vw bobby

Disaster Today

Have you checked to make sure your brakeline's aren't rubbing as braided brakeline's would do this.

The tyre has been catching on the suspension or inner wheel arch over the last 4 weeks or so. Eventually, today, the side wall wore through to the point that tyre pressure was high enough to split the remaining wall.

There could be a possibility, but less likely, that the tyre was running too flat - when was the pressure last checked?

I'm not sure what you are saying in regards to spacers & adaptors - it sounds like you've bought G23 adaptors that are too thin then running with spacers as well? This will not in any way cause whats happened, but points towards you not having a clue as to the difference between a good and bad idea. I may come across as sounding harsh, but I assure you it is intentional - you need to get all this sorted properly, not just chuck a replacement tyre on and hope for the best.

The tyre has been catching on the suspension or inner wheel arch over the last 4 weeks or so. Eventually, today, the side wall wore through to the point that tyre pressure was high enough to split the remaining wall.

There could be a possibility, but less likely, that the tyre was running too flat - when was the pressure last checked?

I'm not sure what you are saying in regards to spacers & adaptors - it sounds like you've bought G23 adaptors that are too thin then running with spacers as well? This will not in any way cause whats happened, but points towards you not having a clue as to the difference between a good and bad idea. I may come across as sounding harsh, but I assure you it is intentional - you need to get all this sorted properly, not just chuck a replacement tyre on and hope for the best.

I here what you are saying mate, I think the 20mm adapters are the right size, any bigger I would need to bring my arches out and do not want to that. I personally think it is the camber that may of caused the the tear in the tyre, so I will take the camber out and see the difference. Although I am thinking I may sell my wheels and get something else as well.

Thanks for the advise mate, also I did not take it intentional, just fact.

Hey bobby, live and learn I guess. At least you and the car are fine, like someone said previously it's only a tyre and maybe time for some different rims.... Shame though as those corvette? rims are sweet!

I here what you are saying mate, I think the 20mm adapters are the right size, any bigger I would need to bring my arches out and do not want to that. I personally think it is the camber that may of caused the the tear in the tyre, so I will take the camber out and see the difference. Although I am thinking I may sell my wheels and get something else as well.

Thanks for the advise mate, also I did not take it intentional, just fact.

So you're also running camber shims? this will certainly make a difference. You should just about get away with clearance on a 9.5 et18 on the rear of a narrow track corrado. However, with a shim, its going to pull the top of the wheel in. Firstly, there's not enough clearance to get away with this, secondly, you'll always be running on the inner tyre edge if you do. As long as your rear arches are cut/rolled (and you don't carry rear passengers) there should be no need for shim. You should be running 38-40psi with that kind of stretch and checking pressures and wear etc weekly. It's a PITA, but responsibility comes with pushing limits. There's a big difference between being silly & stupid.

Get rid of the extra spacers if you're running them and get rid of the shims. Best option if you can find another pair is to run 8.5's all round.

Cheers guys for all the help, and mic_VR, I know, I love the corvette wheels, but I may get rid of these and run different wheels

Hey bobby, live and learn I guess. At least you and the car are fine, like someone said previously it's only a tyre and maybe time for some different rims.... Shame though as those corvette? rims are sweet!

I used to do some crazy things to my cars in my yooooof. Including a clip on Ansa tailpipe on my Allegro that fell off on the motorway and smashed through the car behind's grille and radiator, attempting to rebuild the engine myself which resulted in blue smoke so bad, it was like fog, fitting Princess wheels, fitting MG Metro hydragas units, etc etc

The car was a death trap. Guys like me are the reason why VOSA / MOT / DVLA keep trying to ban car modifying :D

... clip on Ansa tailpipe on my Allegro that fell off on the motorway and smashed through the car behind's grille and radiator...

so you got your taste for car modifying from the austin allegro! :) you don't hear that often!

It's a right of passage though I reckon, messing with your first cars, I've lost wheel bolts from leaving them loose, bent valves from messing with cam belts, electrocuted myself with the HT circuit and nearly passed out from syphoning petrol (from my own car BTW!) I've not set fire to anything though...yet.

