Benjevw

VR6 won't fire!

Hi guys

The other day my car decided to not start, I tried it a few times with no luck but then on the 5th or 6th time it started up fine!

Drove home and turned it off and on again a few times with no problems but after I'd left it for a few hours it didn't want to start again!

Now I'm at the point where it won't start at all!

The car turns over but won't actually fire up!

I've done a search and came back with the conclusion that it's either the ignition switch or the crank sensor!

Can anyone shed any light on it as it can't stay on my girlfriends drive for too long lol.

It's a dizzy (93') Vr6 btw

Thanks in advance

Ben

You dont say if you have done any tests yet . Have you got a spark , have you got fuel ?. Why the crank sensor ?, if you have had it on a vagcom and the sensor came up , its because it will always come up as a fault without the engine running . I have exactly the same issues atm , and its very frustrating . Ive exhausted all the usual suspects , so i put it in a garage for them to check it . The fuel bar pressure was fine but they said the fuel regulator had gone , with a new one on it ran for two weeks then back to the same non starter , same as you . I broke down got towed back , left it till the morning and its started every time ,first time since . The only thing i have done is put some redex in the fuel because of whats going on with morrisons fuel atm . Ive changed the pump as well . Ihad this problem about two years back as well , i put on a new dizzy , spark plugs , hallsender , cleaned every ignition plug , cleaned all the throttle body and isv , checked for splits and holes in any hoses around the maff and throttle body . Nothing came up on the vagcom it was free of faults .Also had loads of checks to do with a multimeter[thanks to the late great Chris RW1] After all this it would not start , we had a fag and a tea , me mate said go on , one more try and it started !!.Now two years later i am in the same position as you , I am now waiting until it will not start again so i can check the pump to see if its got an intermitant problem , if thats ok i will change the filter even though its done very low milage as there could be a bit of crap floating around somewhere obstructing the fuel line . Finaly i have some new ht leads to go on as mine are corroded .

As said start at the basics ,spark and fuel .

Rob

Edited by robrado974

I haven't had chance to check anything yet mate!

Sounds like you had quite an ordeal with it, I guess I was looking for an easy fix lol

Ill have a look tomorrow

Cheers bud

Ben

It could be a simple and easy fix , let the forum know how you get on , as it helps people with similar problems when they use the search .

I had an issue like this, I changed the fuel pump and ecu relays and that cured it. Fuel pump is no.167 unsure of ecu but worth checking before you start pulling the engine apart.

Is it only "warm" start that's trouble ?.

If so I replaced many parts on mine related to starting issues - in the end I resolved it with putting in a non-return valve between the fuel pump and the hose

I used this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271061850109

but any check valve would do, just make sure it's 8mm. would reccomend getting some fuel hose as well so you don't have to cut the original fuel line.

Some more info in this thread:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=82988&p=989046#post989046

Cheers for the advice guys.

So this morning I turned the key and it started first time. Drove it up the road to put some fuel in and drove back with no problems! Once I got back I turned it off and left it a few minutes..... Tried it again and it just kept turning over and over. I can hear the fuel pump prime and the fuel pump relay clicks once. ( I did notice that the relay was hot to the touch within a couple of minutes if running) .

Fiddled around with the distributor and coil for a minute then tried again and it started......

Turned it on and off a couple if times after that and it started every time as it should!

I'm going to change the fpr just for peace of mind then ill report back.

Cheers

Ben

In the past when mine has done this, i take off the fuse box cover and wiggle the relays about, seemed to work most times, but could of been a coincidence, i ended up buying a couple of new relays and not had the problem since.

If it'w hot start problem only I bet it's either the relay or that non return valve thingy :)

don't think the relay should get *that* hot though - is it black or grey ? (I think later "fixed" ones was grey, but I'm sure someone will correct me if my mem doesn't serve me right :) )

Relays will get warm. There's only a small voltage going to them to "energise" them but holding current is very small. Remember its a magnetic field holding it on, and heat will naturally occur and is an accepted energy loss. It shouldn't get too hot to touch though.

Hi guys.

It's now fixed thanks to a new ignition switch!!

The old one was loose and didn't have that awkward screw in it so that made the whole thing a lot easier :)

Popped the new one in and firmly cable tied it.

It wasn't an oem part that came out so got a new one from TPS for £25 +vat.

Started up strait away :) woooo

Cheers for all the thoughts and advice guys.

Ben