!! After the car starting every time , it's now back to a non starter yet again . Time to get an auto electrician on the job I think . Going to give him the manual ask him to check every single electrical item related to fuel , ignition and alarm . I have to walk away from it now I've never known a problem to give me the hump so much .Yours extremely frustrated and pi@@@d off Rob

Edited by robrado974

ah sux buddy, come back to it , iv never really had a problem like this but I would say its worth replacing the temp sender for ecu as that does influence fueling and you did say it back fire once upon start up then died? over fueling/flooding? , might be worth unwrapping the wiring harness in the bay {maybe remove inlet manifold to aid this} and look for breaks/problems in any wires, or remove it from the car completely and then re wrap it with nice new loom tape. good luck!!

Thanks mate , will keep it in mind , ive kinda lost the love and the will at the moment just sick and tired of it . Im sure it will come back !

Rob

Thanks mate , will keep it in mind , ive kinda lost the love and the will at the moment just sick and tired of it . Im sure it will come back !

Rob

I got p1553d with mine a few weeks back , I thought idd spend a week sorting out the rust on my wing , at the same time found an oil leak coming from the chain caseing , then spotted grease all around the inside of the drivers side wheel! {cv boot split} ah! I wasn't happy!! as the wing repair took a lot longer then expected , plus then had to strip the front end +inlet manilfold to find this oil leak, then order new seals n stuff from vw, then spent a day sorting out cv joint , had to remove the driveshaft as I couldnt get the room to hammer off the cv joint, covered in grease :( wasn't the funnest part of corrado ownership that's for sure!!

Do not give up , it's just another test of patience , you need to find out if it's fuel or ignition, have you checked compressions? Is the head gasket on the way out? Pm some info and will try and help