If you slash a tyre sidewall with a Stanley knife on a regular wheel / tyre combo once deflated the slash will attempt to reseal itself visually. The huge gaping grin shows how much stress has been inflicted on the sidewall over and above the usual vehicle weight, the sidewall has been trying to reduce the circumference of the tread crown block, something its not designed to do.

Hi all,

Driving into work today and this is what happened to me, does anyone know what could of caused this?

20131008_090821_zpsc3b8c259.jpg

Cheers

Bobby

so you got your taste for car modifying from the austin allegro! :) you don't hear that often!

It's a right of passage though I reckon, messing with your first cars, I've lost wheel bolts from leaving them loose, bent valves from messing with cam belts, electrocuted myself with the HT circuit and nearly passed out from syphoning petrol (from my own car BTW!) I've not set fire to anything though...yet.

Yep, my first car :D It was Mum's and she bought a MK2 Golf CL (how I grew to love VWs) at the time of me passing my test, so rather than selling / scrapping the All Aggro, they let me have it. What a mistake that was. I don't think Mum's ever forgiven me for the puddle of oil on the block paving :lol:

Same experiences with HT shocks, swallowing petrol, getting petrol in my eye, lapping in valves so much the seats were completely ground away (PMSL!!), fitting springs and shocks incorrectly, and yep messing up cam timing, the lot!!

I'll have to try and find a picture of it with it's graduated stripes I sprayed onto it on a cold, damp winters day :lol:

It was also the car for learning about crashing into things and putting it into ditches :D

lmao!

Everyone has to cut their teeth on a schitt car. Young'uns these days don't know how good they've got it!

Time to change the over-used "You're not a petrol head until you've owned X, Y or Z" phrase.

It now reads: "You're not a petrol head until you've owned an Allegro or a car just as bad, if that's even possible."

Well in that case, all is forgiven Kev! :bonk:

Seeing as we're onto stupid things we've done when working on the car, I've been pretty good with mechanical things, but I did almost put a set of long nosed pliers through my eye when changing the parcel shelf straps! Oh the shame.............

Yes indeed, nothing quite like having a wheel come off while cruising along. In my early motoring days I had two, one passed me out, the other was in my hands and was almost out the open window!!

Iv done my share of quality moves while working on cads and bikes , trying to get a spark plug of a kx125 thats stuck on full revs had me a nice bolt down the arm

About three months ago i was swapping my coilpack on the vr and i had my allen keys iv had forever and that have never once rounded off , until i accidentally connected the bolt allen key to the live on the battery and melted it haha now i have a cut down allen key , wat a ball bag

Ah memories. I was unfortunate enough to own an Aggro estate which looked like a mini hearse. At least it was easy to lower, just let the fluid out and drive on the bump stops.

On the original subject, I have never quite understood the whole stretch thing. Fitting wider wheels, yes. There's something about a wide wheel AND Tyre that looks good and probably the wider dod of rubber on the road gives greater grip. But fitting wheels that are basically to wide and as a result you fit a tyre that is too narrow for the rim just seems daft, looks stupid and can be dangerous as displayed by this thread.

But then I'm old, have a bus pass and confess I had a Talbot Horizon.

Everyone has to cut their teeth on a schitt car. Young'uns these days don't know how good they've got it!

Time to change the over-used "You're not a petrol head until you've owned X, Y or Z" phrase.

It now reads: "You're not a petrol head until you've owned an Allegro or a car just as bad, if that's even possible."

i agree Kev. Thats why i had a Rover Metro when i first passed my test :lol:

It was more the "got your taste for modifying cars from an Allegro" comment

Edited by Critical_Mass

Would have been worse if he said I'd got my inspiration from an Allegro :lol:

Talbot Horizon....mmmmmm. The tappiest engine known to man. You boys with 'tappey' VR6s haven't heard anything yet!

Would have been worse if he said I'd got my inspiration from an Allegro :lol:

Talbot Horizon....mmmmmm. The tappiest engine known to man. You boys with 'tappey' VR6s haven't heard anything yet!

So true. They did not have valve guides per se. The valves ran in the head.

My ex had a nice faded green one and I attempted to adjust the tappets, which was completely futile! Then I learned the valvetrain just wears out on them and it's impossible to get them quiet again.

Didn't pull badly for a 1300 though I must admit!